Fears of Sending Ipod Touch in for Repair with Apple!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ian007, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Ian007 macrumors newbie

Just recently, I was preparing lunch when I knocked my ipod touch off a top counter and into a bowl of soup. I have been checking online to see if my water indicator was actually activated or not (I think it hasn't because the pink stripe and the white tab are not bled together or anything), and my ipod still works except for a few minor issues!!

-The Voice Control keeps activating and popping up for no reason.
    -The backlight makes everything look whitewashed despite the brightness settings.
    -The speakers won't work without headphones plugged in.
    - The screen sometimes flickers subtly when I type on the keyboard.
    - The mic setting won't work (I have a third generation ipod)

So, I was thinking about sending my ipod into apple, but I'm afraid that they won't repair it because the strip might be indicated (again, I'm not sure)? Also, do they charge for the repair or the replacement? I am under the year-long warranty because I purchased my ipod only 4 months ago.

PLEASE inform me on the mailing-in process or the tech spec thing! I'm so confused!

2. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

3. Ian007 thread starter macrumors newbie

but can't you still explain the process anyway?

4. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Just bring it to the Apple store and see what they say. Can't hurt to ask.

5. nickmybabe macrumors newbie

totally agree, and if there's nothing noticeable about your ipod been dropped into the soup, just tell them those issues... I think they'll just get you another for replacement.

6. DCEMaine macrumors newbie

mucho buckos

On my iPod touch I have a slight issue with the standby switch not sticking up as it used to, making it hard to push. I asked about a fix for this at the Apple Store, and they said..... $150.. um... Apparently they just replace the unit, since according to them it is not possible to open it up. Can't see how that is true, but that's what they say. This is similar to a friend of mine's problem with the headphone jack on his Macbook. They said he'd need to replace the motherboard because it was integrated.
    They seem to have developed methods for getting you by the b@11s no matter what.

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Well if there is a pink strip in the headphone jack the sensor is activated. The dot should be completely white.

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

If the iPod's headphone jackshows pink or even a little pink, then it has been liquid damaged. If it is white, it I fine. They don't bleed together. It's either completely white or white/pink. Oh, and DCEMaine, the headphone jack is integrated. The genius doesn't know how to use a soldering iron, so they must replace the entire logic board.

9. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

Welcome to the genius bar!!! How can i help you ? Well i dropped my ipod touch in some soup and some things aren't working. Genius says "Im sorry apple doesn't cover accidental damage under the warranty."

So basically use it as is, sell it as is, or repair on your own dime.