Fear of Death Drives People to Reject Evolution; Research.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Mar 31, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

More at source.

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

"However, intelligent design advocates such as Prof. Behe, a U.S. author and biochemist, assert that complex biochemical and cellular structures are too complex to be explained by evolutionary mechanisms and should be attributed to a supernatural creator."

Magnetism... How the **** does that work?

3. 184550 Guest

IMO, it's just a basic human desire to want to know/ feel that everything is going to be alright and that someone else is in control, even though ones self may not be.

When you're a little kid, you (usually) turn to your parents.

When you're a young adult, you (usually) turn to your friends/ parents.

When you're an adult, you (usually) turn to your significant other/ parents.

When you're an older adult and your parents/ significant other/ friends are all dead or otherwise unable, you turn to the (usually) only other source of comfort you might be familiar with. For some people that's evidently a spiritual entity.

While the study may indicate that these turn to/ believe in a spiritual entity, I doubt the belief is sincerely held.

4. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I forgot, how do amino acids evolve into DNA?

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Don't Catholics believe in Evolution?

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So because science can't fully explain every single detail of everything just yet, that validates your theory of an invisible man snapping his fingers and creating it all? Who created him? How does is a god born out of infinite nothing. And what was the point of him creating us? And why didn't he do it earlier? Why did he waste his time with all the creatures like dinosaurs that existed on this planet before us? See? I can ask ridiculous questions that you most likely can't answer also. Remember, modern science is only about a century old, your religion has had over 2000 years to try and answer these questions and it still has failed to do it. And your only answer is "oh, well god created it". Try again.

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

When I first read this, I couldn't help but think that fear must be much more prevalent in the USA, because so many here are christian.

It makes sense really, a frayed social safety net does not engender trust.

That's sad.

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

The conservatives cut the social safety net which keeps more people being religious which then in turn strengthens their base. Makes total sense unfortunately. :(

9. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

@likemyorbs,
    Where did the quote in your signature come from?

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I'm Catholic and I believe in evolution. What I find difficult to grasp is why some people's thinking is so black and white, so binary. It's always, "Religion is right and science is bunk" or Science is always right, religion is a blind squirrel. Meh...I understand religion and science equally well. Both have its place. I can't imagine the black and white world some people live in; mine is 256 shades of grey.

11. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I wouldn't say that my world is black and white. I think that there very well might be a God as a first mover of sorts.
    I don't think that it contacts humans, because of the dissimilarity of all religions.
    I don't really see how you fit Catholicism with science. Would you agree with this history of the world:
    -For 3.5 Billion years, life evolves through a series of overpopulation, famine, and death.
    -At some point, about 200,000 years ago, humans have evolved enough to be given a soul by God.
    -These humans are subject to those same forces, and die terrible deaths from predation or disease or wars with hominids or other humans.
    -At some point, around 2,000 ago God decides that he would like to fix this cycle. He chooses to send his son, who is himself, to be mutilated and killed to fulfill the law that he made, to impress himself.
    Personally, I think that the idea of Jesus who is a divine savior fits better with Young Earth Creationism than the scientific viewpoint of the world.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Vatican thread, page 20

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've never understood why people are so afraid to die. We all do it. If we all do it, it must not be that horrible. Just make sure that when you do, you've done all you've wanted to- that you've tried everything you've ever wanted to do.

14. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Affirmative
    I ask an innocent question and I get attacked...

The history of the Earth is better known with each passing day

Query, if the second law of thermodynamics says that a system progresses from a perfectly ordered state to a perfectly disordered state then what cause the perfectly ordered state?

15. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't know what you mean by perfectly ordered? Isn't it just a hypothetical we invent in our imagination to be able to do calculations with what we can currently see?
    And even if there were such a state and it were caused by a God, that would be no reason for that god to be the god of the Jews. It does not imply that the designer of the universe wishes for parents to mutilate their children's genitals. It does not imply that sexual acts between consenting adults are sinful.
    This is the step that I don't understand. How do you get from 'we exist in a universe apparently designed for life*' to 'the god of the Bible is the one true god.'
    *I believe that saying that the universe was designed for life is like a water puddle saying "Isn't it so fortunate that I happened to be placed in this particular crevice so perfectly made for my shape?" Life is adapted to the universe, not the other way around.

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

If a perfectly disordered state AKA equilibrium is the end point then a perfectly ordered state is the begin point (or at least that is what the Second Law of Thermodynamics suggests).

Did I say any of that?

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Second law of thermodynamics

The second law of thermodynamics is an expression of the tendency that over time, differences in temperature, pressure, and chemical potential equilibrate in an isolated physical system. From the state of thermodynamic equilibrium, the law deduced the principle of the increase of entropy and explains the phenomenon of irreversibility in nature.

I too have an issue with your terms "perfectly ordered".

Nonetheless, the Earth is not an "isolated physical system".

18. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Anxiety can make the usually rational completely irrational. What a shocking finding.

19. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

When did I say I was talking about the Earth :confused:

Apologizes for using woefully antiquated terminology

20. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Fear of death is what caused humans to invent religion. Captain Obvious to the rescue!

21. iStudentUK, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I really hope this question is a joke! It makes no sense! It's like saying "I forgot, how does petrol speed into making a car?". Three ideas from the same field (amino acids, evolve, DNA) strung together in an illogical way.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics does not say that. It is really an equation nowadays, but to put it into words it would be "a spontaneous change in an isolated system is accompanied by an increase in entropy". The words in bold are key. Entropy is not really about disorder. I studied chemistry as an undergraduate and entropy and thermodynamics are very, very complex- today it is closely related to quantum mechanics. So I think if I could bastardise a scientific saying I'd say "if you think you understand thermodynamics, you don't understand thermodynamics". Myself included!

I'm not surprised at this research. Religion/God/afterlife is a nice idea for many people and comforts them. Plus, some people consider the idea of humans evolving as making us less special. The key is to look at the evidence and not what we want it to say, unfortunately this is hard to do!

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sorry. I read these posts and just must have imagined it ...

Just to elaborate a little more on the 2nd Law ...

The Earth is receiving energy from the Sun, as well as other sources. It's these energies, along with other conditions, that are currently allowing order to exist. Once these energies cease to enter the Earth's sphere, then the 2nd Law will surely be fulfilled.

On the other hand, if the Sun ceases to exist and life on Earth continues to flourish, then that would then be an excellent argument for divine intervention.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Humans, yes, but the founders of various churches, for fear of death is the hook they used to get control over people.

<aside>

What is with Muslims praying 5 times a day.

Are they so shallow in their religion?

Or is it brainwashing, on a massive scale?

</aside?

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sometimes your cornball comedy routine takes an ugly turn.

I'd work on that one a little bit more before taking it on the road.

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

You have to admit that it's hard to wrap your head around the idea of not existing anymore. Some people just can't deal with that. They're too narcissistic.