Federal Appeals Court Upholds Earlier Utah Gay Marriage Decision

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jun 25, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Another major leap for same sex marriage. Appeals court rulings will now start flooding in, and if they all uphold the district court rulings, the Supreme Court may never bother ruling on it themselves.

Link

EDIT:
    And in the meantime, Indiana's ban on SSM has been declared unconstitutional by a district judge. Two rulings in one day, and one of them was an Appeal's Court. Gay marriages will begin immediately in Indiana.

2. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I guess it's such common news that no one cares anymore! Kind of like weekly shootings, except much more positive.

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

This issue is going to go to SCOTUS.

And I suspect they will toss it back to the states with a super narrow ruling that is very specific.

4. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Depends on the wording of the lawsuit. If they're directly ruling on whether state gay marriage bans are unconstitutional, there's really no way to toss it back to the states. Their last chance to toss it back to the states was last year, and they did. I think this time they will actually have to take the bull by the horns. No more beating around the bush with this issue. We currently have a patchwork quilt of marriage laws in this country, and it's unacceptable. Two people who are legally married in one state can go on a nature hike, cross a border into another state inadvertently and all of a sudden legally become strangers. They might, however, wait for all the appeals court rulings to come in and decide at that point whether they will even take the cases up. If all the appeals courts come to the same conclusion, they might decide there is no reason for them to intervene.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Anthony Kennedy is the most powerful person in the country.

6. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

He certainly is, and thankfully he thinks the gays are FABBULLLOUUUSSSSS!!

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This. I don't think SCOTUS is going to weigh in on the merits of each case. If anything, appeals to SCOTUS would only be for any legal technicality that may exist (e.g., legal standing, such as they had with Prop. 8). Other than that, I think SCOTUS would be more than likely to steer clear of each case, leaving the 9th, 10th, and 14th Amendments to apply.

BL.