favorite Indie bands

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
What are some of your favorite indie pop bands? Some of my favorites include (in no particular order):

- The Decemberists
- Death Cab For Cutie
- Basement Apartments
- Halloween, Alaska
- BC Camplight
- American Analog Set
- Of Montreal
- Built Like Alaska

Maybe this thread could start an indie revolution, people will keep finding new bands. That would be so awesome... :) :) :)

mike3k

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
some of these aren't really indies:

antibalas
babaloo
children of the revolution
mike doughty (does he count as indie even though he signed with ato records?)
johnny clegg
mogwai
sigur ros
string cheese incident
they might be giants

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Death Cab for Cutie is the only bad in this genre that I've really listened to. I've been hooked ever since I heard them open for Pearl Jam. They were one of the best live bands I've seen.

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
The Decemberists
Grandaddy
Belle & Sebastian
Eels

5 days ago, I saw The Decemberists play at the Orange Peel--a medium sized club in Asheville, North Carolina. The show was INCREDIBLE. About halfway through the show, however, midway through The Chimbley Sweep, a short, shaggy-looking figure emerged from backstage with a guitar around his neck, shredding away an amazing solo. The jam session continued for about 30 seconds before people figured out who the denim-jacket clad rocker was--Ryan Adams, who was to be performing at the Civic Center the next night (I was there, too). Ryan proceeded to lie on his back, playing the guitar, and the lead singer for Decemberists motioned for all 700 people in the club to sit down cross-legged as the entire band played out the rest of the song lying on their backs.

If anyone wants to hear how I got hit on by Rachael Yamagata the very next night, let me know. Just don't want to bore anyone.

polyesterlester

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2002
Soldotna, Alaska
A lot of these really aren't indie bands...

The Robot Ate Me
John Butler Trio
Ginger Ninjas
Running With Knives
The Microphones
Clyde Federal
Mclusky (R.I.P.)
M. Ward
Andrew Bird
CocoRosie
Devendra Banhart
Quasar Wut-Wut

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
apple2991 said:
The Decemberists
Grandaddy
Belle & Sebastian
Eels

5 days ago, I saw The Decemberists play at the Orange Peel--a medium sized club in Asheville, North Carolina. The show was INCREDIBLE. About halfway through the show, however, midway through The Chimbley Sweep, a short, shaggy-looking figure emerged from backstage with a guitar around his neck, shredding away an amazing solo. The jam session continued for about 30 seconds before people figured out who the denim-jacket clad rocker was--Ryan Adams, who was to be performing at the Civic Center the next night (I was there, too). Ryan proceeded to lie on his back, playing the guitar, and the lead singer for Decemberists motioned for all 700 people in the club to sit down cross-legged as the entire band played out the rest of the song lying on their backs.

If anyone wants to hear how I got hit on by Rachael Yamagata the very next night, let me know. Just don't want to bore anyone.
I envy you, I wish i was there!!!!!!!!!! The Decemberists are so awesome, i've loved them since Castaways and Cutouts, and their cds just get better and better. Picaresque totally is awesome, especially since there is a shofar in "The Infanta." The Decemberists are just so unique with their historic stories and folk instruments, its like a breath of fresh air.

ldenman

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
bright eyes
grandaddy
sigur ros
mogwai
rilo kiley
desaperacidos
elbow
daniel johnston
devendra banhart
cocorosie
postal service..

thats all for now.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
Too many to list but here goes:

The Arcade Fire
The Arrogants
The Boy Least Likely To
Brendan Benson
Bright Eyes
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
The Clientele
Death Cab For Cutie
The Decemberists
The Departure
Dntel
Fiery Furnaces
Figurine
Galaxie 500
Iron and Wine
Kevin Tihista's Red Terror
Lali Puna
Marlboro Chorus
Mirah
Morcheeba
The Mountain Goats
Neutral Milk Hotel
Postal Service
The Radio Dept
Red House Painters
Rilo Kiley
The Shins
Stars
Yo La Tengo

ldenman

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
taeclee99 said:

The Arcade Fire
The Arrogants
The Boy Least Likely To
Brendan Benson
Bright Eyes
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
The Clientele
Death Cab For Cutie
The Decemberists
The Departure
Dntel
Fiery Furnaces
Figurine
Galaxie 500
Iron and Wine
Lali Puna
Marlboro Chorus
Mirah
Morcheeba
The Mountain Goats
Neutral Milk Hotel
Postal Service
The Radio Dept
Red House Painters
Rilo Kiley
The Shins
Stars
Yo La Tengo
oh man! i forgot all about neutral, red house, shins, and mirah! i suck.

very great selection.

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
I like a couple of the bands that others have mentioned (arcade fire, decemberists, death cab for cutie..) but it's at the point these days where I don't really know what bands are "indie" and which aren't. What really qualifies them? Once they get MTV airplay, is a band no longer indie?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Washington, DC
sarae said:
I like a couple of the bands that others have mentioned (arcade fire, decemberists, death cab for cutie..) but it's at the point these days where I don't really know what bands are "indie" and which aren't. What really qualifies them? Once they get MTV airplay, is a band no longer indie?
Technically, all an indie band has to have to be indie is a deal with an independent record label, read not one of the "Big Five." However, indie is usually interpreted as "indie rock" which sort of has a specific sound, so lots of people refer to bands like DCFC as indie, even though they've signed with major labels. I can't remember, did Interpol sign with a major record label, or are they still on Matador (not that it really matters, Matador has gotten so large now)?

One of my favorite indie pop artists is Imogen Heap. Her newest album "Speak For Yourself" (out in the UK, not here yet) is absolutely fantastic. Some of you might recognize her as the singer from the indie pop duo Frou Frou (a collab with producer Guy Sigsworth).

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
taeclee99 said:

The Arcade Fire
The Arrogants
The Boy Least Likely To
Brendan Benson
Bright Eyes
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
The Clientele
Death Cab For Cutie
The Decemberists
The Departure
Dntel
Fiery Furnaces
Figurine
Galaxie 500
Iron and Wine
Lali Puna
Marlboro Chorus
Mirah
Morcheeba
The Mountain Goats
Neutral Milk Hotel
Postal Service
The Radio Dept
Red House Painters
Rilo Kiley
The Shins
Stars
Yo La Tengo
My list pretty much matches yours, with the addition of some NZ indie bands (Tall Dwarfs, The Clean, The 3Ds, etc), and some older indie bands (Pavement, Sebadoh, etc).

Speaking of Neutral Milk Hotel, I got my Holland 1945/Engine 7" signed by Jeff Mangum the other day! Which, for those who don't know, is about as likely an event as a Beatles reunion. He's been totally reclusive for the past four years or so. Also the single is pretty rare too, but I managed to get it off of eBay for about US$60.

Man, I'm such a fanboy!

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Great stuff on these lists! I've just started to get into the indie scene - major thanks to KCRW. I only have three new to add:

Goldspot - here's their MySpace page. Album to be officially released August 23 and I can vouch for it being awesome.
The Breakmakers - for great indie Britpop. :)
Sufjan Stevens - I especially loved "Chicago".

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
My list pretty much matches yours, with the addition of some NZ indie bands (Tall Dwarfs, The Clean, The 3Ds, etc), and some older indie bands (Pavement, Sebadoh, etc).

Speaking of Neutral Milk Hotel, I got my Holland 1945/Engine 7" signed by Jeff Mangum the other day! Which, for those who don't know, is about as likely an event as a Beatles reunion. He's been totally reclusive for the past four years or so. Also the single is pretty rare too, but I managed to get it off of eBay for about US$60.

Man, I'm such a fanboy!
wow man, $60..i sure hope you love it haha. I mean for me to a point i will only pay so much. In terms of music, i don't like buying stuff so i 'have' it, i buy it because i like it and listen to it. I hope thats the case with you! But congrats if thats your thing :)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
inlimbo said:
The Pixies!!!!!!!!

My friend raves about Bloc Party - i dont know anything about them
i think Bloc Party is very overrated. I mean its not that i don't like them, i just don't think they are half as good as people make them to be. To me, Bloc Party is a decent band with decent songs and will be forgotten in 4 years.

Jimbo:"oh remember bloc party? Yeah what happened to them..." Kinda like what Eve 6.