Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 20, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...lOQ4H7_t6veQJkqeyPFVwkdgKp9mlgaTEg1Wv3ggcENNQ
    Interesting.

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Police have a tough job to do and the available videos of police shootings do make it seem like an epidemic problem that it probably isn’t, but for a lot of those videos it does seem the killing wasn’t justified and rarely do I see something like a taser used first. It seems like “I warned them” was enough to justify the killing in their mind and in some of the public’s.

Also as far as I know they are trained to shoot to kill which is just disturbing. Was there a time in our history when they were trained to shoot to wound and that proved a failed tactic?

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if you have time to "wound" you have time to defuse the situation................. you can thank lawyers for that one.

I can't find the video on youtube that we were shown during CCW class. we we asked to simulate if we would shoot based on video and most of us either got shot or shot a guy pulling a cell phone....................
    that said the "I feared for my life" seems to be just too quick of an excuse.

4. raqball macrumors 68000

Law Enforcement are trained to disable and end the threat... They are not and should not be required to shoot an armed suspect in the toe nor be required to take 5 rounds to their own chest before they are allowed to use deadly force..

More wackiness from CA nothing else...

5. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

One could also provide police officers with more training in less than lethal force. Enough so it becomes muscle memory. If one receives a couple classes in how to use a taser and pepper spray but go to the gun range every week. Which is more likely to be ones instinctive choice in a dangerous situation?

The main problem is safety of the officer and bystanders. It is easier to hit someone center mass than an arm or leg. Every miss is a potentially lethal stray round for bystanders and another moment the perp can return fire. Center mass is also more likely to put someone out of commission immediately.

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

flip side to it is that "I feared for my life" ends up being used far too often, and other scenarios where cops get away with basically murder also come to mind.
    notable cases. Tamir rice, those cops should be behind bars.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

Disagree..... They should not have to wait for rounds to be fired at them. Rice had what they believed was a real gun and pulled it.. You expect them to take how many shots before responding?

The report on Rice was for a subject that keeps pulling out a gun and pointing at people...You think they knew it was a fake gun and they just wanted to murder him?

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

they way they rolled up on him was the dumbest thing ever in history." that guy is possibly armed, lets drive up within 5ft of him and ask him to show his hands while we exit the vehicle ready to kill him"...............
    sorry but those clowns should be behind bars.

9. raqball macrumors 68000

Sorry but they should NOT be.... You can nitpick and Monday morning quarterback them all you want but the fact is they should not be and are not...

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it's a travesty of justice.........

11. raqball macrumors 68000

Nope.....

They received a report of an armed subject pulling and pointing a weapon at others.
    They responded
    HE and HE alone made his bed by doing the same to armed officers
    They responded exactly as they should have

Nitpick the approach. Nitpick this, that or the other all you want but they did exactly as they should under the circumstances. This is a bad case to hang your 'out of control' police abuse hat on...

Unless your argument is they should be required to take 2, 3, 4 or 5 shots at them before they are allowed to respond... If that is not your argument, then they did exactly as they should have...

12. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I'll just never forget that story about this crazed white guy who was shooting people at an abortion clinic as well as firing at police and the police brought him in unharmed. But a 12-year-old black kid with a fake gun has to die.

I think this is a good idea, though I question how meaningful the distinction between "necessary" and "reasonable" is.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

there was no one else around, there was no reason at all to roll up on the kid like they did. negligent stupidity should at least be one of the charges.................

14. raqball macrumors 68000

Of course they needed to approach him. They did not know for a fact he was armed as it was a citizen report. When they saw the gun, he pulled it., they reacted..

Monday morning quarterback them all to your hearts content... The kid is dead because of his decisions and actions..

15. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if a guy is armed & "dangerous" then you don't have to roll up within 5ft of him when NO ONE ELSE IS IN DANGER........ not a single thing wrong with using the bullhorn........cops created the situation they found themselves in............ glad they are fired, sad they were hired by others.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

False... He created the situation the officers found themselves in... He forced their hand by pulling it out in a threading manner....

You are accusing the officers of murder just because in your opinion they should have handled the initial contact differently and that is flat out disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can nitpick all day long but I'd suggest you attend a citizens academy if your local department offers one, go on some ride alongs if they offer those and look into shoot don't shoot scenarios...

Was their approach reasonable? maybe, maybe not... Could they have made initial contact differently? Maybe, maybe not...

Did their choice of how to make contact have any bearing on his previous actions of pulling the gun and pointing at others? Nope.

Did their choice of how to make contact have any bearing on actions to pull the gun and point at them? Nope.

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

cops could have stayed in the car................... used the bullhorn to make the kid show his hands and keep them up, if your partner dropped you off within 5ft of a "armed" threat you just might put a bullet on your stupid partner for doing so, thor knows I would have...............there was no one else around or in danger.

18. JayMysterio, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019

JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

That's been a recurring complaint. That sometimes officers will create a situation they find themselves in danger, as opposed to defusing a situation, a priority.

19. raqball macrumors 68000

Wow, just wow...........

I'd suggest you attend a citizens academy if your local department offers one, go on some ride alongs if they offer those and look into shoot don't shoot scenarios..

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

did you miss post 3? from there.
    ***I can't find the video on youtube that we were shown during CCW class. we we asked to simulate if we would shoot based on video and most of us either got shot or shot a guy pulling a cell phone....................*****
    not everyone belongs in uniform, no matter how much you think of them as brothers in arms............

21. appleisking macrumors 6502a

He’s obviously biased. I doubt there’s ever a situation where he wouldn’t side with police even if they were definitely wrong.

22. raqball macrumors 68000

And yet I've said nothing of the sort...

You brought up an incident and I am commenting on that incident... I don't think you have a clue which it why I am recommending you attend citizen academy or do ride alongs.

Stay in the car? Come on man... Thats a pretty dumb recommendation.. Why would the officer restrict themself inside a car and possible allow themselves to take fire contained inside a nice little box....

23. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Shooting around the edges will get you killed.
    Or your partner.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

Considering I testified against a team member who was accused of evidence manipulation and theft of a large quantity of methamphetamine, I'd say your comment is pure fiction...

But since you know me so well, anything else you'd like to share about me?

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the "armed" guy is looking at you driving towards him, please tell me you would NOT put YOUR partner in such danger like the moron who was driving did????? cops there needlessly created a situation where the only outcome was going to be someone getting shot.
    I only have time for IDPA,no time for the academy or ride alongs.

for the record based on MY anecdotes obviously my interactions with cops have to date been all positive, yet I am not blind to the fact that there appear to be far too many rotten apples in the tree..........