Father shoots, kills home intruder in Lancaster

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 13, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://abc7.com/5296891/

play stupid games win stupid prizes

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Oh please, he could have just used a knife.

/s

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Smarter in Europe where they won’t get shot?

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

True, but nothing to celebrate. There is no death penalty for burglary, so while I understand the homeowner's actions and do not condemn them, this was self-defense, not justice.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Burglars here burgle you in the middle of the day when you’re not there even though they know you couldn’t shoot them anyway. American burglars seem to enjoy the confrontation and the risk of dying judging by the amount of stories I see!

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

property is not worth someone's life, that I agree with.
    nah, plenty steal here during the middle of the day, the one that almost ran my wife over was doing it because he thought no one was home.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Scary. Where I am in Scotland people can accidentally leave their front door open and nothing gets stolen. There's an advantage to living at the the same latitude as the Hudson Bay. Hope your wife was OK after this, and I hope the burglar got serious time.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

she was seriously scared then pissed, enough that after 25 years of marriage she wanted to learn how to shoot guns :eek: (she has never shared that interest and I have never forced her to go with me shooting) that of course went away after a few weeks. guy did not get caught . the SUV he fled in did not hit her and only the lawnmower was missing .

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Did your wife chase him to his car or something?

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

no, guys car was parked in our driveway and caught him coming out of the back yard. house next door was getting work done and she thought the guy was parked at the wrong house.

12. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

13. trillionaire macrumors regular

trillionaire

If a stranger breaks into your home, you have to assume they are up to no good. You don't know their intentions and you don't know what they will do if they are caught. I don't blame anyone for taking action when someone breaks into their home.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

If I lived in the States and I came hone to find my house being burgled, I’m calling the police and putting my life before material possessions. I wouldn’t be taking anyone on unless I had to and knowing the gun culture there I’d give any intruder a wide berth.

15. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

That's fine and all...I'd do the same. But that isn't the scenario in this story. The robber broke into an occupied house and proceeded to an upstairs bedroom where the homeowner and children were hiding.

At best this is a home invasion robbery, but if an intruder is breaking into an occupied house and going upstairs, there are certainly worse possibilities than someone looking to score a TV.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

smart move no matter where you live, possessions are not worth killing or getting killed over, that said the father was protecting his children upstairs.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I was commenting generally, anyway.

No matter where you live you’ll protect your family with any means necessary, I’m just glad it’s so rare where I live I don’t tend to worry about it.

18. lostngone, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019

lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

He should get an award, at least the people in that area know there is one less burglar they have to deal with. In my area even if they are caught in the act by the police they are out on the streets again in less than 24 hours AND even IF they show up to count and are convicted in and out of jail in 30 to 60 days(even repeat offenders) and doing the same things again.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Really? It's definitely not like that in Virginia.

In any case the homeowner does not deserve a medal. He does deserve our sympathy, for while I think anybody would be relieved they removed the threat, I doubt he feels like a hero. I would imagine mostly now he's thinking of his kids. In two separate instances I've done serious damage to somebody who attacked me (both in Cleveland - I really hate Cleveland). In both cases it was self-defense, but my actions were hardly brave or worth celebrating. I was scared s***less and everything I did was raw instinct. I can't imagine what it must be like to have actually killed somebody.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

can't be easy to take a life, even in self defense.:(

21. VictorTango777, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 15, 2019

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

By police standards, this was not proper self defense since the father only fired one shot. In order to be considered proper self defense, the father should have emptied his entire clip into the person even if that person did not attempt to attack anyone - just as police do, Then he should have reloaded and continued shooting the burglar. Each person in the house should have had a gun so they could all empty their clips into the burglar at the same time - just as the police do.

22. Altis macrumors 68030

It must'nt be. I feel sorry for those put in that situation, of no fault of their own. People of good conscience have to bear the burden, sadly.

I suspect since the guy only took one shot, he really didn't intend for it to be lethal. I hope this doesn't weigh on him and he has support in his life.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Just a tad cynical, don't you think? But yeah, US police seem to start firing and continue to fire until they run out of bullets. The British police don't seem to do that so often, perhaps because they are less frightened that the people they encounter will have guns. Indeed, where I live the police do not patrol routinely with guns.

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The police don’t carry guns where I live either as there is virtually no need. Coppers here spend most of their time clearing kids out of the town centre, moving druggies on, tracking down stolen cars and arresting shoplifters. It’s not exactly Vice City and criminals around my area would not routinely carry firearms. People also tend not to celebrate killing intruders and trespassers like in other countries lol.

25. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

What would happen if one of the children encountered the burglar first and the parents were in a different area of the house? Then who would protect the kids? What if an armed parent decides one day that he/she has had enough and starts shooting up the house with family inside? And who is going to protect the kids once they walk outside of the house? It is not possible for kids to be surrounded by "a good guy with a gun" every minute of every day. Even then, a smart killer would target that "good guy" first.

We need to arm our children so they can protect themselves even when an armed adult is not around. The Second Amendment places no restriction on the minimum age for "the people to keep and bear Arms". Children are people, therefore they have as much right to be armed as any adult.

Arming children would help protect them from bullies and kidnappers. It would also be good for the economy. Gun manufacturers could increase sales by making guns for different age groups such as "My First Gun" for 5-8 years old, and so forth. Schools should replace Physical Education period with shooting. Gun ranges could offer children's classes, complete with mascots in costumes. They could have birthday parties where the kids could take turns shooting the candles off the cake.

Think of the children!