Feasible continuous LTE battery life estimate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apb89, Sep 17, 2012.

1. apb89 macrumors regular

Apple stated their 3g and LTE battery life at both 8 hours. As most of you all know.. LTE Android devices are notorious for having terrible LTE battery life. Is that new (dual) antenna that much better than what is going into those Android devices? Is LTE going to be the 'standard' for the new iPhone (as in LTE will be on continuously)? I just really cannot see it being feasible, based on what I see with these Android phones..

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

The real issue with Android LTE isn't battery life per se.

It's the OS and poorly written apps.

My Verizon Galaxy Nexus LTE phone drained within 3 hours of continuous LTE streaming Netflix (I have unlimited data). That's because of all the apps I had installed. (like whatsapp, where's my droid etc). Where's my droid is a major battery drainer.

When I just ran stock withouth any apps (just pre installed apps). I managed 5 hours of LTE battery life.

So I made my battery life 70-80% better. It's those rogue apps that caused the battery drain.

Now something like the Nokia Lumia 900 LTE (ATT version). Windows Phone OS does a lot better job handling apps and their battery drainage. I manged a good 6.5 hours of continuous Netflix streaming. I did the test near the end of the month so I wouldn't be hit with throttling by ATT.

3. apb89 thread starter macrumors regular

I see, thank you very much for this information; I have high hopes that iOS is on par (or ever better) than Windows Phone OS

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Also, with most other LTE phones, there are two cellular radios. One for voice, one for LTE. The plus side of this is that you can do simultaneous data and voice. The downside is both have to stay on together, and that uses a ton of battery. With the iPhone 5, there's only one radio, so it switches between LTE and voice. That's why you can't use LTE while talking on the phone. But the battery life is much better.