FCC Seeks To Rein In Violent TV Shows

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Apr 25, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Federal regulators, concerned about the effect of television violence on children, will recommend that Congress enact legislation to give the government unprecedented powers to curb violence in entertainment programming, according to government and TV industry sources.

The Federal Communications Commission has concluded that regulating TV violence is in the public interest, particularly during times when children are likely to be viewers -- typically between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., FCC sources say.

The agency's recommendations -- which will be released in a report to Congress within the next week, agency officials say -- could set up a legal battle between Washington and the television industry.

For decades, the FCC has penalized over-the-air broadcasters for airing sexually suggestive, or "indecent," speech and images, but it has never had the authority to fine TV stations and networks for violent programming.

The FCC lamely takes the easy way out here -- letting Congress take the heat for defining these TV acts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/23/AR2007042302048.html

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you can regulate sexual content, I don't see why you can't regulate violent content as well.

Just more nanny-state BS.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The top shows on TV have some sort of violence. Its one thing to stop a boob from flashing on screen but If you take the violence out then who's gonna watch.

I don't think everyone wants to watch kid friendly cartoons.:rolleyes:

I am curious to see what the new congress does here. They want to change government but will they sink to the lows of the FCC.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why so? Because you think sex is dirtier than violence? Others see it differently, you know.

Besides, if you take out the boobs, who's gonna watch? :p
    Isn't that argument just as valid? :confused:

I guarantee you that if you could show boobs on TV, the top rated TV shows would have boobs all over the place.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Shows like 24 Heroes CSI all have some sort of violence, without that I doubt people would watch. Nobody is forcing kids to watch this stuff. If the parents were doing their jobs then the adults would not have to suffer.

Baywatch was a top rated show.

The bigger issue is that the FCC wants to regulate cable and premium TV as well as broadcast.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

With all of the violence you hear about on the news, I'm surprised they haven't rated it TV-MA and started fining the news outlets :rolleyes:

7. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I can't wait to see more Behind the Green Door reruns asap.