Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkilzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
California
Help! I am a new FCE user (1.0 with upgrade ordered). I pressed the wrong key (instead of "W" to toggle wireframe I pressed "Cntl W") and closed the timeline and canvas windows. Pressing "Cmd 2" or "Cmd 3" does not reopen these windows. These options are greyed-out on the Window drop down. How do I reopen the timeline and canvas windows?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
You probably have to re-open the project. Go to the File menu and select Open or hit command + O and browse to your latest project file.

dkilzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
California
Project Already Open

Thanks for the response. I have tried as you suggested and FCE responds "project already open". I closed FCE again and started again using a standard layout. When I opened the file I was editing, the layout reverted to as before (browser and viewer but no timeline or canvas) and all attempts to open with Cmd 2 and Cmd 3 fail and these window options are greyed out on Window dropdown. ... lost two hours and counting!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Final Cut Pro has done that to me a couple of times. I used the Windows menu, specifically Windows->Arrange->Standard, to get it right again. Does Final Cut Express have similar menu choices?

dkilzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
California
Found a way...

Got the windows back. Double-clicked the Sequence in the browser window and the Canvas and Timeline magically reappeared... What a friendly package... I am getting homesick for Premiere.

dkilzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
California
Same options as Pro

Thanks for the response Doctor Q.

Yes, FCE has the same options. But they did not work in this case. I am happy that the sequence was there to select... I am more careful now that I know that an errant keystroke can send you to never-never land.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Found a way...

Originally posted by dkilzer
Got the windows back. Double-clicked the Sequence in the browser window and the Canvas and Timeline magically reappeared... What a friendly package... I am getting homesick for Premiere.

Glad you figured out how to get your windows back. cntrl+w closes the current tab you are working in. So if you are working in the browser it will close the current project and if you are in the timeline it will close the current sequence. And if you only have one sequnce open and you close it of course the timeline and canvas will disappear because you closed the sequence they were referenceing. It is a useful feature you just aren't familar enough w/FCE to be aware of what it does. It's funny you mention Premiere because that horrible GUI was a main reason I went into big deep for a Mac + FCP a couple of years ago. ;)

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.