FBI arrests top New York pol

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The F.B.I. has arrested Sheldon Sliver, the speaker of the New York State Assembly and arguably the second most powerful man in New York. I wonder, will this vile web of corruption rise high enough to ensnare Governor Cuomo?

Prosecutor: “Mr. Cuomo, what did you know and when did you know it?”
    Governor Cuomo: “Mistakes were made.”
    Prosecutor: “Did you know about the bribes?”
    Governor Cuomo: “I'm not a crook.”
    Prosecutor: “Did you know about the kickbacks?”
    Governor Cuomo: “Ask Hillary.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/n...on-silver-is-arrested-in-corruption-case.html

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know what took so long. Pretty common knowledge in you follow NY politics that he's a crook. I think Cuomo is a crook too. This just may bite him in the ass, not to mention many others.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

If Christie got away with the bridge scandal, I think Cuomo will probably be fine as well.

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Which is the same as saying, "Christie didn't get away with the bridge scandal or Cuomo will probably be fine as well." :D

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well it did seem pretty weird that Cuomo started up an investigative commission and then it was abruptly shut down with no report and no explanation, and then later on they said something like well some new ethics laws got passed so no need to look further... really? New day ahead and everyhing before that gets a pass?

Maybe that was when the FBI said yo, we'll take this one. Gotta be more explaining to come later on.

Seems like there's been enough dirt in Albany politics that they could grow carrots on the legislative floors.

6. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Maybe Silver will give up the dirt on the Governor as part of a plea deal.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Somewhere Councilman Clay Davis is saying sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.....

9. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I will throw a party if Cuomo goes down for pretty much anything. Such a scumbag, and New Yorkers just adore him. Says a lot about new Yorkers.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hmmm. He lost 46 of the state's 62 counties and got 1 million fewer votes than his previous election win but don't let me rain on your parade of bull ****.

11. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

He still won, didn't he? It means two things: Most NY voters are in a haze and/or delusional and the opposing party needs to pick a candidate that isn't a joke.

12. zin macrumors 6502

He won on 30% turnout.

You can't make those assumptions about "most NY voters" if the vast majority didn't even vote.

13. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Was Cuomo the Elder as corrupt as his son? I always figured he never ran because he had too many skeletons in his closet.

14. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Semantics really. Registered voters and those that actually vote are two different things. I really don't count those that sat at home on their ass.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This is starting to sound like Silver is angling for more of a Clay Davis outcome (in The Wire) than I had figured would be possible.

Sheldon Silver To Temporarily Relinquish Speaker Duties

16. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

What Silver wants to happen should NEVER be allowed to happen. It's difficult enough to get the budget done with "3 men in a room" but when one of those men turn into FIVE from the same party it'll be IMPOSSIBLE to get the budget hammered out. Not to mention those five were hand-picked by Silver and 4 of the 5 are from the NY Metro area.

Silver is doing this because he wants to be Speaker again IF he's acquitted but in my opinion ANY lawmaker that is up on charges of this nature should relinquish any leadership roles they may have and then go through the proper process (votes by the house) to get the role back if they are cleared of wrongdoing.

17. LizKat, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well Silver may be on his way out whether he likes it or not. Being asked to resign or face being ousted should be a wakeup call.

Assembly Democrats Call on Sheldon Silver to Step Down as Speaker

Silver was resisting last night but that just gave the Dems more time to consider the matter of a successor, and get a jump on vote counts towards eventually making the pick.

Battle Over a Successor as Sheldon Silver Faces Calls to Quit as Speaker

There are undoubtedly calculations occurring about where some of the other bodies are buried, and how much damage Silver could either cause or prevent, depending on whether he gets his way and "steps back" versus gets bumped and then decides to sing and sing and sing instead of just sing enough to get a wrist slap. The level of complexity on deals made in Albany could probably make those made in DC look like second grader taking a first grader's lunch money. Pols on the left and right may not want Mr. Silver to sing too loudly. Some of them may still think supporting his speakership, or at least supporting someone he wants to step in for him, would save their own skins. And, they might even be right.

I don't mean to sound like anyone is only "innocent until investigated" but government must go on -- we need a budget, for instance-- and I agree with you that Silver's suggestion to have his cronies fill in for him, while he tries to mount a legal defense, is just preposterous.

Update: well NYT now reports Silver is being replaced temporarily by Morelle, the #2 guy, until special election Feb 10th. He may get the top spot then. Silver's out.

Sheldon Silver to Be Replaced as Speaker of New York State Assembly