FCE and Toast: I want to burn in HD!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redneck juggler, Sep 2, 2008.

1. redneck juggler macrumors newbie

I own a Canon HF100 which I got for the sole purpose of recording HD video. I got FCE to edit the HD content. I got Toast to burn in HD. All I want to do is get my little 4 minute videos to burn in a clear HD format on DVD-R discs that will play in my PS3. I have read several forums and nothing seems to be working well for me. Sometimes the picture is stretched and other times it looks like web quality. The sound echos too. Now, I am not a computer genius by any means so please be clear in your responses as I do not understand much of the lingo and acronyms used in this process.

2. kolax macrumors G3

When you are referring to the picture quality, is that after you've exported it from Final Cut Express, and burned it with Toast and played it on your PS3? Or is it the actual exported Final Cut Express quality you aren't happy with?

If you are burning HD content onto a DVD and want it to play as an actual DVD (not a data disc) then the video will be downsized, and depending on how well Toast does this, it might do a poor job at it.

3. redneck juggler thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it is a little of both, but I cannot tell. I've exported it so many different ways that I can't remember. Like I said, some of them are stretched out vertically and the audio has an echo to it. I've managed to get one of them in 16:9 ratio but I can't remember how.

Like I said, I am just wanting the clearest picture I can get on a dvd-r disc from my HD camcorder. The programs I have are FCE and Toast 9 Titanium with the BD/HD plug-in. I may have gotten the best quality out of the video on one of my tries but like I said, I can't remember what I did on each of the 8-10 exports. I just kept messing around with different settings without any specific order.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You can't burn HD content to DVDs and expect it to play back at HD size. DVDs are not capable of supporting the data rate required. You will need to burn it to Blu-ray if you want proper HD content.

5. kolax macrumors G3

First, what is the quality of the FCE export? And what format are you using?

I export my movies at this resolution 704x396 to put onto a DVD.

However, take a screenshot (press CMD+SHIFT+4 then Spacebar) of your export settings. Are you exporting as a QuickTime Movie? If so, what sort, what is the settings? Go to 'Setting' and scroll to 'Custom'.

6. redneck juggler thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check into that tomorrow when I get some time. Like I said, this should probably not be as difficult as I'm making it. I just need some guidance as to what the custom set up should be when exporting to quicktime.