FBI Releases Documents in Hillary Clinton E-Mail Investigation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Sep 2, 2016.

1. zin Suspended

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

lol...

FBI: Clinton speculated the “C” marking was referencing paragraphs marked in alphabetical order

FBI: Clinton said she did not pay attention to the level of classification in documents because she took all classified info seriously.

She signed NDA's that she understood how to handle classified materials and SAPs.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sounds like a typically high-level person in management to me: "don't bother me with details I don't want to know."

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

5. zin, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016

zin thread starter Suspended

Some tidbits:

• The FBI requested 13 additional mobile devices that were used to connect to the clintonmail.com mail server, but none of them could be located and were never provided to the Bureau.
    • The FBI also could not examine two of five iPad devices that were used to connect to the mail server.
    • The server administrator was requested to set up proper archiving procedures by an aide at the State Department, but never got around to doing it.
    • The server administrator at one point was advised by a U.S. Secret Service agent to set up outbound filtering and other security improvements, such as VPN and two-factor authentication, but this was never implemented.
    • The server administrator set up remote access to manage the systems; the FBI notes they are aware of "known vulnerabilities" with this setup.
    • The server administrator checked firewall logs on a monthly basis.
    • There were multiple phishing attempts made against users of the server, including Clinton's mail address, where she replied to one of them, containing a malicious link, and states that she was worried somebody was "hacking into" her server. The FBI did not receive any additional information as to why Clinton was worried that somebody was trying to breach the server. The email identified as carrying a malicious link was inspected by the FBI and determined that, if it were opened, would have sent information to "at least three computers overseas, including one in Russia".
    • There were many brute-force attempts made against accounts on the server, including private iCloud accounts. The FBI said, for the devices that could be examined, there is no direct evidence any of these type of attacks were successful.
    • Clinton claims that Colin Powell told her to keep quiet and to "be careful" about her server, as personal emails may become subject to federal record keeping laws.
    • One of the emails sent by the breached account of Sidney Blumenthal contained a foreign policy memo that was classified as confidential by the State Department.
    • In 2011, Clinton received a memo directly from Eric Boswell, the Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security, warning employees to reduce private mail usage due to an increase in targeted attacks on government systems.
    • Clinton could not recall any training on handling classified information.
    • Clinton knew that she was an original classification authority (has the power to classify information), but could not recall using that power.
    • Clinton claims she relied on guidance from U.S. Foreign Service workers on how to handle classified information.
    • As old devices were replaced, the locations of them would "frequently become unknown".
    • Clinton was offered a government account at the start of her tenure. She declined.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

That's Presidential.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    Wonder how many of those mobile devices they took overseas were compromised?

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

^^iPads are known for their robust security. Their users who have no clue how things work say so.

8. zin thread starter Suspended

Democrats want to elect the person that the FBI quite literally deemed too stupid to prosecute.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

"No reasonable prosecutor would bring charges. Acted extremely carelessly but without malicious intent."

-Comey the Clown
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    Except she's not stupid. She knows exactly what she is doing. She knows that no one that can do anything about it actually cares.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

One thing is not clear. The papers clearly say that Powell warned her about the fact that if she used the BlackBerry for work it would become subject to official records (incidentally, same happens with my phone). How could she be deemed ignorant of the law, meaning that how could the FBI claim that the mens rea test was negative, at least for negligence?

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Who here is bothered that Republicans are leaking secret information?

12. zin thread starter Suspended

Nobody is leaking secret information. Where are you getting that?

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

It's just a deflection of the subject of this thread, which is the content of the FBI papers.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Anyone who reads this report and thinks she should still be President is an extreme partisan. If this report were about a GOP candidate the howls from the left would be deafening.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Partly from the quote that I just posted.

16. zin thread starter Suspended

Not getting it. The Committee has security clearance to view the unredacted documents. The documents relating to this thread are the publicly redacted versions published on the FBI website.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the Washington Post ...
    So again ... people here don't seem bothered by this.

I'm not surprised.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

What are you talking about?
    Congress (Committee) has the full investigative report.
    The FBI released the redacted final report and the notes.
    No one leaked anything this time.

19. zin thread starter Suspended

You are quoting articles from almost two weeks ago. The FBI first provided the documents to Congress. Today, the FBI published them in redacted format on their website.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Cool. I did not know that. Now I do.

(it would help if I actually read the title of the thread)

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I'm not surprised.

22. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Reading the actual papers will help you even more.
    As a government worker I don't know how this did not end up with an indictment, at least for negligence. What I've read in those pages (which I will re-read more carefully when I have a bit of time) is a challenge to the limits of my patience, and I have a lot of it.

23. Populism, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

My favorite part of the FBI document release is the part where the FBI released the documents in the final business hours preceding a holiday weekend.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Reading comprehension, how does it work?

25. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I wish I could clam that I could not recall any briefing about an NDA and get away with it.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/article/2004146/