Feb 2009 Macbook Pro Unibody - 184 Cycles "Service Battery" - is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iFanboy, Aug 20, 2011.

1. iFanboy Guest

As per title, I bought my Macbook Pro Unibody in 2009. The battery has 184 Cycles.

Since upgrading to Lion the battery now shows "service battery" and the computer shuts off approaching 20% battery remaining.

I thought it was a Lion issue, but I can't see how it can be?

My question is, is this a normal amount of time to have to replace a battery? Should I be annoyed and contact apple?

Many thanks! :)

2. johnhw macrumors 6502

Looks like hardware issue.. whelp I'm guessing you're gonna shell out $150+ bucks for a new battery. (Well, since it's a removable I think it should be a bit cheaper)

3. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Hopefully you have Applecare. If so call Apple (or take it into an Apple store) and they will replace it for you.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not a hardware issue, it's battery age + usage at play here. Even if you never use your battery, the simple fact that it ages will slowly reduce capacity, add some charge cycles to the mix and you have a battery that needs replacing 3-4 years down the road.

5. iFanboy thread starter Guest

I don't have applecare unfortunately. I guess I'll just fork out for a new battery? :(

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

No, it's not normal, computer should not shut off at 20% whatever condition of battery is, nor should it have deteriotated that fast with that many cycles. Contact apple, you may be lucky. I've known of people with such happening having batteries replaced out of warranty, as it's not performing to spec. But you're at the mercy of whom you speak to pretty much.

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

You can extend the life of the battery by conditioning about every two years. My 2009 MacBook Pro has a cycle count of 400 and is functioning perfectly.

iFanboy before you go buy a new battery try resetting the SMC and PRAM first. It may appear to be a dieing battery but it may also be software related. When I switched to Lion I noticed that the battery life was not getting 7 hours, once I reset SMC and recalibrated the battery, the battery is getting the same life as it did when I was running Snow Leopard. Take a look at Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance.

8. Failurbydesign macrumors regular

Failurbydesign

Mine started with the error at like 175..i now have 254...ill assume it's a bad battery and just buy one online!! Bummer...