Father of 3 shot by mom's new boyfriend during custody exchange in Granada Hills, police say

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 23, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-new...Awmy-prQAeg968NB8sv_gBby6LZZR6q8104rYyn1C_ZAs

don't want to get shot? don't use your car as a deadly weapon, HOW is this attempted murder when the other idiot was using his car as a deadly weapon? only in CA.........

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Dunno, police is investigating and a judge/jury will decide what is what later on....

Do we have all the facts? The picture in the article shows a pickup and sedan both with no obvious damage so I doubt there was enough speed involved to make the car "a deadly weapon".

Guy also wasn't shoot while he was aiming his car at the other one, but after the fact.
    So it seems that Lopez wasn't in clear danger when he fired his gun, hence a murder charge might stick.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sad thing here is the trauma to the kids, women making stupid choices and the new BF being a freaking moron by being there as well.

4. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Nah, "being there" I might understand since the father clearly had some anger issues he might have vented on the ex.

Sometimes the s### just hits the fan, and when guns are present someone hits the floor.

5. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Guns wouldn’t have come out if the father hadn’t hit the new boy toy.

A vehicle does not have to be going very fast to be a deadly weapon.

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

The other guy was sitting in his car, so yes a non minor impact would have been needed to make the car "deadly".

He then got out of the car and pulled the trigger, at which point the prior fender-bender was little more than a possible motive.

7. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I couldn't find it in the article, but was the shooter allowed to to legally possess the gun?

8. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I feared for my life.....

That's all he really has to say.

9. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Reading updated info elsewhere, both men fathered kids with the woman. And are known gang members. Looks like the charges will be upgraded to murder as the victim is not expected to live.

All around bad parenting. Custody exchanges should happen under family court/services supervision to prevent **** like this. Especially not in front of a 7 year old. :mad:

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

article is on post 1.
    no details on a CCW permit.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2019 ---
    source?

and it's about impossible to do so, not enough man power to handle it.

11. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

https://abc7.com/father-shot-during-custody-exchange-in-granada-hills/5266250/

"Investigators described the suspect as the boyfriend of the woman with whom the victim was conducting the custody exchange. The woman has children with the two men, both of whom are known gang members, the LAPD said."

Well there's a lot more manpower and resources being expended now as a result of poor decisions by the adults.

Edited to add: Readers on the CBS5 FB post on this news says the father has died. And apparently the bf may have fled as police initially thought it was a driveby.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

kids are well on their way to follow their fathers foot steps :(

13. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Assault is a funny thing. Flicking someone is assault. Intentionally tapping someone with a baseball bat is assault with a deadly weapon. All that is technically required in many jurisdictions is intentional contact or reckless conduct with the deadly weapon. My interpretation of the law would be. Even if the boyfriend tapped the exes car at 1MPH. If it was done intentionally with the ex in the car being hit. It would legally qualify as assault with a deadly weapon.

That being said, the question is use of force. It will be up to a court to decide if the use of force was warranted. Without knowing the events. I could not venture a guess if it was legally warranted.

14. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I wouldn't assume that. They are in protective custody. Let's hope they're put into a good home, with loving and rational parents that will look out for their best interests. Unlike the three parents in this tragedy.