FCC to cave on Net Neutrality?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MyDesktopBroke, Dec 20, 2010.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr/obama-fcc-caves-on-net-ne_b_799435.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-aaron/the-fccs-guide-to-losing_b_795061.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBq7p0XhDRM&feature=player_embedded

(These are an opinion pieces on HuffPost. Obviously it's bias, so try to filter out the spin)

I've already contacted my rep. and senator about this, for what it's worth, but I don't expect any action at this point.

This is probably going to be backed by Tea Party people and Republicans - it's a loss of freedom for the consumer, but it isn't the government that's taking it away. Put another way, businesses will be free to control all data flow. It's pay-to-play, which is standard free market stuff, hence the GoP and Tea Party backing.

Views? Should the govt. regulate for the sake of freedom of information, consumer choice, and accessibility fairness? Or does being fair mean letting the internet giants do as they please - it's their service, and if you don't like it, don't buy it?

2. Sam Yikin macrumors regular

I find this disgusting, the people that are supposed to be looking out for us have caved and are now looking out for greedy corporations.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, it is. Will only get worse. Citizens United was a bad, bad ruling.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

A generation out of touch with technology making laws regarding it. What do you expect?

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

At some point the government is going to have to treat the internet like a literal highway - private business uses it but the infrastructure is maintained and regulated by the government in order to ensure that everyone can use it freely.

The way things are going, from the consumers perspective all we have to look forward to are more restrictions and more cost.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

At least Al Franken gets it.

HuffPo via Slashdot:

Political parties aside, it would be worth it to us if we all support Franken on this.

BL.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The government has no place in regulating the internet. They just need to make sure that no one else can regulate it either and then charge us for our traffic. If Verizon/ATT/Rogers/etc thinks I am paying extra per mb of facebook time vs. some other website I choose they can stick their cell up their ass.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What you suggest there constitutes a form of regulation, so we are in agreement.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hence, Net Neutrality.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't the goal of the FCC to protect our airwaves and keep them free and open? They seem to want to control the airwaves and who has access to them.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You and I both know the government won't be able to help itself for long. I want to be protected from both corporations and government. Government is not capable of regulating itself.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sad thing is, it's difficult to get people fired up about this. So many people are not tech savvy or even understand what this means.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How so? It's the telecom industry that is actively trying to erase the idea of net neutrality, the only thing that can keep them from doing so is government intervention.

They've already managed to swindle our un-tech-savy politicians into believing that wireless access and physical access to the internet should be allowed to be regulated differently. Thats a huge loss right there because the future of connectivity is obviously wireless.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The fact that FCC would even consider what is being proposed means that they go against what they are supposed to stand for.

The internet should be wide open for everyone to use without the threat if the ISP's blocking certain services because it goes against their business plan.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I was just wondering what you meant by "They seem to want to control the airwaves and who has access to them."

That is the point of the FCC. There is only so much of the spectrum, therefore the FCC has the task of allotting chunks for certain uses, and regulating what can be done with them and by whom.

17. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

My view is that the internet is such an incredible tool for the dissemination of knowledge, innovation, and political ideas that as soon as you start pay-to-play it becomes a battle to write the truth/create a monopoly. If people can only afford to see one side of a story, that's the side most people will choose. If they can only afford to see one product, that's what most people will buy. I don't want to internet to become just another ungodly money sink for political and corporate powers, with grassroots organizations and entrepreneurs being forced to pay "gate keepers" in order to get through.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, not unlike Pandora's box, once opened it can never be closed again.

That is the problem facing those that would craft how the future plays out.

This goes way beyond being merely a library analogy. Social Engineers have a tough time dealing with this much dissemination of knowledge, or drivel it must be said.

I am past the point of being affected, but you younger people are not.

This issue is right up there with freedom of speech, IMO.

19. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

That's why we have these things called elections. :cool:

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The job if the FCC is to assign spectrum and to make sure that stations don't go over power. I don't think they should be demanding what content is acceptable, however they should demand that ISP's whose job it is to offer content don't throttle or block what they determine as the competition. The airwaves should be free in what is said over them. The main job of the FCC is to make sure there is no interference between carriers. I don't want anyone to be censoring what is said.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A laudable goal, but you best keep your wits about you, for I fear the "Corporation" will seek to control what is said.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Don't think he said it was a goal, just as wanting to eat ice cream all the time isn't a goal.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You equate eating ice cream all the time with freedom of expression??

You must have some waist-line.

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

You conflate an ice cream/net neutrality post with freedom of rhetorical questions??

You must have some waste-time.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Why is a wide open internet and freedom to say what I want where I want not a goal?

It should not have to be a goal it should just happen.

The FCC should not have the job of censoring anything and ISPs should not be allowed to block any traffic. Public airways are just that, public.