FCC votes yes on Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Feb 26, 2015.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The FCC has voted 3-2 to classify the internet as a Title II utility.
    http://time.com/3723722/fcc-net-neutrality-2/

2. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Yeah, I can't wait for my bill to increase and my speeds to slow. :/

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya because we really have those mega fast speeds now with really cheap prices. :rolleyes:

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If you're waiting for that, then you're with the wrong provider.

Having this classified as a Title II utility classifies this (and broadband) as a utility, like power or telephone service. Since most of the big name providers (VZW/ATT/Comcast/TWC) provide phone service via those wires going into your house, they can no longer restrict access to those lines.

This enables other companies (like Google and others) the access and ability to provide fiber directly to you, ensuring competition with those other providers, and killing the monopoly they would have had over such service based on the classification of their service.

Win for business (ensuring fair competition), win for the customer (faster rollout of fiber, ensuring faster speeds), and forcing the other providers to innovate instead of hiding behind laws lobbyists.

BL.

6. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

I didn't say it was cheap now... but do you think it is really going to get cheaper for the majority of people? I bet there will be "taxes" and "fees" that will be added to the bill - both by the provider and the government.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The lawsuits will be coming tho, so don't expect a fast roll out. The ISP's are going to fight this to the death.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

When you have faster rollout of fiber because of this classification, you definitely will be seeing cheaper prices for faster speed.

BL.

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Those taxes and fees already exist. Have you seen your cable bill.

10. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

Yes, but you add more government "regulation" you're probably going to get more taxes/fees.

11. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The only "regulation" is against the ISP's blocking service. It sounds more like anti regulation.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    What Macnut is saying. This was basically put into effect due to ISPs wanting to act as a tollbooth between you and 3rd party services like Netflix, with both you and they paying for the right to access each other. They were double dipping on the bill, in other words, and it would've raised prices across the boards were the ISPs allowed to have their way.

Title II prevents ISPs from doing that, only allowing them to throttle data in order to maintain network consistency, rather than because they found a way to make a buck at our expense. It is, like Macnut said, an anti-regulation. It doesn't require anything except that your broadband provider treats all data going through its network the same, without preference or restriction.

13. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

This is fantastic, I read a live blog on it. (Although it was from the Verge... ugh)

I original thought Wheeler was going to be a corporate shillbag and make things worse. I was surprised with Title II it was announced. A step in the right direction this goes.

14. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the bullet points.

Can't wait to read all the fine print that contradicts it all.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Everyone thought that. He's an ex-cable lobbyist sitting at the head of at the FCC. We all thought we were gonna be screwed over.

But now here we are, watching him actually do his job. It's a helluva weird thing.

And what's really funny is that the ISPs did this to themselves. They sued the FCC over the previous net neutrality-lite laws that allowed them to do pretty much whatever they wanted to, so long as they didn't regulate traffic on the last mile. They didn't like it, so they took them to court, got it thrown out, and now...welcome to reclassification under Title II. It's like a textbook example of falling on your ass because you got too greedy.

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

And that's the part that a bunch of people can't understand. This is regulation stating that the companies cannot block certain services or make certain services faster than others based on who pays the most. In other words, they can't add new overhead and equipment to track and charge.

This is regulation essentially saying "leave it as it is and don't make it harder". So, there's nothing to do.

Of course, some people simply see the words "government" and "regulation" and immediately think that companies are going to be burdened by all sorts of new rules that change their business and cost them lots of money. Apparently, they can't even take four seconds to actually read what it's about.

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Even then, this new law isn't covering the ISPs under the full spectrum of Title II restrictions. They're still allowed to set their own prices and whatnot, so we'll still see healthy competition there at least. It's merely demanding that they don't regulate traffic. Which I saw a nice quote on...

“This is no more a plan to regulate the Internet than the First Amendment is a plan to regulate free speech.”

Yeah. They're the same group of people who take pot shots at census people because THAR GUVMINT!. You can't really argue with crazy.

18. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

How could one not think of the burden when a) the FCC's proposal was 322 pages? I get all the legalese and things like that, but 322 pages... and b) Oh, the public didn't get to see it before they voted on it? That doesn't scare anyone?

Listen, I think NN is a good idea, but I think this will be more than what most supporters bargained for.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The way I understand this it means the fibre under the road by my house can be used by AT&T who owns the fibre.

Up until now they couldn't use it because of the rules.

This means comcast can't block AT&T from providing Fibre to my house.

I will be happy to pay a few extra bucks if I can get out from under comcast's thumb.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Something to keep in mind is that the FCC was already regulating Internet providers, up until the court ruling a year ago.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Under Title II classification, you are quite correct. Comcast couldn't block ATT, or Google, or whomever wants to roll out fiber. This means more locations for roll out, and as such, cheaper prices, as one could be undersold on service.

BL.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Or you can just pay an extra $10 monthly to read and post on forums. ;)

23. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

better than working... :)

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Oh god. You're not playing the Entitlement card, are you?