FCC to regulate news and print

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thewap, Feb 20, 2014.

1. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I just did a search about this. If this happens.... just wow.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yeah I was kinda under the same impression. With that whole "freedom of the Press" thing.... :)

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When the first link went to Alex Jones' site, I bailed.

7. mobilehaathi, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

http://rsf.org/index2014/en-index2014.php

With regards to the link in the OP, it is incredibly poorly cited. The only link to a non-inquisitr in that article is a WSJ article on Net Neutrality...

Edit: Actually there are two non-inquisitr links that are essentially clones of the same story...

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for the link.:D

OPs link struck me as more than a bit iffy...but since I have no familiarity with the site I withheld judgement.

I did find this in the site's "About" section. Fortunately they are not troubled by false modesty...

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As far as I know, there are at least two organisations which classify and then rank states under a number of headings, and aggregate the total, releasing the results annually.

One is Transparency International. I have known a number of people who have worked for this organisation and they are invariably excellent, and meticulous about the sources they use from which they derive their conclusions. One of the things they rank is press freedom, but their key interest lies in the field of examining corruption.

The other is the UN. Each year, they release the UN-HDI (UN - Human Development Index.) Again, this ranks every state in the world under several different headings (treatment of women, access to and quality of education, health, housing, freedom of the press, and so on).

Both sources are very reliable and are very highly regarded by those who cite & use them.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Any thoughts on RSF?

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The statistics given by various sources when ranking the US in this category differ in the precise rank assigned. However, what is of interest, is that by First World standards, the US scores surprisingly poorly under a variety of headings, and this pattern (rather than the precise place) is reflected in every report which I have read.

They are very good, and are highly regarded and much rated in the field.

While I would use them for research, as officialdom tend to find it harder to dispute - or refute - a source such as TI or UNHDI, I'd use the latter when engaging with such individuals if these topics arose.

With media themselves, RSF are a deeply respected source.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Oopsie: I posted this in another thread at what seemed to be an apropos point before I saw this thread.

From Zero Hedge: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-...nment-researchers-monitor-media-organizations

"Incredibly, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is set to roll out something called the Critical Information Needs study, which will embed government “researchers” into media organizations around the nation to make sure they are doing their job properly.

No this isn’t “conspiracy theory.” It is so real, and represents such a threat to the First Amendment, that a current FCC commissioner, Ajit Pai, recently wrote an Op-Ed in the Wall Street Journal, warning Americans of this scheme."

Link to Op-Ed: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304680904579366903828260732

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Although I am not saying this project is a good idea, I understand it. The people getting exercised about it don't. Once upon a time, "The Public Airwaves", that is, that part of the RF spectrum devoted to public radio and TV, were actually considered public property, not corporate property. As such, use of said "airwaves" (RF spectrum) had to follow certain guidelines that did not necessarily apply to newspapers. Hence, the "The Fairness Doctrine". That the FCC is actually trying to do its job is bona fide news, because increasingly the RF spectrum is seen as corporate property.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sorry, but it is not the government's business to override the belief of anybody who voices an opinion on radio or TV. Once an airwave is leased and permitted, its content--absent lying--is not a government concern.

This "monitoring" makes us the equivalent of Venezuela, China or the USSR--maybe not right now, but eventually. Think camel's nose and tent.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The WSJ article, although it starts out in a rather alarmist way, does get to some useful history:

I agree with the author that the Fairness Doctrine was unworkable. I do think the public does have some say in what is on the broadcast spectrum.

Regarding the press freedom indices: I've seen these indices from time to time; there is a Wikipedia article that shows the history of the Reporters Without Borders score for each country, and, as it happens, the Transparency International site also points to Reporters Without Borders:

http://www.transparency.org/news/feature/world_press_freedom_day_2012

http://en.rsf.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index

I don't see a UN HDI press freedom index or site independent of the above Press Freedom Index.

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Nothing in the "OP-Ed" states the gov has any plans to override anything, let alone opinion pieces. These articles all started from one opinion piece, the op-ed wsj, and ran with it as if it was pure fact.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Is the monitoring a myth?

Are all governments always benevolent?

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Given the link above yours, it would seem that it is.

22. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This was on the news this morning, and was thinking the same thing, but we have seen many laws ignored by our government lately.

23. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

It's like they all get together, throw as much illegal ***** at the wall as they can come up with to see what sticks.