FCP 6.0.5 file from imac to a mini DV on the Canon xi Optura

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chinalake, Mar 11, 2009.

1. chinalake macrumors newbie

We are trying to get a short film out of FCP 6.0.5 to a mini DV on the Canon xi Optura Using the imac and 400 firewire

1) the imac doesn't seem to locate the canon xi
    2) we have read so many discussions on compressing the files, easy setup, 4:3 quicktime, squishing, etc - very confused
    3) would love any help or a step by step to get this done - would prefer to learn how to do this rather than take it to a lab for $300

2. xStep macrumors 68000

Well, you can't get far without solving problem number one. I'm not at a Mac right now, so...

Click on the Apple symbol on the left side of the menu and select 'About this Mac'. In the window that appears click the buttom for more information. Look for a 'Firewire' selection under the hardware section. If your camera was turned on before entering this window, you should see it listed. If not, they you have a connection issue, likely the cable.

3. chinalake thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you so much for responding

checked both firewire and tried a usb cable connection - neither were recognized on the imac, in the apple - more info - under their respective categories

i guess this is a canon xi issue? at this point? maybe the driver? or the actual camera setting?

4. xStep macrumors 68000

If your camera is a miniDV tape camera, then firewire is your only choice for importing the video without loss. Otherwise you'd need to use an analog converter from the video out port you would use to hook up to a TV.

I attached a clip of what System Profiler shows when my camera is hooked up.

There are four points of possible failure of why OS X might not see your camera; the camera, the Mac firewire port, the cable, and human error.

The camera should be turned on BEFORE you start System Profiler, otherwise you have to use the Refresh option.

Cables are often the problem, so make sure your connections of fully inserted. If so, more the cable around and try the Refresh option several times.

If you can try it with someone elses computer that would be a good idea too.

Attached Files:

5. -DH macrumors 65816

Also make sure the camera is in the correct modes: set for DV input and VTR (PLAY) mode.

-DH

6. chinalake thread starter macrumors newbie

Great - got it to recognize the optura

The camera is set to DV IN and in Play (VCR) mode

I picked an in and out put on the timeline to try to "print to video" but when i play back, it's just a blue screen, did not record the timeline footage?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Do you have External Video turned on in FCP?

Lethal

8. chinalake thread starter macrumors newbie

not to my knowledge - where and when do I enable

THANKS

9. chinalake thread starter macrumors newbie

found it under VIEW and hit "all frames" - will try this again and report back

that didnt do anything or even allow me - the check mark seems to be glued to the OFF under external video options

10. xStep macrumors 68000

11. chinalake thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok - now i get the visual on the camera screen - yeah

But it is only recording the sound? THANKS

I have now tried this on our macbook pro as well as the imac and i also tried the P2 Camera to print to mini DV - still seeing the initial video cue on the flip out camera screen but only recording SOUND

PLS HELP - i have watched tutorials and keep referring to the FCP manual -

my camera is set on vtr - i have the all frames on external video...really at a loss here as to what settings i still have incorrect