Favourite Movie or TV Adaptions of Books

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Scepticalscribe, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Normally, I shudder when I hear that a movie is about to be made based on a book, especially if it is a book I have loved; most of them are pretty poor, some are downright travesties, and a startling number bear no relationship whatsoever to the book and title that gave rise to them. Some are simply disappointing, or fail to rise to the challenge of translating text to screen, or are unable to give cinematic life to the book.

However, there are movies which are inspirational interpretations of books, movies which add a whole new dimension to the book, often itself a work of art. So, fellow MR denizens, what movies have you seen that are an excellent or faithful representation of the book that inspired them? Or have added to the enjoyment of the book? I'm including TV adaptions in this thread as well.

A few that come to mind are The Name of the Rose;
    Godfather I and II (which actually improved on the ancestor book, if anything);
    LA Confidential;
    BBC's Pride and Prejudice of the 1990s;
    BBC's Cranford (2008)
    Shawshank Redemption

Over to you, but others, doubtless, will come to mind.

Cheers and good luck

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

On a Shakespeare kick recently, so here it goes...

I thought the Romeo and Juliet that was like in modern day with Leo was actually kinda good.

I also liked 10 Things I Hate About You, which is based on another of Shakespeare's works, The Taming of the Shrew.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know I'll get killed for this, but Watchmen ended up being better than the graphic novel, IMO. They removed the extraneous, beat-you-over-the-head-with-the-"message" stuff to make for a much better story. And really- was the Black Freighter stuff necessary? Yawn.

I liked American Psycho, even though it was drastically different from the book.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I thought that Into the Wild was a very good adaption of the book.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

It was ok. No way they could have stuck to the book though.

Fight Club is actually better than the book and I'm a big Palahaniuk fan...

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- the nail gun scene in the book was quite gruesome.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

Yes. The one and only time a fictional book has made me feel a little queasy...

8. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Good choice and I'd agree. Actually, Shakespeare has given rise to an incredible variety of adaptations, some of them excellent (Laurence Olivier's Henry V, Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet), some of them strange and wonderfully original (Polanski's MacBeth) and all of them a weird reflection of their own time and the concerns of those times.

Charles Dickens has also given rise to a rich harvest in cinema; but then, his books were extraordinarily cinematic in their composition and construction. (Think of the various versions of David Copperfield, or Oliver Twist).

Cheers and good luck

9. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I thought Sean Penn did a great job. The Eddie Vedder sound track didn't hurt either.

May get flamed but who cares...

The LOTR trilogy were unbelievable books. No movie could ever capture it all, but Peter Jackson did about a good a job as could be done with his adaption. He created the characters and landscapes from another world and told the story as visually as possible without altering the original too much.

10. Scepticalscribe thread starter Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree absolutely. Have to admit that the LOTR was a really superb adaptation of a very difficult trilogy (brilliant but still, something of a challenge and quite difficult to transfer to the big screen). An excellent adaptation with stunning use of the NZ landscape and great acting which yet remained entirely true to the original text.

Cheers and good luck

11. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

The World According To Garp, All Quiet On The Western Front ...

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I liked The World According to Garp (both the book and movie), but the movie is a bit of a departure from the book. Still a good movie though.

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

^^^ Ditto on the movie The World According to Garp. Although I don't care much for John Irving's novels.

14. pachyderm macrumors 603

pachyderm

Very excited about: Where The Wild Things Are ...

15. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

My first thought. I read the book after seeing the film and was disappointed in it.

I had to keep stopping and starting American Psycho. Not seen the film yet

I like Trainspotting a lot. Very different from the book in parts, but still great.

I'm excited for Fantastic Mr Fox. I LOVED that book when I was 7. On a Roald Dahl note, the adaptation of Matilda was great :)