FBI Conducts Predawn Raid of Manafort's Home

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Aug 9, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/09/fbi-raid-paul-manafort-virginia-home-241441

FBI agents recently raided the residence of Paul Manafort as part of the ongoing probe into Russia's role in the 2016 election, a spokesman for the former Trump campaign chairman confirmed on Wednesday.

"FBI agents executed a search warrant at one of Mr. Manafort's residences. Mr. Manafort has consistently cooperated with law enforcement and other serious inquiries and did so on this occasion as well," said Jason Maloni, a spokesman for the former Trump campaign chairman.

The pre-dawn raid at the Virginia home, which was first reported by the Washington Post, roused Manafort, who was in town to appear before Congress, according to a person familiar with the situation. Agents took reams of material from the home.

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Was looking at this topic (Google News) and don't see the sense in either the warrant or pre-dawn serving of the warrant by the FBI. (topic is in another thread (POST)
    From all accounts, Paul has been totally cooperative and turned over any documentation requested.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Yeah... last month.
    They took docs he already provided to Congress.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

maybe they think there is tuff hidden. we don't know whats going in so we are clueless.

5. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Well apparently there were more things they needed since they walked out with additional documents from what I've read.

6. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

What they took included documents he provided to Congress, where it does it say it was limited to those documents? Are some folks here still going to pretend this is nothing?

7. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

The Right will always pretend it's nothing. If you present them with black and white documents, they'll question the source, they'll question Mueller even though he was appointed by Bush, short of providing actual video footage as proof and even that might not sway some. Long story short, if this turns out to be fire, the Trump base isn't going anywhere, Russian collusion or not.

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well maybe he has.

But let's just step back a moment and consider Paul Manafort in a larger light: He is the same guy who:

Was revealed to have received several million dollars from a sketchy political slush-fund in Ukraine, controlled by Vladimir Putin. (For the forgetful amongst you, Manafort was Donald Trump's campaign chief at the time.)

But before darling Paulie signed up to work for Donald Trump, he was busy pitching plans to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, a

What a lovely guy that Paulie must be!

Do you want me to keep going? Get into the money laundering scheme Manafort got into with another Russian oligarch and a New York hotel? We could go on. Talk about the string of mysterious real estate purchases made by Manafort and his estranged son-in-law. The law suits. The debts. All of them connected by a puzzling preference for sleazy Russian mobsters.

And this is the guy Donald Trump chose to manage his campaign. Yeah, nothing to be concerned about.

BTW: For the FBI to have obtained a warrant to search Manafort's house, they needed to first convince a Judge that there was probable cause to believe Manafort was involved in a crime of some sort.

Enjoy the singalong, guys.

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I have no doubts about Manafort being shady as ****, but pretty much all of this predates his involvement with Trump.
    I think he has the record for shortest term as a presidential campaign manager ever (3 months).

I'd be curious to see the probable cause statement given to the judge.

10. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

If it was anything worthy of unraveling the Trump/Russia fairy tail it would of leaked out by now.

12. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Was this the same campaign manager that punched the Breitbart journalist in the face? Or was it one of the other 17 campaign managers that he used (they were replaced frequently like diapers) during 2016? ;)

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

No... that was Cory Lewandowski.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So Trump should have known better.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Still, if he has been cooperating, why would they warrant for the supposedly same info?
    Something is hinky about this.

16. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

17. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

As I said, Manafort is an idiot.

Was the warrant sealed? Maybe we will get a glimpse when the warrant answer is filed.

18. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

19. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Well "Paul" also forgot to register as a foreign agent.... So, they might just be double checking.

20. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

The thing is, I've gotta believe this is an attempt to get leverage over Manafort. The guy has his fingers in a lot of fairly ugly pies, so the FBI should be able to find dirt of some sort or other. Once found, they can use this to get Manafort to reveal anything he might be hiding about the Trump situation.

So long as Mueller is using this leverage to further the Trump investigation, I suspect he's got the authorization to go after it.

21. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Is he an illegal immigrant? He should move to a sanctuary city stat.

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Depends on the relationship he had with Manafort before the campaign. I have no info on wether they knew each other before hand.
    He could have been recommended by someone Trump trusted, only to get burned later.
    Trump doesn't strike me as being a good judge of character. At minimum, his people should have had a full check on Manafort prior to him being named as campaign manager.
    Ya know... find the dirt before you become soiled with it yourself.
    I honestly believe that the only reason for Trump's successes are because of the people he had working for him during those successful times.
    All his failures appear to be when HE was fully running the show and surrounded by "yes" men.

If the right people are put in place around him, and he actually listens, he might actually not totally **** up the country.
    Gen Kelley is a good start as COS... but he needs to get his kids and Bannon out of the WH and hire professionals.

23. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Maybe but this occurred after he registered and after he provided the documents.
    Something else is going on or there is a thread we don't know about. If there was something else why didn't they just ask for it? But pre-dawn?
    Almost feels like we have a Congress vs. FBI dance going on on who gets what info... or the FBI is playing tit for tat for the comments Donald Trump has made.

25. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

He could be worse than an illegal. The worst case scenario is that he acted as a double agent for the Kremlin regime. If proven, I'd hope that such people would be prosecuted like how traitors were punished half a century ago. The Rosenbergs come to mind.