FDNY Enlisted In War On Terror

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Dec 7, 2007.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm sure our resident big-government conservatives will be thrilled about this...

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

i don't think we shoud put any additional burdens upon our firefighters. If they are busy looking for terrorists, are they still functioning at the same level? Let them put out the fires.

I would guess in the past if a firefighter saw something suspicious, they would probably call someone. Isn't there already a terrorist/criminal hotline they could call?

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suspect many conservatives won't be upset about this until they think Hillary is using this program to secretly keep track of all their guns.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

couldn't agree more.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is great - now if there really is a terrorist cell (or a bank robbery gang, etc) in a building that has a FD rescue required, the criminals now know they have to shoot to kill the firemen as well.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just what I was thinking.

8. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually, the most insidious part of this is not during a fire. During a fire, the firemen are pretty busy, and incriminating evidence tends to be... well, on fire.

The creepy part is that they apparently intend to use the FD for surveillance during fire inspections. So they can schedule a fire inspection of any place they feel like, and the FD has the legal authority to enter without any warrant.

Pretty convienent.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Firefighters have one of the most demanding jobs the way it is. Their job requires them to respond to emergency situations and to help save lives. Adding this investigative side of the deal is a bad idea. A firefighter has to stop on the first floor of a house because they believe they have found a NY transit map. That takes way from them going up to the second floor to check if any people are still inside the house.

People typically do not trust the police, but everyone trusts firefighters because they are there to help. People will be more reluctant to seek the aid of a firefighter if they believe the firefighter will be preforming intelligence gathering.

The Dept. of Homeland Security is stupid.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I had only been considering this from a emergency situation. However, fire inspections offer a much greater method of surveillance. I can see several issues with this, which were not as apparent when I was wearing my little brain.

The fire inspectors would have to begin packing guns. After on gets killed, they will come in as a group, packing Uzis. And now, they would be technically under the DHS, so you are in the federal system.

This has disaster written all over it.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There is, but like EMTs, they're there to help and nothing else. In the other cases already mentioned, it's just going to make people more suspicious where they shouldn't be. Making things more dangerous for everyone and making people more paranoid, not that they have no reason to be.

Waiting for someone to come in here and tell us why this is a good idea and why we shouldn't be more paranoid, but I'm not holding my breath.