Features you want included for you to upgrade (iPhone "5")

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachnelson, Sep 3, 2012.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

What are the features that need to be included in this refresh for you to upgrade...

Mine are:
    • LTE - Self explanatory, if this device doesn't have 4G LTE, no way I'm upgrading.
    • NFC - Without giving head to rumors, I'd really like to see NFC in this device. It's pretty unacceptable if such technology isn't present with android competitors having it for a year+.
    • Decent Battery Life - Confident on this one, Apple usually has their stuff together with this.
    • Non-Ugly Design - Two tone design? The black looks okay but the silver on semi-off white looks horrible!

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

3. irDigital0l Guest

Instead of listing what I would want, going to list what I'm expecting

1. 4G LTE
    2. Larger screen
    3. Thinner and lighter
    4. FaceTime HD camera
    5. Better battery life
    6. Better processor
    7. 1GB of RAM
    8. Enhanced Airplay, Bluetooth 4.0

Now things that probably wont happen/don't care.
    1. NFC
    2. 3D photography feature
    3. Wireless charging

4. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

You use your phone to pay stuff. Kinda like a virtual credit card.

I think NFC is good...but I wont see myself using it. So I wont really give a flying monkey if its on the iPhone or not.

However 4G LTE is very important...if its not in there.....I wont upgrade

5. ARSC macrumors 6502

Right now i want a bigger display and a good battery life.

6. SR71 macrumors 68000

Exact same things that I'm expecting. And people say this isn't worth upgrading to. 4G LTE is reason alone to upgrade. Got to taste those speeds on my HTC Thunderbolt (worse friggin phone in the world, 3 hour battery life) and it made browsing the web on a mobile device SO much faster. It was incredible, to be quite honest with you.

7. Purant macrumors 6502

Haptic Feedback.

Or a home button that works for more than 2 years.

8. Siggen, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

Siggen macrumors 6502

looks like the home button part is totally revised internally...
    I guess you will need to wait two years to see

9. Tom8, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012

Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Want:
    Better battery life
    A6 (Dual core A15)
    1GB RAM
    NFC payments
    Updated camera - 10 MP
    Thinner
    New design

Expect:
    4" display
    A6 (Die shrink A5, possibly quad core)
    1GB RAM
    New design
    Thinner & lighter
    Updated camera sensor but probably same MP
    4G/LTE
    A couple of exclusive software features, AirPlay Direct per rumours, maybe something to do with face recognition, that's just a guess.

Things I don't really care about:
    4G/LTE - live in UK so see no benefit.

I'm ambivalent to a 4" screen, I like the present size, but I'm not opposed to the idea of it getting a bit bigger

10. Siggen macrumors 6502

What I want:
    *An exploitable bug that lets hackers release a jailbreak within 1 week

What I expect:
    *An exploitable bug that lets hackers release a jailbreak within 2 months
    *me reactivating my developer account to run unsigned code before my phone is jailbroken.

AAAND if you are arguing about the two months and previous jailbreaks taken longer, It needs to be said that the iPhone is the most popular platform, which therefor gets jailbroken faster than other iOS platforms historically, every time.

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Better battery life should always be the top. What use is all the extra features if you can't enjoy the new features for a reasonable time.

12. coops108 macrumors newbie

coops108

iphone 4s already has Bluetooth 4.0.

I would like:

Larger screen- but keeping the same phone size(but happy with a slightly larger phone)
    LTE/4G- Also be able to use it in Australia(1800mhz)
    NFC- will be handy, but will take a while to really take off.
    A6+1gb- would be nice but so long as the battery doesnt reduce because of it
    IGZO screen- improves the battery life
    Facetime HD- oh god the front camera sucks for skyping
    New Design- not fussed if its thinner(would rather same size if it means better battery)

The thing i want most and always having is a signifactly improvement in THE BATTERY. I go probably about half a day and i need to charge again. I do general surfing the web and emails in the mornign and maybe a short game here or there and just after lunch i need to charge or else i will be dead by dinner time.

13. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It's up to the manufacture to add AirPrint compatibility. Has nothing to do with Apple outside of them licensing AirPlay which I'm sure they would be happy to do should manufactures want to add the functionality.

14. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

This.

15. yegon macrumors 68020

Definitely this. Itching to get a new iPhone, but I'll really miss Zephyr, Switchy, Activator and Fullscreen Safari. Not a heavy tweaker, but these four make the iPhone an immeasurably better device imo.

16. kokhean macrumors regular

I don't really care about other features, tbh. The only thing that I want is better battery life. People talk about removable batteries like it's nice to constantly swap out one battery for another. I know that it's possible to modify the iPhone 4 for a bigger battery, but increasing the capacity is akin to making the trash can larger if it is full.

17. Purant macrumors 6502

At least the fact that it's being revised, means that they realized that these things break more often or easily than they should.

18. iDannyxD macrumors member

WANT :

4" Retina Display
    Thinner,lighter and two tone design (Glass and Aluminium)
    12mp iSight Camera with ground breaking optics
    HD Face time Camera
    A6 Quad Core Processor
    NFC
    New Dock Design
    3.5mm Headphone Jack on top

Well, a boy can dream...

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Honestly, all I really would like to see is a better camera and a much better battery. LTE is shotty where I live. NFC doesn't concern me. I would not mind a larger screen, but I don't care for the way it's rumored to be implemented (I usually am in landscape so I wouldn't be gaining any real estate vertically).

If there is a cool wow feature that may tip me into buying right away, but I really just want an insane battery and some camera improvements. Otherwise there is not much reason for me to upgrade until a little later down the line.

20. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Why would you want the headphone jack on top? i've seen a couple people say this, but it makes so much more sense, in my opinion, to have it on the bottom of the device. That way when you put it in your pocket in a natural way, that's to say, top to bottom, the wire isn't shortened or twisted.

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Mine is 90% of the time in my suit jacket pocket, so for me it's better for the jack to be on top.

Anyway, all the iP5 needs to make me upgrade is a larger screen. Anything else is just a bonus.

22. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Didn't think of it that way. That's a valid point.

23. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

HUH? Apple promoted this feature big time and what we got in the 1st month was 2, maybe three printers that you could use. That's not what they initial said. They told us that you will be able to print to any printer. Any doesn't equal 3. Now remember, if you are familiar with Apple? Their computers come with drivers for printers or your Mac can locate the "updated" driver on the web. If Apple is able to do all that then they can do that with the drivers for their iOS devices. A lot of the major manufactures (HP, Canon, etc) have drivers inside their printers that you can use this print feature.

This whole thing reminds me of when you could send SMS text from your Mac through your mobile phone. Some Verizon phones you couldn't do it because the feature was turned off. But the same phone on AT&T you can do it.

Apple has a lot to do with it. Sorry but they do. Right now I can print from my Macbook to my Canon Printer. But I can't print from my iOs device to the same printer. smh. #badapple

Oh to add ... Siri out of Beta Mode :)

24. party macrumors member

But I do see Canon's (and a lot of other brands) printers being labelled as AirPrint functional. If I ever had to buy a printer, I would buy those with AirPrint enabled on it.