Favorite Mac Games?

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
I tend to be a semi-gamer, that is I usually spend about 2 hours a day on Gameranger or playing games on my mac. My favorite game to play is bar-none Quake 2. I also dig Deus Ex, and Fallen (DS9).

What are the other favorites from the macrumors group?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Games

Honestly, I don't use my mac for gaming very much. I just have Rogue Spear, and I still can't get Wolfenstiein to work, even though I can connect to a server. Whenever it starts the gameplay, it quits. Any suggestions? I always loved the EA sports games on my old pc, and I am very jealous that NHL 2002 isn't available for OS X (or mac at all!). I am waiting for the day that more than just Madden is available for us.

-Pete

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
Re: Games

Originally posted by ptrauber
Honestly, I don't use my mac for gaming very much. I just have Rogue Spear, and I still can't get Wolfenstiein to work, even though I can connect to a server. Whenever it starts the gameplay, it quits. Any suggestions?
-Pete
Hmmm, I haven't even tried Wolfenstien. Is it out yet, or is it still beta? I'll ask some of my mac-game buddies when I get on gameranger tonight to see what they say about it.

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
ptrauber:

what kind of machine are you running wolfentstein on?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i am not a gamer

...because it looks too addicting and i am already addicted to this site now that i got off another site which i was addicted to before

...but before the internet chat boards or review sites, i was hooked on solitaire, especially that pyramid game

my 4 MB of VRAM on my iBook limits what i could play and my reflexes are slow anyway

as for "real" games, i like flight simulator on my pc laptop since it's not violent but i have diablo II sitting in a box but i know i will never make it past the first level

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
G4..

I have a dual G4 533, 512 mb ram running OS X.1 and 9.2.1. I ordered the Radeon card instead of the Gforce2 MX. It really flies, it just pisses me off that I can't get this game working.

-Pete

Thanks akuma.

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
Re: i am not a gamer

Originally posted by jefhatfield
...because it looks too addicting and i am already addicted to this site now that i got off another site which i was addicted to before

extremely addicting...at least if you have the hardware to support the games. I have a measly 400 mhz G3 (768 Ram) and a paltry little 16 meg video card. But Quake 2 runs very nice for me online (w/ a cable modem) through gameranger. That's pretty much the only game I play online, cept for the occasional game of 'netfungus'. I can't imagine what games would be like if I replaced my video card.

Hmmm, iPod, or video card, iPod, or video card. :D

as for "real" games, i like flight simulator on my pc laptop since it's not violent but i have diablo II sitting in a box but i know i will never make it past the first level

I've heard that Fly II is pretty good flight sim for Mac, haven't played it though, and I wouldn't know the first thing about Diablo, cept for friends telling me how 'cool' it is.

I've always been a fan of simulation games, rollercoaster tycoon, simcity, age of empires, etc. But I also like to take my agressions out in a good 'deathmatch' :)

Pete I'll see what I can dig up for ya....

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
Re: For the 2D Gamers out there...

Originally posted by Ensign Paris
I really like EV and EV: Override.
Oh hell yeah :)

I've spent many an hour flying my shuttle back and forth across universes, just to get them to pay me a tribute :D

I love that game and can't wait to see Nova.
Ambrosia makes some kick ass games and their graphics are incredible.

Maelstrom, or barrack anyone? hehe

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I'm one who certainly enjoys a good "Fragfest" on Quake 3, and lately, Alien Vs. Predator (very atmospheric) on Gameranger. But I still remain an avid Flight Sim fan, and eagerly await MS Flight Sim 2002, and FlyII.

Now I've made the switch to X.1, I am a bit concerned whether many carbonised versions of my fave flight sims will come out - F/A-18 Hornet Korea would be great, for starters.

Unfortunately, running games in a classic environment from OSX slows my games down to a crawl, especially at crucial times in a game, like when I'm about to shoot down a Mig. So it's a pain in the rump when I have to boot up in 9.2.1 just to take off, drop a few bombs,and land on a carrier - and feel more or less satisfied.

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
kiwi--what name do you use on GR?

I can't stand playing games through classic, the video looks like crap and it feels like I'm playing on my performa or something.

And Aliens vs. predator---damn! playing the marine version is scary! :)

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
A-10 Attack + Cuba

Anyone ever played A-10 Attack or A-10 Cuba? really good dodgy Flight Sims. Square Planes that feel like gliders!

They ROCK!

I still like EV though, check out my site on it:
http://starbase64.brooklineuk.com/

...also does anybody ever talk on Ambrosias EV boards? I used to be Newton-Man here, but changed to Ensign Paris a few days ago so I was the same in both forums.

I have more posts there!!!

Guy

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
...and I STILL can't master the Alien's movement.

Sod it. I'll stick to Predator mode, and that wicked Disc...
The alien mode is cool once you get used to crawling up walls and ceilings ;)

Predator mode with thermal vision = sweetness :D

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
Dead easy, akuma -

"kiwi"

-no less...
mines also pretty easy

"akuma"

haha

maybe I'll see you on sometime....

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Outstanding - looks like there's a bit of competition out there...

Now I am DEFINITELY going to opt for that Broadband connection.

Could you imagine playing A vs. P with a virtual headset?

"What a Mind job..."

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
nice matrix reference...

anyone know about EA sports starting a mac division, or someone porting NHL 2002 over??

-Pete

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
2 out of 6

i just won 2 out of 6 hands in pyramid on hoyle solitaire

i just thought you heavy duty gamers would like to know that

plus cards do not shoot back!

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
I just wish Apple would ship OS X with a game I could beat.

Damn Computer chess player...

john123

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2001
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force is an awesome game. It's based on Quake 3 but has, in my opinion, better graphics and is just more fun. And the 1.2 patch should be forthcoming....

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
sorry pete

Pete:
Well I talked to my gamin friends bout wolfenstien, but no one really had any solutions. All of them said it was buggy and laggy, so I would have to say you are out of luck, till the full retail is released.

Sorry man.....

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by akuma
I tend to be a semi-gamer, that is I usually spend about 2 hours a day on Gameranger or playing games on my mac. My favorite game to play is bar-none Quake 2. I also dig Deus Ex, and Fallen (DS9).

What are the other favorites from the macrumors group?
yeah,I play tony hawks pro skater 2 on gameranger sometimes (i'm gonna kick your ass ;)) ,sw:racer,aoe and majesty,my favorite games are UT,starcraft and thps2..

akuma

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2001
Re: 2 out of 6

Originally posted by jefhatfield
i just won 2 out of 6 hands in pyramid on hoyle solitaire
Better than me...I always get so frustrated playing solitare...yet I still manage to spent countless hours playing it ....

"Just give me the @!$%@ card already!!"

That's how my solitare games usually wind up. ;)

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by john123
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force is an awesome game. It's based on Quake 3 but has, in my opinion, better graphics and is just more fun. And the 1.2 patch should be forthcoming....
yeah,thats a great game too,but aoe2+conqurors will be the best game for mac..