Father jailed after daughter fails to get diploma

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ArmyKnight12, May 13, 2008.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well there is that too. i mean the girl is 18 now, the parents now have no say over her actions if she doesn't want to hear it.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that certainly is wrong. I hope he appeals.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

That judge needs a dunce cap stapled to his head.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, that is outrageous. What is wrong with that Judge??? :confused: :rolleyes:

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Lots of things wrong with that judge. His judgement is one example, which is ironic for a Judge.

:confused:

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'll bet there is much more to this than the article portrays.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

How is an 18 year old (now 19) classed as a minor?

Also its her life she's stuffing up so leave her to it. Just a shame about the kid.

10. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I smell a lawsuit in the near future. How can this judge do this when the girl is an adult. She's almost 19! His legal responsibility for her has ended and the judge has no grounds for punishing him for what his adult child (oxymoron?) does.

So let's assume this judge has a 27 year old son who gets nabbed for a DUI. How would the judge feel if he was thrown in jail because of his adult son's crime? I'd say that's a safe comparison.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, even if the father was ordered to make sure she gets her high school diploma when she was 17 (ie: a minor), I feel his responsibility over her education still should have ended when she turned 18. Also, if her mother is her legal guardian, then...

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Not one that survives summary judgment. Judicial immunity.

13. hmmfe macrumors regular

I suspect you are correct, but judicial immunity would not apply if the judge lacked jurisdiction. A long shot, but you never know. Considering her age, it would at least be one argument to make. It could possibly be a sufficent question of fact to survive summary judgement.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i was referring to their lack of 'control' and discipline over their daughter

in the article there was a line when the mother said "we'd drop her off and she'd just leave out another door" which just screams of bad parenting to me, which i know isn't the focus of the article, but if they would've been a bit more proactive they wouldn't be in this situation now.

but i agree that the father shouldn't be held accountable now that the daughter is no longer a minor.

15. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'll agree that there must have been some damn poor parenting going on throughout this child's life to bring things to this point, but you can't really expect any parent to spend their days staking out the school to make sure their kid stays put, can you?:) That's probably the one area over which the parent has the least actual control. You can work at home to build character and provide a support system that promotes academic excellence all day long [or not, apparently;)], but you cannot enforce the child staying in school all day. All you can really do about truancy is discipline after the fact.

Anyhoo, it is absurd to hold the father in jail now that she is an adult.

17. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

In the US, a person between the ages of 18-21 is still considered a Minor if they are legally a 'Dependant' on a parent or legal Guardian. Often times the indicator of this is still living with the parent or legal Guardian.

What's interesting is this quote from the article: "Brittany Gegner, who said Monday that she plans to take a required GED test this month, said her father shouldn't be blamed for her failure because she has been living with her mother."

So, technically according to the law, it's Ma that should be in trouble.

But I agree, the whole thing is a load of <insert colorful metaphor here>

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe Ohio is different, but in Missouri, you can legally drop out of high school at 16....I don't see how this is the father's fault

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

...only with parental consent. I imagine the parents never allowed her to drop out, and she simply failed to graduate.

Pretty stupid to put the father in jail, even if they have perhaps done a less-than-stellar parenting job. The state should be teaching the daughter that her actions have consequences in her life (in case the baby hasn't already provided an example) rather than implying that her parents are still responsible for what she does...

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

21. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Expect a lawsuit within a week.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd say its more of a way to not set up laws.

Parents only have so much control.