Feasibility of Incorporating iSight Camera into Monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by southerndoc, May 17, 2008.

1. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I've seen several references to this, but what is the feasibility of actually doing this? Would it be expensive? Would we suffer by a significantly reduced resolution?

It would be incredibly nice to have the iSight built into the monitor so you can actually have eye-to-eye conversations during videochats.

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Or you know, you could just do that crazy thing called clipping it on top of the monitor.

3. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Right, which is what is currently available, and doesn't allow true eye-to-eye contact during conversations. If you look at the other person's face on the screen, then that person doesn't see you looking at them. You must look at the camera to appear to look at the person's face.

Again, how feasible is it to place the camera within the monitor? I know Apple filed a patent for this very technology about 4 years ago, but I have yet to see it implemented. Their patent makes one think it would negatively impact screen resolution. Would it be visibly noticeable that a camera is behind the screen?

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

At the moment, while the concept is good, the feasibility of this is nil, seeing as doing this requires very advance technology at a very very small level, not to mention how hard it would be to mass produce, and don't even get me started on price here. Essentially, you're looking at something coming out in a while, if ever... the pixels on the screen are very small and putting cameras between them is not possible at this time, and seeing as resolutions will just keep getting higher, it doesn't seem to be something to be had for a long long time.