Federal court in Phila. weighs ‘teen sexting’ case

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Jan 15, 2010.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

LINK

It will be interesting to see how this plays out from a legal perspective.

2. Mrtrick macrumors newbie

Sexting and Law

Personally I think the law should be amended to include new definitions for what is sexting and what is permissible by law. So far I've heard of 13-17 year olds all around the US getting slapped with jail time and sex offender status, and to me that's not entirely fair.

Honestly, nudy pics between dating people or even two people interested in each other sexually is one thing, but it's when someone knowingly or unknowingly maliciously distributes these pictures to a wider group of people to view the pictures, is when problems arise.

Let's face it, who doesn't like sex or even sexually provocative media? As my friend puts it, "they're either lying or dying," if people don't enjoy those things in life.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Interesting case from a legal perspective, but I'd have just written the essay and taken the class rather than risk being prosecuted.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I agree. Based on the article, it seems like DA was just trying to scare them straight than hell bent on prosecuting. Without a threat of punishment, it is harder to make kids refrain from going through with an initially exciting or funny sounding idea, but harmful or dangerous in the long term. Of course, exposed breasts is a big deal in the US, but probably would not be so in Europe where topless sunbathing is fairly commonplace.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts. Frankly, if it was my daughter involved in this I would have made her go to the after-school course and write the essay.