FBI Drops Legal Action Against Apple, uses 'mystery method' to get into iPhone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

MOD NOTE: There will more than likely be a new thread on this, So mods, feel free to merge if/when it comes up.

The AP just reported that the FBI is using the 'mystery method' (read: Cellebrite) to break into the San Bernardino gunman's iPhone, and are dropping legal action against Apple.

HuffPo is reporting this two (just got both push notifications on my iPhone) and am waiting on the articles to be posted.

In short, Apple won.

On the other side of this, I wouldn't doubt that Apple would want to know how this is happening and what 'method' is going to be news.

Hot story on this, so stay tuned.

BL.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

Quite the contrary. The data in the phone was accessed despite Apple reassuring us it's impossible. And Apple doesn't even know how it happened, so will not be able to easily remove this security hole this hack has become. It's a huge defeat.
    BTW - once used, this tool is effectively within reach of every government in the World. Russia, China, Iran, you name it.

4. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Did Apple rewrite their OS to include the backdoor that the FBI wanted? That was the intent of the legal action.

No is the answer to that. My point stands.

Either way, the other thread is opened, so I'm reporting this one to close it down. feel free to continue the debate there.

BL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.