Fear Of A Black President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Racists don’t walk around in white sheets. You don’t have to be a member of a white supremacist group to be prejudiced and seen as one. Sometimes, in order to understand some of the weasels around us and how they mask their words, you have to have the larger truth smacked down and spelled out for you.

Ta-Nehisi Coates — one of my favourite writers and black — with far more intelligence, knowledge and wisdom than most of here, writes at the Atlantic:

He writes about Trayvon Martin:

Remember back in 2009, the hysterical storm of shrieking and the rending of garments when the President gave a speech to school students?

Texas, where the Republican Party’s platform includes the repeal of the Voting Rights Act. And so, onwards:

To me, the most salient passage is about Reverend Wright:

My emphasis. Summing up:

You'll sometimes notice that some people become affronted when accused of racism. However, note that they're often unconcerned about actual racism when its practiced.

To understand some of the historical picture of what Barack Obama — the 44th President of the United States, your president — deals with, read what it’s like to walk in another’s shoes, read this article twice if you have to… and if you don’t want to be thought of as cowardly, ignorant and racist, then stop talking and acting like one.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That applies to all bigotry. People get more offended at being called a bigot then concerned about people not having their full civil rights. It's very interesting.

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

My personal perception is that the wide middle of the American scene are rather race-agnostic, Obama's ethnicity is not really relevant. Some on the left fringe and in the black community, applaud his non-whiteness. Some on the fringe right feel that they are being vilified as racists for not supporting him – these people seem to struggle with what actually constitutes racism while at he same time posting monkey photoshops and other blatantly racist attacks. For the rest, Obama is just a personable guy with a rather odd name (dammit, I can no longer verbally describe Jethro Tull's musical style as "barock" without confusion) who has shown that he can hit the high notes.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

There's a whole bunch of people who like to believe they're "race-agnostic" in this country, but in reality the thought of having an honest, open discussion about race/racism simply scares the **** out of them.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I could care less what his color or ethnic background is.

I despise his politics, philosophy and policies.

Of courses since he is also black and I am not, I'm a racist too in the minds of liberals who thru their policies continue to support a racial division in the US long past the time when conservatives simply expect people to step up and take personal responsibility rather than continue to blame the white man for their problems.

White guilt played a large part in electing Obama, however I don't believe it will be enough to keep him in office, even as the pundits play the race card close to the election.

Vote based on policy, politics and track record, not on the color of his skin.

6. Aragornii macrumors 6502

If someone accused you of being a child molester you might be very offended and denounce it more loudly than you speak out against child molestation on any given day. Being offended at being called a racist is not mutually exclusive with being concerned about racism.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That is utter nonsense. You perceive that to be the case, but I know of no liberals who would characterize you as racist for disagreeing with his policies. The "race card" bs is nothing more than right-wing spew.

No, not at all. The Republicans put up Alan Keyes against Obama in '04, but Keyes got zero traction because he is a dogmatic fool who has nothing reasonable to offer. Obama did well in '08 because he seemed like a smart and decent person, especially in comparison to the bumbling, awkward McCain, and people were weary of eight years of Republican policy. It was all about the economy, "white man's guilt" was a non-issue.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That depends.

You are welcome to disagree (despise is such a strong word) with Obama's politics, philosophy and policies—just as I "disagree" with Mitt Romey's politics, philosophy and policies. But if you question Obama's citizenship, loyalty to his country, or religious faith, then you cross the line between mere disagreement and bigotry.

So I'll ask you directly, thewitt, do you believe Obama is a citizen of the United States? Do you believe that he is trying to advance America's cause? Do you believe that he is a Christian and not a Muslim?

I eagerly await your answers.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is definitely an issue. I know people who have been called racist because the do not like the President's policies/performance. It's created a lot of apprehension because now people are being accused of bigotry (falsely)...those claims can get someone fired from their job, and really ruin someone's life. While I am sure there are some to quite a few people who DO have racist attitudes towards the President (as racism is still quite alive in the US), most people probably don't...people get worked up about politics and dish out insults, challenges, smear campaigns, you name it. Because of this, people who consider making an accusation of bigotry (in any instance) should be a critical analyst to determine where political hate and racial hate overlap and differ, and if something is racially-charged, politically-charged, both, or neither.

10. AhmedFaisal Guest

No. What you despise, what so many of the American Taliban despise is that someone dares to disagree with your worldview. The fact that you still haven't owned up to yet another one of your blatant contradictions in the welfare thread speaks volumes. What defines you and your ilk at the core is hate, ignorance and fear. Hate of those that are and think different. Ignorance of the world and the fact that there is a multitude of ways to approach things and many of them better than your dogmas. Fear of that which forces you to question your beliefs and challenges you to look beyond your narrowminded horizon. I pity you and yours, but that doesn't make me any less determined to stop you from leading this country and the world down the path of destruction.

11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

That’s a view that might hold some water, however there’s a large difference between the population and its culture and the people who actually turn out to vote i.e. the American electorate, which tends to be older and whiter.

I’m not on best form at the moment, so apologies for outsourcing a large part of my post. Here’s an additional piece in response to the article by Jamelle Bouie at The American Prospect:

12. leekohler, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The problem, as always seems to be the case here, is an uninformed electorate. We have a large portion who watch Fox News, and think that they're getting the truth, when they're really just told what they want to hear.

In reality, too many people in this country do not care about the truth, they only care about what they think should be the truth.

If we get Romney, we concede the truth no longer matters. If we get Obama, we put that off for four more years, but that's probably all. This election looks to be close, and it should not be. I think Obama will squeak through, but after that, we may get an administration that undoes all the civil rights progress made. Look at the former USSR. After they broke up, human rights were afforded to everyone. Now, it is a crime to even mention homosexuality in a positive light. Things can go backwards, folks, even here. I fear we are headed there, no matter what happens.

Everyone keeps saying, "Oh no- we're going to get to equality soon." I don't see it happening. The religious right is too strong here. I've seen it go backwards before in the 80's.

Why? Because people will keep voting for religious conservatives who promise a better economy and lower taxes, even though they have never delivered, and will never deliver for most people. And the worse off people get, the more they will look for a boogeyman.

Mark my words, we will be the ones who truly pay.

13. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Racism is often more a matter of the subconcious.

Just ask yourself if you walk down an otherwise empty city street and 3 young males come the other direction.

What is your pulse if they are all black (or hispanic) ?
    What is your pulse if they all look like your sons ?

While I consider myself pretty much reasonable I do react different when I see 3 turkish looking youngsters coming my way as opposed to 3 white guys (unless those have shaved heads and wear bomber-jackets :rolleyes: ).

There is also the other side of the coin where one start tries very hard to make sure one doesn't react to the opposites "exotic" look which offcourse means allready having reacted :eek:

Obama being black did obviously help him amongst black voters but it also had an effect on white voters. Wether more people voted for him based on guild then there were people not voting for him cos he's black would be an hard to gather statistic.

Another thought, if it was about Biden vs Romney how much support would those "christian right" give to mormon (and moron) like Romney ?

14. leekohler, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Honestly? I just look at how they're dressed and how they are behaving. If I see three white young guys dressed in Cubs gear and drunk, I cross the street. Trust me, nothing good will come of that encounter. If I see three black kids in Sox gear similarly inebriated, I cross the street as well. Hispanic kids? Harmless. It's usually all bravado with them, since I'm usually twice their size. I stay on my side of the street. Hispanics are generally the nicer of the two.

If any of these groups are dressed in simply t-shirts and jeans? I stay on my side.

If any kid of mine were caught out late harassing or intimidating people, I'd lock them in the house for a month.

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I have not seen any proof that he is not a citizen

I'm not sure what you men by America's cause, however I believe he cares about what he sees as America's future - which is not a vision I share.

I have seen no proof that he is Christian or a Muslim, however his actions and policies are clearly pro-Muslim - though that in and of itself does not make him a Muslim.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Which policies?

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Bombing Muslims with drones of course. Muslims love that.

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Mandatory insurance premiums in Obamacare for one. Muslims directly excluded.

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Running away from the region and leaving it for the extremists to take control again made up for the few bombs dropped with drones.

20. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Another rumor with 1% factual content being passed off as "truth". A couple of questions for you:

1) Do you actually believe this, or, are you just entertaining yourself?

2) If you actually do believe it, what is your reaction to changing "Muslims" in the above sentence to "Amish"?

Some information for you, if you actually want information on the subject. I'm betting on 1), but, I could be wrong:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/exemptions.asp

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Conservatives spent a great deal of time and effort tying Obama to Reverend Jeremiah Wright and the Trinity United Church of Christ, in Chicago.

Perhaps you missed that.

Or you could take Obama for his word when he describes himself as a Christian.

I find it curious that you don't see either of these things as proof.

22. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

He is the President that whacked Osama and bunch of other terrorists using a variety of measures... (some which I have major issues with)

And as far as the insurance clause being "pro-Muslim", I don't see that. He made a political decision that was free of religious bias and religious organizations got mad. There are a lot of his politics I disagree with but just because he wasn't favoring Christianity doesn't mean he was favoring Muslims IMO.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Source? Citation needed here.

24. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Trayvon Martin was a thug and was killed as an act of self defense by hispanic George Zimmerman. Boy the media sure tried as hard as it could to make it a race thing, but it wasn't. Absolutely despicable. Obama commenting on it was just as despicable, and made him look just as racist as they tried to make Zimmerman.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde