Faux News tries to scare viewers with U.N. seating chart

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 22, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/9/22/784853/-Fox:-U.N.-seating-chart-reveals-Obama-terror-agenda

(yes, I know that's not exactly an unbiased site, but the video on the link speaks for itself)

So at the U.N. Security Council meeting on Thursday, President Obama will be seating a few feet away from Lybian leader Moammar Qadaffi and Faux News is trying its usual scare tactics with viewers. They're making a huge deal out of absolutely nothing. Not to mention the fact that all you heard from Faux News was crickets when McCain met with Qadaffi in Lybia shortly before the Lockerbie bomber was released.

Can someone remind me how they're able to call themselves "fair and balanced" without breaking any laws and regulations regarding false advertising?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry- lawsuits need to be filed against Fox.

The need to be reclassified as a propaganda channel, not a news channel. I can't believe they get away with this BS. :mad: I read the article, I'll have to watch the vid later.

Tomorrow- this is why people think conservatives are nuts.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Did anyone watch the video? Its clipped footage of them saying "he is going to be sitting 5 chairs away from Qadaffi". There was tension surrounding the recent lockerbie celebration in Libya. President Obama even said that the move was a mistake. Its like sitting a few chairs down to the guy who ****ed your girlfriend.

Once again mountain out of a mole hill. I don't even see the correlation between the video presented and the article written. In fact I think it shows a very big disconnect from recent goings on in the world and the response from the US surrounding this issue.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Dont bother with your logic. Many people are to blind to see that this is taking one line clips and trying to make fox look bad.

While yes Fox is bad this little blog entry is even worse. It is yet another example of the problem with how the internet has ruined the news.

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Why even bring it up? They're all going to be in the same room anyways. What does it matter if Obama sits next to him or across the room from him. And why no mention from Faux when McCain went to Lybia to meet with Qadaffi? This was right before the Lockerbie bomber came home but it was still in the news and it was all but certain that Scotland would release him.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- given this response, I went to a computer in the office that was a bit more private. Watched the video, and I have to say this should embarrass the hell out of Fox News. "Is the seating arrangement embarrassing for the White House?" WTF? What are they exactly trying to say here? I think it's quite clear.

A mountain out a molehill indeed- on the part of Faux News.

No one has to try to make Fox look bad.

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

oooh... so your saying that news organizations don't all sensationalize their presentations? I would put it more on the presenter than the company as a whole. I have some real whack job friends down here that work at CNN... and they like to see what they can get away with... sometimes calling me to give me a heads up. I expect the same at Fox.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Like OMG! When I first saw this seating chart I was all "AHHHHHHHHH!" and very scared. But THEN I turned on MSNBC and surfed over to dailyKOS and I felt soooo much betterer. :cool:

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If it were one presenter, you'd have a point.

Apparently, so was everyone at Faux News.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I thought Obama was more disappointed that he didn't get to sit next to the little red headed girl. *sad face*

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Because they are covering the event and it might be a little awkward sitting next to someone who basically just took a **** on your doorstep a few weeks ago. I personally wouldn't want to sit anywhere near him.

On a side note does anyone know off hand if they let Qadaffi set up his "tent" in the area that was protested?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me but, didn't Scotland release the bomber? If anyone s*** on anybody, it's Scotland (not that they did, and it's their business). Libya just got their guy back. That's all. Good god, how do people make the most convoluted things out of this?

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Like most news stories (G20)/stations they have a set list they cover every hour, the broadcast will be about the same no matter who is hosting.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Perhaps you forgot about the celebration in Libya. Im sure the families of those killed understand though.

15. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

And my point still stands. Why didn't they freak out about McCain visiting Qadaffi as he had his pants down and was squatting over the doorstep preparing to squeeze one out?

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They probably weren't covering a story about a senator who failed to be elected president as closely as a G20 meeting with the president of the US. They have to have information to use as filler or it would be a pretty quiet news day on G20 coverage, this just happens to be part of it. Whats wrong with reporting who the president is going to be sitting next to anyways? They mention Gordon Brown sitting near him also, am I supposed to be scared of him now too? Is that a fear tactic? OHNOEZ ZE ENGLISH!

17. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Looks like cherry picking quotes on the part of Daily Kos to me...

Although, I do have a new nutjob pundit to add to my list (as if it isn't already long enough). WTF is John Bolton trying to prove around the :40 mark? :rolleyes:

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What were they supposed to do? Execute the guy on arrival? This in no way is s***ing on us at all. If the situation were reversed, what do you think we would be doing? And IIRC, there wasn't even enough evidence to keep the guy in the first place. Don't you think that a lot of people would be celebrating the release of someone wrongly accused? Christ- this isn't black and white here.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The only reason he was released was medical reasons.

If my family had been killed by a terrorist and his home country celebrated his re-arrival which should have never happened I don't think I would be able to describe the level of pissed off I would be for the country who was celebrating. Its a blatant show of disrespect towards the US people who were killed.

20. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The Lybian government was specifically asked to be sensitive about his return and to not rub it in the faces of the victims (by Gordon Brown).

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Again- this is not a black and white issue:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32487856/ns/world_news-terrorism/page/2/

Again, you refuse to put the shoe on the other foot. How do you think many people in Iraq feel when they see us celebrate our soldiers' return?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, the pretext for his release was compassionate/medical reasons. The conviction was dodgy as hell, and vital evidence was withheld at both trial and appeal. The conviction was political, the release was engineered to avoid a further appeal.

No it is not. The man was in all likelihood innocent. I would be pissed off at the US government for conniving in the convenient fiction of Libyan guilt instead of pursuing the Iranian/Syrian connection which made far more sense, except that the Syrians were being courted to be part of the "Coalition" against Iraq in GW1 and were let off the hook. The Iranians had every reason to want to bring down a US civil airliner, since the US had shot down Iran Air 655 a couple of months earlier.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I can't believe you just paralleled a deliberate terrorist action to our troops trying to instill democracy into Iraq and to liberate the people, even if you don't agree with the war it was still a far cry from terrorism on the part of the troops.

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I never said it was black and white did I? I merely pointed out that it was indeed a slap in the face given at least one direct request.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Evidence?

Evidence?