FBI goes to college - N.C.A.A. Coaches and Adidas Official Face Bribery Charges

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Sep 26, 2017.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Pay. The. Players. College sports are a cesspool.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Pay the players and separate paid sports from academics. The college programs they put most student athletes through are a sham anyways.

3. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

We are in agreement on this. College sports are a big sham.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thank goodness it looks like U of L is finally going to clean out the top. The AD and head basketball coach are on paid administrative leave until they can be officially fired.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But until you Pay. The. Players.

You need to Follow. The. Rules.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's not official yet, but likely coming in the next few weeks.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

He’s on leave for a week. The exact amount of time they need to give him notice he’s being fired.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Still, he can't "officially" go until the athletics board meets and decides his fate.

Athletics at U of L has needed a top-down cleaning for a while now. As far as I'm concerned, getting rid of Jurich and "Slick Rick" is long overdue.

I never appreciated how detrimental having such a powerful athletics department was to the academics of a school until it came time to actually butt heads with them. I'm not the only one who thinks athletics way too much power as a whole.

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Wow the greed of College Sports programs is getting out of hand!

11. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

It’s always been out of hand! Lol...
    People only make a stink when some get caught.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Bingo.

And this didn’t come about because the NCAA isn’t paying players, it came about because morally-bankrupt coaches wanted to flat out cheat the system to get good players, and companies like Adidas saw an opportunity to sleeze their way in and start slipping kids cash before they become big (and valuable) names.

Paying players doesn't change that, and it’s unworkable anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    Same athletics department that hired Bobby Petrino. Surprisingly, he seems to be behaving himself this time around.

13. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Heck, we hired him twice!

SO FAR he is behaving himself.

There's talk here now about having to buy out Pitino's contract to fire him(not sure if that will hold with today's report that he may be "Coach 2" in the FBI report). When you add that 40 million onto the 46 million the university is already in the hole, all I can think is if my position even continues to exist I won't be getting a COL raise for probably the next 20 years...

14. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

If it makes you feel any better, many of my fellow LSU alumni wanted to hire this guy...even after what he pullled at Arkansas :eek:

Really good coach, absolutely awful human being.

Y’all will probably have to fight it in court, but there has to be a way out of that buy-out, especially if (like you said) that federal complaint is referring to him.

15. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've been pretty vocal against interim president Postel(I have voiced my disagreements with him in person, not behind a keyboard or behind his back, and to his credit I've had productive conversations even if they did not change my mind), but at the same time he's not afraid to make drastic decisions when they need to be made.

See attached

Attached Files:

16. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

One and done pretty much makes College Basketball hard to watch, and harder to keep up with. One day a real coach will refuse to start underclassmen again, and clean up the game.

Pay for play will always be an issue, but at this level, football and basketball make it possible for a lot of people to go to college that otherwise may not have been able to go.

Not just student athletes.

These colleges are spending the money back into the schools, so it's hard for me to say student athletes should be paid.