FBI arrests 5 trying to blow up bridge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, May 1, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...or, WTF Is Wrong with People, installment #4,599.

First and foremost: a big salute to the FBI. Another impressive job.

Second of all, it'll be interesting seeing how all this came down. There are already people trying to tie this to OWS. But according to some stories, the informant who led the FBI to these idiots met them at a protest, and then snitched on them to the Feds. If that's the case, it's entirely possible an OWS member may've helped law enforcement.

Third (and for me, most unnerving of all), I've seen the suspects' names...and I just might know one of them. :eek:

Finally, what the hell is in the water in my neck of the woods lately? Over the past few weeks we've had:

• a student shoot up his high school;
    • a father murder his family at a Cracker Barrel;
    • a homophobic dad who triggered a protest;
    • and now these anarchist idiots.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

OWS will have to own that some of it's fringe members are anarchists. It's one reason why it's wise to stake out one's position, clearly relegating outliers to the fringe where they belong. OWS hasn't chosen to do this, thus it will be more difficult to marginalize this kind of activity.

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I don't see why you're impressed. The FBI tricked some idiots into buying bombs from them.
    It has been documented multiple times that FBI undercover agents actively support people to turn their vague ideas into practical scenarios, through all stages. Without the help from the FBI, most of said people would probably never get close to committing a crime.

Fortunately, this practice is illegal in other countries.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I was always curious about how much the FBI "helps" these people decide to go blow up 'x' target and why this wouldn't be considered entrapment if he is leading them on to do it and providing the means to do so.

If these idiots couldn't figure out that they shouldn't share bomb plots with randoms at OWS and also couldn't figure out how to rig their own explosives I'm doubtful of their ability to pull off this operation.

5. Thomas Veil, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Maybe I am naive. If this is entrapment rather than an example of a genuine bust, I'll be pissed off rather than impressed. Be interesting to see what develops.

Meanwhile, I'll have to agree with citizenzen above.

Edit: (marc) and Zombie may be right:

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Cuyahoga, you say? Why does that sound so familiar? Oh, right. Does all this BS kind of make you yearn for the halcyon days when the river would just burn and that was that?

7. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, that was more than four decades ago, so now we just roll out eyes when someone drags that out.

It's sorta like when somebody wants to take a shot at Democrats and brings up Jimmy Carter. Really? :rolleyes:

Anyway, it looks like those jokers didn't think Occupy was violent enough, so they went off on their own. Great idea, losers.

But yeah, it's also sounding like -- without the FBI's help -- these guys were little more than five baked morons sitting around going, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could, like, blow up a bridge or something?"

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Just watch out for those 99 cent Clorox bleach sales, terrorists will be all over it.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

5 idiots who just ruined their lives. I guess some people think that anarchy is a good way to get a fresh start. :rolleyes:

10. malman89 macrumors 68000

Yet another example that Cleveland is in fact not better than Detroit. :rolleyes:

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I watched it burn on local Cleveland TV (I was a kid). It was impressive. Cleveland will never live that one down.....

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The government will say no it's not entrapment as they had the intent to do it just not the resources. Someone else would say they were stupid kids who were just talking but were persuaded into it by the government. It would be a hard sell to prove that the kids were tricked into doing something they didn't want to do.

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Meh. Ancient history.

Last year a guy around here managed to set fire to his tap water, thanks to the wonders of hydraulic fracturing. Far as I know, he still can.

Fracking is the new Cuyahoga River.

Have you seen these jokers? They don't exactly look like brain surgeons.

[​IMG]

*cough* 0-16 *cough*

14. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

This is a simple one: law enforcement should prevent and prosecute crime, not create it.

Michael

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Technically, I think this is not anarchy as such, it is more along the lines of a desperate attempt at nihilism. "Anarchy" is horribly misused in this respect, it is really just an alternate form of libertarianism.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If I'm understanding you, I've had people try to convince me that anarchy is a good system. I don't see it. Sounds like tribes and the guy with the biggest baddest group rules the area, kind of like the Post Man.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Anarchy is just like Communism or Democracy: an interesting theoretical model that is almost impossible to apply in the real world. At least, as written.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I must say I always wary of stories with Law Enforcement officers (undercover) to often these cause the crime. What starts out as a silly idea with no chance of success, will with active help from Law Enforcement suddenly become viable.
    That is why Entrapment is against most of European countries laws.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Check out Colbert's interview, on Tuesday's show, with Carne Ross (author "The Leaderless Revolution: How Ordinary People Will Take Power and Change Politics in the 21st Century"). Third segment I think?

If there is a shortage of bad guys, they create them to protect their jobs. :rolleyes:

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Did you know that if you mix equal parts of gasoline and frozen orange juice concentrate you can make napalm?

No, I did not know that; is that true?

That's right... One could make all kinds of explosives, using simple household items.

Really...?

If one were so inclined.

Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I've ever met... see I have this thing: everything on a plane is single-serving...

Oh I get it, it's very clever.

Thank you.

How's that working out for you?

What?

Being clever.