FBI interrogator describes how torture failed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hulugu, Sep 13, 2011.

1. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

From NPR, comes this story about "The Black Banners" a book by former FBI interrogator Ali Soufan.

"The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda" describes how the FBI used smarts and personal rapport to gather information from suspected al-Qaeda leaders.

Soufan argues that his techniques of rapport-building and analysis was able to get information from Zubaydah, but an interruption by a CIA-contractor he calls "Boris" changed this relationship as Boris used "enhanced interrogation techniques."

Soufan says that the information stopped flowing after the arrival of a man he calls Boris.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That was bushco's most shameful failure. It wasn't about getting information, it was about the desire for brutality, pure and simple.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I for one don't care if torture is useful or not, it is a non-factor in my mind. Nobody under any situation should be subjected to torture or inhumane treatment, full stop.

The head of MI5 gave a speech a few days ago, and said torture should never be used even if it could save lives. I was delighted to hear that from such a senior person. (Hopefully it reflects the behaviour of my government :confused: )

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Dude. You guys have SAS. They don't even have moral compasses. :p

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think the speech you're referring to was by the ex-head of MI5 Eliza Manningham-Buller.

(the person who is the actual head of MI5 tends to say f-all about f-all)