FBI secretly tracks US citizen not wanted for any crimes...oh goody.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sysiphus, Oct 8, 2010.

1. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Well, we all saw (hopefully) the nut-job (and usually very liberal) 9th Circuit decide this was legal...seems like the FBI isn't wasting any time taking advantage of that ruling:

Link

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The ACLU is foaming at the mouth to take a case like this. I hope they get one and this despicable law is done away with. It would be even nicer if they used an overturning of this law as grounds to rule the Patriot Act as unconstitutional.

3. Queso macrumors G4

He doesn't need to call his lawyer? Was that another threat, similar to how they could make it difficult for him?

Law enforcement that believes itself above the law. Are you sure the USA split off from Britain?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- that's crazy. This s*** needs to stop right away.

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Wow

wow... They even came and asked for it back?!?

He should have sold it on ebay.

Or he could have had some fun with it, tossed the tracker in the bed of a random pickup truck to confuse the feds :p

But this is ridiculous and the decision needs to be reversed ASAP.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This stuff doesn't surprise me in the least. The U.S. Government always does shady ass ****.

Although its either put up with it or move to a country with no functioning government like Somalia :eek:

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I can tell you as a former defense attorney, the judges, states attorneys, legislators, everyone is against civil rights.

It is easier to get elected as an anti-crime, pro-punishment candidate.

Until Americans stand up to that viewpoint, we get what we paid for.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I absolutely love this part :

"“I wouldn’t have noticed it if there wasn’t a wire sticking out,” Afifi said.

LOL..

[edit] Hey guys don't let my posting stop this discussion. I'm still a human too.:D

besides I miss all you guys.

[/edit]

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He should consider himself lucky that it's not a syphilis test. :rolleyes:

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Government given you a few of them in your time?

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

So what's it like on the other side? Did they teach you the secret handshake? Is it true that as a moderator you can now push a button and make any one of us disappe

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think the funnies part is the FBI wanted the device back. They kind of lost the right to the device when they put it on his car. He found it and he could do what ever he wanted with it.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Interesting. That does seem to bring up a few legal questions about ownership.

15. 184550 Guest

You'll have to explain the math on that one to me.

Isn't that sort of like me leaving my iPhone in my friends car and he says 'Well, you left it in my car so it's mine now.'?

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well presumably you were invited into your friends car before leaving your phone there. If you left your phone in a random convertible with it's top down, then came back later wanting your phone back—it might be a different situation.

17. 184550 Guest

Point taken but half the users posting in a 'I-found-an-iPhone' thread would argue that the convertible owner would have to return it. :p

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think you should add intentionally leaving your iPhone in it. That is very different than accidentally leaving it in there.

As for me I might of taken a baseball bat to it then toss it in the garbage.

19. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Really? But there's so much more fun stuff you could do. . . like tying it to a stray dog, or duct taping it to a long haul semi truck. Then when they come looking for it you can be all, "Well **** guys I don't know where it is. . . what are you asking me for anyways, isn't it supposed to be a tracking device? GO TRACK IT!" :p

20. Queso macrumors G4

21. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

22. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Nah, you gotta pick somewhere less friendly to the USA. Maybe send it off to Somolia, then again does DHL deliver there? Or send it off to the FBI headquarters with a note: "Hey I think you guys dropped this in my car, please pick up after yourselves, I'm not your freaking mother!"

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

How about just put it inside a garden gnome and ship it all over the world? See if the FBI could catch up with it.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

More akin to Erin Andrews finding a camera in her room, and the perv asking for it back.

When you invade someone's privacy, don't expect your equipment back if it is found.

In reality, most times, you can expect and bugs, tracking devices, and audio/video recording equipment to be lost or destroyed when found ... if you spend 10k on it and it gets found, tough luck if the person gets mad and destroys the device found inside/on his property.

Edit: likely the only reason they want it back is so they can lose or destroy it themselves, getting rid of any evidence that might be used against them later. Ooops, sorry the intern threw it out.

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Did anyone else go look under their vehicle after reading this? :p