Faulty New Macbook Pro - £200 for Replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adapsys, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Adapsys macrumors member

Adapsys

I'm looking for some advice. On Friday I received a new Macbook Pro which I purchased on the refurb store using my company's discount. Over the weekend I discovered that the macbook was making a strange noise so phoned Apple this morning to arrange a replacement. They informed me that because it was a refurb I could not have a replacement, only a refund. I would then need to order another one online.

So I arranged the return and went online to re-order. The price for the exact same model is now £200 more. So I phoned Apple and explained and after speaking with several people they have said I have to pay the extra £200, even though it was Apple's fault the original macbook was faulty.

Surely this isn't right? Any advice?

2. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I think if you push long and hard enough you could get a replacement or be allowed to buy the same model for the same price, however I've read some other users posts on getting things back from Apple and a lot of the time it depends who you are talking to.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

To me it sounds like there's not much of a warranty on a refurb. I'm glad I never buy refurbs; I'd rather pay the full price and get a proper warranty.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...refurbs are supposed to have a "new" one year warranty on them...

Why didn't you see about having them repair it/check it?

What model did you get and what model were they telling you was 200 GBP more = were you sure they were the same model?

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Bingo. Refurbs come with a 1 year warranty, should you should just bring it to an Apple store or a certified repair place and get it fixed.... Sending it back makes absolutely no sense, sorry.

6. Adapsys thread starter macrumors member

Adapsys

I guess I could ask about repair. Although they never mentioned it and I don't like the idea that something that is brand new needs repairing so soon.

It's the 2.8 macbook pro model with 4gb RAM, 320GB HD and 512MB graphics. The model is exactly the same as I checked the model number and so did the sales guy.

When I get home I'm gonna give them another call. If I don't get anywhere with the price then I'll ask about repair.

I was thinking I could order one at the higher price and swap the machine over with the faulty one, then return it. I know thats not strictly right, but Apple aren't exactly setting the bar very high here!

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Just get it fixed. If you drove a new car off a lot and a few days later the engine started rattling, they would fix the car not give you a new one.

Same concept here. I got a refurb Macbook Air for work and the laptop was broken on arrival (screen was ghosting badly on black colors). Called Apple, they made a case, brought it into a repair place, 2 days later I got it back with a entirely new display. And the laptop was significantly cheaper than it would have been new still. Refurbs are not a bad thing. You save lots of money for a system that looks brand new and carries a full 1 year warranty.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...why have the cost of two machines tied up like that when they will repair it for no cost to you as its under the warranty for a year?

9. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

That's a very misleading title - it's not a faulty new MacBook pro, it's a faulty refurbed MacBook pro.

I think what they're saying is fair enough. It'd be like buying a second hand car, finding a fault and then wanting a replacement without paying more. Surely refurbed mac are priced on their condition, specs etc.?

10. TooSixy macrumors newbie

Not strictly right? That's out right stealing! There's something that's called Serial Number. Do you think Apple is stupid enough to let you swap the machines and return the wrong one without checking the SN?

11. Adapsys thread starter macrumors member

Adapsys

That was a joke... a reflection on Apple :p

I'll give them a call about a repair tonight and let you know how it goes!

12. RedRiver macrumors newbie

I mostly always use the refurb store.
    I had a 14" iBook with a noisy hard drive - Apple picked it up and returned it fixed.
    Had a G4 17" iMac with a ghosting flat panel - went back to Apple and got it fixed.

I work on the principle that in the process of saving $200 or so sending the computer away to get fixed is worth it.

My MBP classic was bought brand new and went back for fixing twice - a small buzzing problem then replacement panel so whether it's refurb or not you might have to get a part replaced, that's just the way it goes. I'm pretty fussy though with my equipment, most people probably wouldn't have complained about the issues I have had.

ALL refurb carry EXACTLY the same warranty as brand new item.
    Use your saving to get AppleCare!!

13. Adapsys thread starter macrumors member

Adapsys

Finally managed to speak to someone at Apple with some sense. They have agreed to extend the 14 day return period until after the macbook has been looked at by the repair team (that way I still have the option to return).

They have also agreed to compansate me for the trouble - which was nice! Hopefully we can get it repair without too much trouble.

Thanks for the advice!