Federal Court Rejects Texas Voter ID Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Subject says it all. Hopefully, the Courts follow suit for Pennsylvania.

Source

BL.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Not exactly sure how I feel about the voting implication, especially with the low incidence and felony penalties. However I think there should be mandatory IDs for everyone including nonvoters. It would solve so many problems. Maybe even national IDs? States shouldn't be able to do it. Could be constitutional...call it a requirement for the census?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree, but not just before a presidential election. I say bring up the bill on the first day of the next Congress.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The day mandatory national I.D. Is required is the day I move out of the U.S.

And please don't play off the nuances of " National I.D."

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't move to mexico or canada, they both require ID to vote.

6. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Will the national ID be free?

Republicans will be the first ones screaming about death panels and satellite tracking your national ID and whatever other tin foil hat conspiracy theory they can attach to it.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Remember the CATO Institute ZA? They're a libertarian think tank, and here's their opinion about national IDs [source] ...

Cool. Now you're in bed with Diane Feinstein. How cozy.

So much for "small government". And this paper was written in 1995. You could probably double or triple that figure now.

Or the phantom "voter fraud".

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What problems would it solve? Anything can be counterfeited eventually.

9. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's amazing to me that the US continues to allow anyone to vote simply by showing up at a polling place with something like a utility bill with their name and address and registering same day.

I have to prove who I am to fly on an airplane, or pick up a package at the Post Office, but not to elect the President.

What a bassakwards country.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

that depends on the state. Texas requires you to register 30 days before an election. I am sitting on moving my registration to where I live now because 1 where I used to live it is a competitive so my vote will matter and 2 I do not trust the state not to screw up moving everything over this close to an election because they screwed it up in 2008.

11. Huntn, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Now they just have to take care of the bully boys at , the Texas based voter organization that tries to intimidate voters at the polls. I still don't understand why they are allowed anywhere near polling places. Because they started in Texas? ;)

Voter fraud by end users (voters) is a red herring foisted on the public by a group of people who want to minimize a certain leaning demographic from voting. Real patriotic and democratic, right? ;)

The main opportunities for voter fraud exist within the system, those managing and monitoring vote collection. The idea of having a photo ID is something new for the very reason of making it harder to vote. You used to be able to take your voter registration card or your gas bill for that matter to the polling place where your name is checked off against a master roster. How much opportunity is there for a band of people roaming from polling place to polling place pretending to be other people? Think! :)

I ALWAYS absentee vote. Most of the time I am traveling and it is more convenient.