Fed up of my crappy new PC, gonna get an iMac but have a Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HighTime, Sep 20, 2014.

1. HighTime, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

HighTime macrumors member

Hello all,

I've always been a Mac fan, love everything about them, used to have a Mac Cube back in the day. Anyway, I had to get a PC due to certain non-English language software not being available on the Mac at all. I bought a Dell XPS 8700 about ten months ago, it was expensive at about £900, and all it has done is freeze every second or third day, I can't take it anymore. I remember that old Mac I had running so bloody smoothly it was a delight.

So I've made up my mind to get an iMac, I'll wait until the new ones come out whenever that is, hopefully later this year, but I'm gonna get one if you guys can answer the following question please: since there are some infrequent times when I will still need to use the PC, will it be possible for me to connect my PC to the iMac somehow so that when I need it I can just press a button or flick a switch and it will work as a monitor for the PC?

Please say this is possible.

Thank you.

2. RCAFBrat, Sep 20, 2014

RCAFBrat macrumors 6502

The iMac now only supports Mac-to-Mac target display mode via Thunderbolt so you are out of luck using the iMac as a monitor for your Dell; the following article explains the current state of affairs:

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/ins-outs-imacs-target-display-mode/

That being said, why not run the needed program(s) in Windows on your iMac? You can choose between dual boot (ie use Bootcamp to install Windows on your iMac and boot using either the OSX or Windows partition), and running Windows in a virtual machine using Parallels or the like.

Unless there is something hardware wise that you need your PC for, this is probably your best bet.

Cheers

3. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Hello RCAFBrat, thanks for your speedy response.

That's quite unfortunate since I had read about Thunderbolt but was hoping there would be some kind of converter or whatever that I could've hooked up between the PC and the Mac to be able to use them both.

I had totally forgotten about running Windows on the Mac, this does sound like a very good option since it is literally now just one piece of software which I use infrequently that does not work on a Mac.

I remember doing that back in the day but it seemed quite slow, what is running Windows on Mac like now in terms of speed?

4. Kyle-K, Sep 20, 2014

Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

And if virtualisation is chosen he can even convert his current setup to a virtual machine.

Not too sure if you can add the thunderbolt functionality you want to a PC afterwards.

It is and it will work well, it sounds like in your situation it's going to be suitable and a very good option.

Given everything you mentioned in your original post I'm guessing you did this last in the PowerPC days, So let's just say it's improved about 1000%.

5. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it was back in the days of the Cube. If it's improved 100% then the iMac is clearly the solution to my PC woes.

RCAFCrat mentioned:
    Which of these two options would be faster? Having said that, I almost feel as though I wouldn't want to taint the iMac by putting Windows on it, but I have no choice.

Thank you for your replies.

----------

Thank you for that.

6. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Its most likely definitely going to be your answer.

That's going to be Apple's Boot Camp. Given everything you have said you will most likely benefit most from virtualisation as the app doesn't sound like it's that intensive.

Boot Camp requires you to restart the machine when you want to run Windows. Virtualisation let's windows run side-by-side with OS X in a window or fullscreen.

If you choose Boot Camp, The two major virtualisation programs on the market VMware and Parallels will also allow you to use that partition to run it virtually essentially you get access to both methods. As I mentioned above you can also migrate your current set up and turn your current installation into a virtualise machine on your Mac.

You and many others.

7. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

It's an extremely light app, basically a database of books which enables you to search through text files.

Ok, both Bootcamp and the vitual method are clear to me now and I've just been reading up on them on some websites, but I don't get what you meant when you said:

?

8. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Sounds like a perfect use case.

So if you choose VMware OR Parallels, they will have an application that can install on your Windows PC that will transfer everything exactly as it is now on your PC to your Mac as a virtual machine which then you can run on your Mac.

9. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Aha, brilliant.

Many thanks for your help.

10. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

You're more than welcome. Bump this thread If you have any questions when you get the Mac and I should get an email notification and should be able to respond.

11. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Excellent, will do.

12. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Just some additional thoughts, Personally I'm in the camp that believes we will not see new iMac's this year.

I much prefer VMware over Parallels and I would purchase at least 16 GB of RAM by getting an upgrade kit from a third party like OWC if you order a 27 inch iMac the 21.5 you can't upgrade the RAM Easily yourself.

13. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Hmm interesting, I'm ok to wait even if it's into next year since if I buy an iMac I'd rather just get the latest one instead of buying it and then seeing the new one come out three months later.

I was looking into it more and the thing that seems like it could be a headache is the lack of Arabic language support in Microsoft Word for Mac. That is something I will have to research since I need to use Arabic in Word desperately. I wouldn't want to use Microsoft Word in virtual PC Mode on the Mac since that would defeat the purpose of getting the Mac since I'd need to use Word everyday.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In Word 2011 for OS X, Arabic is available under Tools → Language.

15. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

As stated earlier bootcamp is an excellent option. On my Mac, I use a SeaGate STAE121 SATA adaptor. I use a Samsung 512GB 840 Pro on it. I put Windows 8.1 on this external SSD, hook it up through the thunderbolt cable, and boot in to it just as fast as an internal SSD. It is a prett cool setup I can move the windows SSD from one Mac to another if need be.

16. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I was just reading this thread here. Maybe things have changed since then?

----------

I like this idea a lot, cause it makes you feel as though the Mac is untainted since Windows hasn't been installed on to it directly.

17. snorkelman, Sep 20, 2014

snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

edit hmm not sure if you'll have proper Arabic support under word 2011

18. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

This could be a problem. But at this stage, I'm so frustrated with this Dell I'm wiling to work around it and still go for the iMac.

19. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

So I've just been looking at sites talking about Parallels 10 and watched some videos on it too, it seems quite amazing. That would solve the Arabic issue in Word too, since to be honest, I really need the Arabic on a daily basis and, according to what I've been able to research so far, Microsoft Word for Mac has whack Arabic support.

Using Parallels seems to be quite fast too. Absolutely all I would be using on it would be Microsoft Word and another really light book database that consists of text files only, i.e., nothing intensive like games at all, everything else would be native Mac stuff, so I think Parallels shouldn't run too slow.

Things seem to have changed a lot since the goold ole' days when I had one of these.

I should have thought about getting an iMac before I spent that money on a Dell, you live and you learn I guess.

----------

So I'm jut getting more familiar with these two pieces of software, I have an idea about Parallels now, next is some research on VMware. I'm interested to know why you prefer VMware over Parallels?

Thank you.

20. cypriot macrumors regular

Hello. I am a long time mac user and I were thinking to buy a xps 8700 in replacement of a mac because my budget is limited this time.

What are the specs of your dell? What were the cases you experienced? These might change my mind. Thank you.

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'm also more partial to VMware, because it offers more corporate/enterprise-oriented features, such as full VM encryption with self-destruct capabilities. And it's cheaper too.

22. HighTime thread starter macrumors member

In all honesty, putting aside that in general PC's can't touch Macs in my opinion, the XPS 8700 I have would've been fine if it didn't stop freezing every second or third day. This is quite a common problem, if you Google: Dell XPS 8700 freezing, you'll see quite a few people have had the same problem.

My Dell is an Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40 GHz, it has 4 cores and 8 threads.
    RAM: 16 GB
    Hard-drive: 2 TB, not SSD.

So it is fast and like I said would be fine if it didn't keep freezing. Online I've read that other people have had no problems but quite a few have as well, so I guess it depends whether you get a lemon or not.

23. cypriot macrumors regular

I am dreaded. It reminded me the black days of my hp laptop. Thanks for sharing i guess i will stay away from dell desktops.

24. HighTime, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

HighTime thread starter macrumors member

I've been trying to solve this problem where the PC freezes for some time now with no luck, I've been trying to resolve the issue with help from the Dell forum, here is the latest message I just put up there a few minutes ago, just look at all the red crosses in that image of my machine and you will see how regularly this expensive piece of dung keeps freezing, just now I had to force it to shut down three times cause it froze.

Oh man, that is it. Me and PC's are done, this crap is just too much. Just gonna wait a month or two to see if any new model iMacs are coming out and then that's it.

25. cypriot macrumors regular

I was waiting for a mac mini and i lost hope and almost bought this: http://www.stephanis.com.cy/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=6244&tt=graphic&lang=l2&p_id=320064 until i saw your post.