FCC Commissioner votes for NBC & Comcast merger, is hired by Comcast

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OutThere, May 11, 2011.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The crony capitalism in this country right now is ridiculous. Meredith Baker votes for and talks up the merger, only to immediately step down to the be hired as a lobbyist by Comcast. Was she anything more than a lobbyist-in-waiting while at the FCC? How long ago did Comcast approach her about this job?

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/f-c-c-commissioner-to-join-comcast/?hp

I chuckled at her discussion of adding jobs to the economy...her own job! ;)

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I thought federal employees signed documents saying they are forbidden to work as lobbyists in that specific field they're in.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Did she thumb her nose at everyone while she did this?

Honest to god, there needs to be jail for this.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How this is not seen as abuse is beyond me. I'd like to see jail sentences for this type of stuff.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Happens all the time in the large regulated businesses. Unfortunately, there are a lot of very highly paid lobbyests who donate a lot of money to members of a certain political party that oppose any regulatory changes, including restrictions that make regulations and the regulators more effective (hiring the people who regulate your business should be prohibited during a waiting period). (Remember, government is bad, and a free market is good) A good example is the oil rig inspection jobs. They are revolving doors into the oil biz. and as we have seen, have been made quite ineffective by deregulation and financial interests.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In theory hiring people like government oil rig inspectors or another one is OSHA inspectors is a good thing. Not because of the abuse but because those former OSHA and oil rig inspectors know the rules and regulations really well and know exactly what is being looked for along with knowing what paper work needs to be in check.

Problem comes when they might overlook something to get a job or bib with a job to do a poorer inspections.
    I used OSHA one because I have talk with those people before and some of the hire people in OSHA have no issue with it and think it is good thing because after 3-4 years of experience private industry hires them up for their own onsite safety managers because A they know what to look for and are generally pretty good at keeping everyone safe.

Biggest threat to companies dealing with safety is no OSHA fines but more insurance and workman comp. Those are were the real threat is and if you safety record or workman comp pay outs are to high you insurance rates go threw the roof so you want to keep people safe and following OSHA regulations generally does that.

It is good in theory just it is very open for abuse.

It is fine for the lower level spots but hire you go the more corruptions there is.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Why are people surprised by this? Corporations own and run this country and have for years. It doesn't matter who is President.

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, that's the word I was looking for, audacity. Greed has ****ed this country up royally.

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

So long as she's just working in the office and has no contact with the FCC, direct or otherwise, for the requisite two years...of course we all know that probably won't happen.

I can only imagine how much crappier NBC will become when shackled to Comcast. I got rid of them in November after a string of customer service epic failures and couldn't be happier.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How much worse can it get? If anything Comcast will spread NBC's crap farther out.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

after a certain point (like head of FCC) you should be banned from having ANY contact with the industry for a few years. Also on the heals of this the NBC comcast merger should be relook at because it was so contested.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's simply not enough, as a government official you should be barred from leaving and immediately working for corporation you regulated during your tenure. Anything less is cronyism.

It's the new Time Warner-AOL deal.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

When is the renaming ceremony? Its been the corporate states of america for a long time now, but you'd think sometime soon they might actually come clean about it and embrace it publicly.
    :rolleyes:

This country is so ****ed up. :mad: