Faulty iPhone 6, less than a week old. HELP.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluewomble88, Oct 5, 2014.

1. bluewomble88 macrumors regular

I got my new IPHONE from the store last week. It is a new replacement for the first which had numerous issues. This new one has a physical defect out the box.

I cannot afford to go back to the store again. It costs a lot and it's far.
    I have spoken to Apple on the phone and they aren't helping. They are basically offering me a white box replacement (no way) or telling me to go back to the store. They will NOT let me send this unit to them for a refund and then allow me to buy online a new one. They say all phones bought from the store must be taken back to the store.

What do I do?
    I just can't face another long and expensive trip into a store. Surely as one company they can let me send this in?

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

3. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Really don't get why people think they are entitled to a replacement shrink wrapped retail phone. The warranty clearly states you will only get a service unit which might be refurbished. Yes it's an issue brand new out of box. So you have to deal through the retail channel and not warranty replacement. And retail channel requires it you take it back to original point of purchase. Soon you're going to ask to get reimbursed for gas money. Sorry it's not what you want to hear, but this is the situation you have to deal with which clearly you rather just whine about instead.

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Also if it had a physical defect right out of the box why didn't you exchange it while you were at the store? Why leave and go home?

5. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

What would actually help us give you any help would be some information about the defect.

Just sayin'.

6. Pluto88888 macrumors regular

Just visit the store again and this time make sure you open the box up instore and check for any faults before you leave.

7. 617aircav Suspended

then take the white box replacement.

8. sheldomacrumors macrumors member

Justify the cost of the one trip over the period of time with the device being faulty as you say. The trip is always worth it to get what you pay for which should be a device you see fit for purpose.

9. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, because a little thing called the law states that I'm entitled to a brand new unit if it's faulty within such a short time.

It didn't present itself until a day after I got it home (Friday). The home button is soft and double-clicks when pressing for touch ID. It hasn't been assembled right. I did NOT damage it.

Why should I? I paid for a brand new unit, I therefore expect it to be replaced under consumer law for a brand new unit.

10. 617aircav Suspended

Which you can get by going back to the place you bought it, as per the law.

11. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Are you out of your 14 day return period?

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

At this point the white box replacements are new units. It'll take a bit of time before the refurbs start coming into the cycle (and even then I think I'd be okay with that. My refurbs have always been better quality than the brand new units)

13. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

I shouldn't have to at great expense to myself. I've done it once, all I'm asking is an address to send it to for a refund so I can order another online. It's not hard to grasp.

No, I am not.

14. iphonehype macrumors 6502

The replacement they'll send you using online service will be a brand new unit. You've got options, choose one stop being so fussy

15. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So you purchased the original one within 14 days right? Not the replacement. Just want to make sure as if you are in the 14 days just return it and buy a brand new one.

16. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have options. They will not let me send a phone I bought in store to them at all. They just keep saying "go to the store". I can't. It's really far and costs a lot to get there.

17. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

As I mentioned, you're looking for an retail exchange for your out of box issue. Entirely separate from a warranty claim. The number you called is strictly for warranty exchanges hence why they will offer to replace with a service unit. Only the point of purchase can handle the retail exchange assuming they have stock on hand.

18. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

drive to the store, because what if the one you order is messed up, too? at the store you can inspect it before you leave.

19. iphonehype macrumors 6502

But you can have a white box replacement is brand new? How much does it cost to visit store?

20. bluewomble88 thread starter macrumors regular

Well that's utter BS. Apple is one company. It's not like I bought an Experia from CPW and want to send it directly back to Sony is it!?

----------

They aren't brand new.

21. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

They are brand new. They have not been out long enough to have refurbs yet.

22. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

For us to really get your point, what is this great expense you need to get to this far away Apple Store? Even if you had to drive 100 miles, that's only like $15

23. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

You have options to get a new phone, OP. If one doesn't make your exact requirements so as to not throw your life in complete and utter turmoil, then oh, well.

----------

And at this stage of the game, a white box replacement is NEW.

They are.

So you have literally been given the option you want, but because you are being so petulant and stubborn for some reason, you refuse to accept it.

24. 617aircav Suspended

Op wants to be able to send in the device he bought at a retail location to Apple.com. He has to return it to the retail location, where he purchased the device. You can't return a store bought item by mail. Never heard of this being done.