Federal Court Refuses To Block N.C. Voter ID Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by EvilQueen, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

2. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Here it comes.....

Ok, tell me, how is requiring an ID suppressing voters?

3. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

:rolleyes:

Your stance is that this law will bring more voters to the polls in NC?

4. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't care how many voters show up. If they want to vote, they can. No one is stopping them from voting. Just as no one is stopping anyone from driving...you just have to have a drivers license.

I just don't get why having an ID is such a burden. Democrats seem to think their voter base is just too ignorant to figure out how to get a state ID. Why would someone vote for a party that thinks they are that stupid?

Or maybe democrats just need the votes from voter fraud and from those that are illegally in this country.

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

This law is a move by the Republicans too whittle away at the numbers of college students, women, elderly and blacks that make up a significant block of the Democratic base. If you can't understand that or agree that's why it was done, then you should be royally pissed that your Republican brethren wasted so much political time and capital getting this law as far as it's gotten. It's a vote grab. Plain and simple.

Voter fraud? Jeez. At least realize what this is all about and be honest about it.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It's amazing that you need ID to buy a can of beer but not to vote. I think our priorities are a bit screwed up.

7. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Why is it so hard for blacks, college students and old people to get an ID?

If you can't understand that or agree with the fact that it's pretty damn easy to get an ID then you must also think those people are lazy and stupid.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. According to some Dems/Liberals, I should have to provide ID to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. But when I ask for an ID to vote, I'm a racist, I want to suppress the vote, etc.

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Make ID's free to every citizen in every state and every country, and hand delivered to the disable and I'll agree.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Guess what, we do that in Georgia. You can get a State Voter ID for free at any DDS (think DMV) and at any of the 159 County Registrars offices. DDS is open Tue - Sat, while the registrar is open Mon - Fri. We don't require a Voter ID if you are voting absentee, since the ballot is mailed to your address.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Very good of Georgia to do that, we need that in every single state, and we need hand delivered ID and ballots to shut ins and disabled people,

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Why do we need hand delivered ID and ballots to shut ins? We don't require an ID for voting by mail. The mailman will deliver the ballot to their home. So it already is in place.

13. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

It's not hard. It's time consuming. You have to be well informed. Many need extra help with access. Time, information and access are not easy to come by for those considered on the fringe of mainstream society.

The law also drops same day registration and a full week of early voting. What other purpose can that serve other than limiting turnout? You said earlier you didn't care how many people voted. Why is that? Shouldn't you want more Amercians voting?

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The issue with college students isn't so much getting ID. Ever met a college student that didn't have at least one? The problem with college students is that they have to vote in their home district, not where they are attending school. This matters for all local and district offices. Military and College Students just need to plan ahead and request an absentee ballot.

As for the elderly? Really no ID? I'm not buying it. At least not in my state. You can't pick up certain kinds of prescriptions without showing ID. Heck, you can't buy certain kinds of over-the-counter allergy meds without showing ID. You can't order a drink and you can't buy cigarettes without showing ID. You can't check into a hotel and you can't enter a federal building without ID. You can't cash a check and many places won't take a credit card without checking ID.

15. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Because if you are forced to show ID, then you can only vote once in the election.

You need ID to rent a movie at Blockbuster, but somehow it’s a invasive to require ID to vote in an election. And we wonder why this country is headed down the crapper.

16. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

So these people aren't informed enough to get an I.D but they're informed enough to vote?

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh good...maybe next we can go back to that wonderful world where only property owners can vote.

18. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

You expect every 18 yr old freshmen college kid to know the voting laws of their new area less than 2 months after they got there? That lack of info has no effect on where they stand on issues which they've formed strong opinions.

Again, why do we want less voters? Why push to enact stricter voting laws clearly designed to limit your opposition? If you can't beat 'em, silence them. Patriots my ass.

19. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The alternative it the liberal Chicago model: vote early, vote often.

20. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

These laws are strategically designed to keep certain Democratic voters from being able to vote. The Republicans have carefully studied the voting patterns of these certain groups, and have done things such as make certain ID's not valid, cut early voting by days as well as shorter hours each day.

There are several recorded instances in which we have Republicans admitting that these laws are designed to suppress the democratic vote.

Here's one.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/pennsylvania-gop-leader-voter-id-will-help-romney-win-state

Voter fraud is non existent. Voter's presenting ID was never an issue until the GOP realized they could benefit from changing these laws. A recent comprehensive study found 31 credible incidents of voter fraud out of a billion votes cast.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...le-incidents-out-of-one-billion-ballots-cast/

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Voter fraud is rare enough that it shouldn't require I.D. You go to your designated voting place, give out some info to the voting clerk, then sign next to you name on the sheet and vote. The voting clerks are mostly volunteers and up there in age.

Being that said. If someone wanted to commit voter fraud, they would have to know some of your info and designated place to vote. What's to stop anyone that knows your info from getting a false I.D? You think some 75 year old volunteer clerk will spot a decent fake I.D or even give it much attention like some club bouncer would?

Also once a signature is signed next to your name, that's it. Yourself or anyone else can't vote under your name(info) again. This is why there has never been a large outbreak of voter fraud, cause it would get recognized and investigated to easily once a number of actual people see a signature already next to their name.

Most voter fraud is absentee/mail ballots anyways and that's still rare. So the reason for wanting I.D verification at voting booths would be for anything but fraud.

Will they also implement extensive training of spotting false I.Ds? Will they create a system that will not hold up long lines, cause even 30 extra seconds per person will create a 50 min longer wait for every 100 voters. Then you have to worry about the possibility of some voting places questioning I.Ds disproportionately towards certain groups.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Right, in the two Presidential elections since Voter ID was passed in Georgia more minorities have voted in each subsequent election. You can't convince me that black people can't figure out how to get a free Voter ID. I'm not going to buy it. You register to vote coincidentally at the same place that you get the Voter ID... How convenient.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So let me get this straight ....... In Georgia you can open carry and authorities are not allowed to request any I.D or permit unless there is a legit reason or suspicion, but they want voters to be expected to show I.D without any reason or suspicion whatsoever. Hypocrisy at it's finest. :rolleyes:

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You should have to show an ID to vote. Nothing else makes sense.