(FCS) Speech recorded in room - filter to make it sound like recorded in my garden?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by steveOooo, Aug 22, 2010.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Any ideas?

Ive keyed the guy out and keyed in footage of my garden, want the speech to sound like hes outside VS inside a studio.

WHat filter in FCP7 should i use? if any

2. Mebsat macrumors regular

Why not just record your garden as room tone?

10-15 seconds should do it, ensure no planes, door slams or unique one-time sounds that the ear would remember.

Paste enough to fill the time.
    (cut smaller pieces in randomly if you can hear any repeated patterns)

Cross fade each join over 2-3 seconds.

Pan a little to one side.

3. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

no sorry ment the speech - theres no garden noise just music

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

There's no single-filter panacea for this. It's fundamentally difficult because you can't isolate echo or reverb by frequency. You might find it next to impossible to get satisfactory results in post, and if it matters it'd be better to reshoot or ADR it.

But if you want to attempt it you could try the Noise Gate filter in FCP to cut the echo/reverb trails, and Channel EQ in Soundtrack to roll off low frequencies (if they're a problem). If any of this works, the audio you're left with will not be pretty and you'll have to try to disguise that with atmos and music.

I know this is said about almost everything, but this really does depend on the specifics. Before you try the above I'd recommend posting a sample on a hardcore audio forum and accepting defeat if they tell you it's not going to work.

5. Policar macrumors 6502a

This is almost impossible. Unless your sound is extremely good and recorded correctly (and no, a shotgun mic won't be good enough unless you're shooting in an iso booth or sound stage), the reverb will be virtually impossible to eliminate (though the above suggestion makes sense in theory).

Just dub it outside (or even in an iso booth if you're very skilled at mixing). No one plug-in will alter the sound appropriately, though some may improve your sound slightly (noise gate and careful eq and then mix in a loop of the outdoors); it would take a talented professional a lot of work to even approximate a naturalistic version of what you want. Removing reverb and room tone is MUCH harder than adding it. Kudos on pulling the key, though....lighting greenscreen for day exterior is especially tricky!