Father, daughter have child together

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by heehee, Apr 7, 2008.

1. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Father, daughter have child together

A SOUTH Australian father and daughter have revealed they are a couple, and have had a child together.

John and Jenny Deaves reunited 30 years after Mr Deaves separated from Jenny's mother.

Jenny was 31 and just two weeks after meeting, father and daughter had sex.

"John and I are in this relationship as consenting adults," Mrs Deaves told the Nine Network's 60 Minutes tonight.

"We are just asking for a little bit of respect and understanding."

Their nine-month-old daughter Celeste, shown on TV, appears fit and healthy.

Mrs Deaves said soon after reuniting with her father she began to see him as a man first and her father second.

"I was looking at him, sort of going, oh, he's not too bad," she said.

"Like you might look at a man across the bar at a nightclub."

Mrs Deaves brought two children, Samantha and Alex, into the relationship after splitting from her former partner.

Mr Deaves admitted that he "initially" thought having sex with his daughter was wrong.

"Emotions take over, as people no doubt realise, there are times during your life where emotions do rule the heart, it rules the head," he said.

"I knew it was illegal, of course I knew it was illegal but you know, so what."

Mrs Deaves said the physical relationship with her father was like "a sexual relationship with any other man".

For Mr Deaves the sexual relationship was "absolutely fantastic".

A South Australian police media spokesman said "the couple is being monitored".

:rolleyes:

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

That is a cute baby...with one very creepy conception.

4. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

The babies name rhymes with incest. Coincidence I think not lol!! Feel really sorry for the child though, that story is just plain wrong no matter what way they try and spin it.

5. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm not sure how to look at this.

It seems that the father left when the daughter was only 1. It is unclear whether they had any contact over the 30 year period (although the article implies no). While this does not erase the fact that they are related, it does alter the wrongness-factor to me.

If the child is healthy and the couple are happy - well, OK then.

I can't help but wondering about the general health of the Aussie dating scene, however...

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

My first reaction: this is wrong.

After reading again: Wrong.

EDit: Really, really wrong.

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

After 30 years separation, I could understand the mistake of a one night stand... but by the second date they should have figured everything out.

"Say I don't even know your least name..."

"Deaves."

"Wow, that's my last name too. What's you're father's name, we might be distantly related."

"Let's not talk about him, he abandoned us 30 years ago."

"Really? I abandoned my wife and kids 30 years ago. My daughter would be about your age... oh."

10. heehee thread starter macrumors 68020

heehee

You think the kid will be calling the guy dad or grandpa, or the women mom or sis? :confused:

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

This is almost appropriate, although not nearly as ucky...

12. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Dad! Dad! She sent me to my room! She can't do that, I'm just as high up in this family as she is.... Waaaaaahhhhhh....

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

That was my first question upon reading the article.

But, it doesn't change the fact that they didn't really have the bond that comes with a father-daughter relationship. Being gone from the family for 30 years, he was as much an emotional stranger as any other guy she might have met at a bar.

Riddle me this Batman - what is creepier: a) a guy hooking up with the 31yo daughter he abandoned when she was one or b) a guy hooking up with his 31yo stepdaughter who he has been family with since she was one?

I wouldn't be able to handle the idea of hooking up with my daughter, but if it works for them and the kid is healthy...

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It's not quite clear from the article, but it sounds like they recognized that they were father and daughter *before* they had sex. THAT is the weirdest part to me. It would still be pretty screwed up if they had met each other, formed this whole relationship, and THEN found out. But that their father-daughter connection was not sufficient to prevent them from going forward with this is really freaky.

I feel bad for the kid. Imagine having to explain this to friends, teachers, acquaintances. Can you even wrap your mind around how much therapy this child is going to need?!!

15. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Man that kid's life is going to be hell. Can you imagine school? That kind of story won't be easy to keep quiet. I wonder if the authorities should intervene?

16. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I understand that - and it is somewhere between wierd and reprehensible.

My point was that if they had not ever had a father-daughter relationship, then they are only father-daughter genetically. What would be truly icky yo me is if they had, as there is a bunch more perversion going on under that scenario.

To use a (probably crap) analogy - You are one of two kids given up for adoption. You grow up, vaguely knowing you had a sister/brother - but know nothing about them. In your 30s, you meet a girl/boy and really hit it off. After a little while, it comes to light you are the two kids in question.

Now, although I would certainly be wierded out by such a bombshell if I was either one of these (theoretical) people - perhaps too much to continue the relationship - I might also weigh that against how I felt about him/her. After all, we never had a brother/sister relationship.

I can't bring myself to condemn this couples' choice w/ only the info at hand.

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Again, I feel like your scenario is a bit off because you're suggesting they hit it off and then discovered this situation. Here, my read of it is that it was the other way around.

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

That so disgusting. I feel so bad for the child who will spend her entire life being made fun of.

It must be interesting having your Mom also be your half sister.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I didn't mean to condemn... or endorse. I've long advocated that consenting adults can do what they want behind closed doors. But that doesn't mean I can't feel weird about what they do/did if it becomes public knowledge.

This is further complicated by the presence of the child, and I do feel sorry for the child as she grows up with the identity of her parents now being in the public domain.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

chemist - I posted before I knew that tidbit.

Still, as wierd as it is, their "relation" is also a very abstract concept...

21. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

that's what bothers me the most
    your dad is also your grandfather and your mom is your sister
    you're brothers and sisters are your cousins and uncles and if you have kids then that would mean that ......:confused: :confused: :confused: i'm confused

well i'll say this: the creation of a human is never wrong. but what's going on with its parents/sisters/grandparents is extremely gross

22. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

23. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

In my opinion, whether the parents are punished or not (incest is illegal, right?), the child needs to be taken away and given up for adoption. With no connection to the parents in his whole life. It's the only way to save that poor bugger.

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Here's a pertinent question that should probably be asked that has nothing to do with their relation.

Why would she even consider having a child or stick around a guy who abandoned a family 30 years ago and has evidently had only minimal contact with them in that time? Why would she expect him to stick around this time?