Favorite VR Game Titles

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Huntn, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Update: I have not played this in a while, cranked it up last night and was not thrilled with the over saturated colors. I want to say they've done something to it and trying to figure out how to turn the saturation down if possible. Conan Exiles is much more polished.

2. Unami, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

Unami macrumors 6502a

- „SuperhotVR“ imho the most fun PSVR game yet.
    - „Statik“ - great puzzler, great use of the playstation’s sixaxis controller
    - „I expect you to die“ - another nice „sit down“ puzzler
    - Driveclub VR on PS4pro - fun racer, if you got a driving wheel, but really bad graphics on normal PS4 (they are not great on ps4pro either, but elevated to „playable“)
    - Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin - good looking puzzler, unfortunately too short and too easy
    - Dirt Rally - as others said, pretty good game, but also pretty hard. The graphics are not too hot on PSVR.

- not really a good game, but a good test whether you‘ve already got your VR legs: „Windlands“ (turn off any „helper“ functions)

3. Huntn, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I've said that VR is amazing, somewhere, I think. ;) I'm playing an RPG (Chronos) which is pretty impressive but is kicking my butt, Gunjack, an arcade shooter which is lots of fun, and Eve:Valkyrie (dog fighting space sim) if it will let me sign into it, but I was not truly amazed until I launched Lone Echo, a story set in the rings of Saturn on a space based mining facility where you are a robot a helping the human Captain of the ship, discover an anomaly, deal with a power surge on the ship, and sort out a mystery, and in the process navigate this impressively large VR space, fixing systems that are broken, and I'm not far enough into it yet to say more.

However the environment is simply amazing, it is what VR was designed for. You are not looking at the interior of a ship from the flat perspective of your 32" monitor, you are frick'n inside that ship. The flight deck three dimensional, looks like it's about 30' wide and maybe 50' deep, and from there you visit different parts of the ship, the cargo hold, the hydroponics garden, which is not anywhere close to Silent Running (the movie), but it is still impressive. So far working with the Captain, I've fixed several on-board systems, and am about to examine the power core.

You move around the ship either pushing or pulling yourself (zero gravity) or using your wrist thrusters. I'm sure some of it has to do with VR being a new or even a novelty, but just being in this ship is cool. I can't wait until I go outside if I'm not too afraid to. ;) :D

[​IMG]
    The Flight Deck

[​IMG]
    The Captain​

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Post 1 added:
    • 30Sep17- Added Lone Echo, along with garnerx and Unami's choices.

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Yesterday I played a couple hours of Lone Echo and consequently spent most of the night dreaming about making my way through a space ship. :D

I realize I've said this before, but if you want to be staggered by the VR experience, THIS IS IT.
    Through the course of the story, there are a lot of tasks you complete, and in an old fashioned game, I might have complained, find this, repair that, but there is a huge event, and when I add in the 1st person exploration in this environment, it has become take it slow, so as not to die (minimal death penalty, re spawn instantly, start at last check point), but also to revel at just what I am doing. The 3D movie experience can't compete with this, that's how good it is. It would be as if you are in the movie, first person, dealing with the events unfolding.

6. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

I saw in the other thread you said you'd been playing it sitting down! Try standing, being able to bend and duck under objects makes a big difference.

Have you tried the multiplayer mode yet? Even if you don't play a full match, just being in the lobby is quite an experience. You definitely need to stand up for this to get the full effect of being hugged and climbed on by several random giggling strangers, it's hilarious.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Since I have been in my 30s, my back bothers me when standing for a relatively short period of time, vs walking or other activity which is not an issue.

Are you referencing Lone Echo and when you say match is this a coop or a competition mode of the game? Although I’ve playing seated, I’ve not had any real movement issues other having to pause to unwind my headset cord periodically. The most uncomfortable situation is having to maneuver through tight spots in vicinity of the spores.

I also mentioned adding sensors in a different post because at one point in the game, at a crucial time maneuvering in proximity to an exploding spore, I lost sensor tracking due to facing away from my 2 sensors, got to close and when it exploded, got pushed into them, (which for anyone who has not played) the spores kill you. :)

8. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

I'm talking about Echo Arena, the multiplayer mode of Lone Echo. You might have to download it separately if you didn't install it with Lone Echo (it was free anyway, Lone Echo isn't required).

It's a sort of zero-G robot basketball team game kind of thing, you have to throw a disc into a goal. People are extremely good at it, so I found the actual game passed me by, but the lobby is extraordinary - particularly after a couple of drinks. You can talk to somebody who's not just standing next to you but actually grabbing hold of some part of your body (because if you don't you might float apart). It's the future of chat rooms!

I'm sure you could still play it without standing, as long as you can get over seeing some giggling Swedish dude in a robot suit dangling off your legs while you're actually sitting down.

9. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

LOL What? /adds Echo Arena to wish list.

10. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

Play it late at night for maximum effect and make sure you have a good excuse in case your partner walks in on you at 3am and demands to know what the hell you're doing.