Federal Election today.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chundles, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Votes are being cast across the country today to decide which party gets into power down here in Australia. The leader of that party become the Australian Prime Minister.

Basically our choices are Little Johnny Howard or Little Johnny Howard minus 20 years.

Results coming in as the polls close across the nation at 6pm (about 10 minutes ago) - should have a result later tonight.

Personally I voted for the member of the Liberal (read: conservative) Party because he lost an eye in an accident with some pool chlorine and was sporting an eye patch. So I voted for the pirate. Then, when I was driving up here on Friday I found he's got a fake eye and isn't a pirate anymore. Bastard!

EDIT: Looks like our PM has actually been voted out of his seat. He can't be PM if he doesn't have a seat.

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Just watching John Howard conceding.

So his party lost and he lost his seat, bad day all round then.

3. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep and now we have a grinning twerpy media sl*t for a pm to replace an old geezer.

4. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Just watching his speech now, and was think to myself how much the guy grins while talking. pretty impressive how he can talk and grin like a cheshire cat at the same time.

Still after what happened in the Ashes, Australia deserves everything it gets!!!

Hey he's sucking up to the USA already...

5. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

This is such an amateurish acceptance speech. Sounds like something from a 21st birthday party. Long, tedious and packed full of half-rate soundbytes. And yes he grins like a Cheshire cat no matter what's happening. He needs to shut up and shut up now. Little Johnny was no Churchill or even a Blair but this new bloke is just throwing out hyperbole and platitudes like they're going out of fashion.

6. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

is he the one who got so drunk he claimed he couldn't remember going to a strip club in New York a few years back?

7. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

That's the one. It's probably a big reason why we voted him in, nothing endears people more to the collective Australian heart like drunken escapades - we're not like the US, we like our pollies to be flawed.

Well, much as I despise the little twerp (don't get me wrong, LJH is not my favourite person either) he has won so now he'd better not flush us down the toilet.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Hopefully he'll bring a halt to the rising interest rates we've been having for the last 10 years ;)

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just back from my election parties and I can't believe the smack down the Liberals got. They got absolutely slaughtered. No sympathy for howard at all, it all caught up with him at once. Losing his seat was the icing on the cake.

I'm not going to be cynical just yet and am actually waiting to see what the future brings. Labor owe a lot to the greens for their preferences so it will be interesting to see how much weight they give that in their policies. Unfortunately with the ever rightward-shifting lowest-common-denominator nature of politics it'll be interesting to see how labor play. Hopefully we'll see some winding back of the use of the race card, and just a touch less emphasis on economy and more on people. Time will tell.

10. toontra macrumors 6502

Reminds me of Tony Blair during his first few years as PM. He was actually teased by opposition MP's in the HOC for constantly grinning "like a Cheshire cat".

Are you sure this isn't Tony Blair in disguise. ;)

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I had heard on NPR that your new guy plans on signing the Kyoto agreement.

That's a step in the right direction, at least.

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I heard Rudd is going to Bali next week to put the pen to the paper :D

That'd make the US the only developed country not to have signed it, wouldn't it?

13. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

our economies in the best shape its ever been, paying off all Federal debt, lowest unemployment in 33 years and lower taxes... and now we just voted in a Labor government..

thats a step in the right direction.. :rolleyes:

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

And now Costello is down and out. The Libs have crashed and burned big time. Talk about going out in flames.

Failed liberal election scare campaign talking points detected.

15. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

No. Factual Information detected. Go look at the figures and facts, unemployment IS at the lowest its been in 33 years, federal debt HAS been PAID off, taxes ARE lower.. we were heading in the right direction.. lets hope Kevin07 doesnt turn into Recession08 and let us down.. fingers crossed

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Indeed they are the facts, but ascribing them purely to the Liberals policy is either politically motivated, purposefully misleading, or a complete misunderstanding. Our prosperous times are largely a combination of (in no particular order) Liberal policy and reform, previous Labor government policy and reform, and a massive slice of the international economy (see China's resource boom). The notion that political party of any persuasion is going to cause a recession within 12 months is shrill and pathetic and smacks of sour grapes. Luckily the majority of Australia saw through those desperate scare tactics at the election yesterday, and hence the Liberals are in tatters and need to do some serious rebuilding to even stand a chance in 2010.

There was a pretty easy to read article by Ross Gittins yesterday in the SMH you might have missed which addressed the outgoing Liberal governments half-truths when it comes to economics. The article addresses many of your colloquial misconceptions that tax cuts are good and debt always bad.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So are the Aussie liberals the same as the American liberals? Because I thought I remember John Howard supporting Dubya and the Iraq war, and that's not something that the liberals here normally do.

I hate hearing about liberals getting a smackdown, but if your liberals are our conservatives, I'm all for it :D

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Our Liberal party is economically liberal, and socially conservative. So they are more akin to the Republicans and hence the support and close ties between the parties. The incoming Labor government really isn't much different these days to the Liberals ideologically, having shifted increasingly to the right in the past decade. Time will tell if they govern differently now they've power though. They got into power yesterday largely due to voting preferences from our Greens party (socially liberal environmental party), so it will be interesting to see how that influences their policy (if at all).

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow, couldn't believe it when I heard it. Bush really is losing allies left and right. And somewhere, Ann Coulter's head is exploding.

(see, she claimed Howard's, and France's Sarkozy's, victory was proof of some kind of conservative revolution, so I wonder what she'll be saying now)

20. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm out of the country at the moment and have just heard all about the results. I'm disappointed, but not really all that surprised.

While I'm far from being a fan of John Howard's, he really wasn't that bad. He made a few stupid decisions but overall he was a good PM. Now we're stuck with Rudd who I think is just the most pathetic excuse for a PM. He's fake, over marketed with no real policies other than the ones he copied from the Liberals.

I'm very happy about the Greens getting a bit more control in the Senate - at the moment they're the only party that actaully present alternative policies.

Also very happy about Turnbull going for the leadership. He will win the next election - I'd put money on it. He's not the typical right-wing christian values type which many libs are. He's been pretty vocal about presenting a much more progressive approach where things like the environment and sexual equality are concerned.

As for little Johnny losing his seat, I kind of feel sorry for him in a way - quite an undignified way to go out after having served for so long. I do however love Maxine McKew, so seeing her in parliament will no doubt make up for that.

I think under this government interest rates will increase more quickly and we'll see lots of irresponsible spending, which Labour seem to excell at. I'll be very surprised if they stay in for a second term.

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Seeing as our 'socially liberal' Labor party has shifted right on most issues to regain votes Coulter's probably not too far off the mark. For most right-wingers in Australia (with the exception of the Liberal party loyal) I think the incoming govt isn't going to send the shivers up their spines they suspect. From all policy indications the pendulum is going to swing back towards centre but spend very little time, if any at all towards the left.

The first big test of the new government will be rolling back the industrial relations reforms that Howard introduced to strip union's and worker's powers and redistribute them to business. They ran on this platform so we'll have to see how they walk the walk. Full repeal or just tinker with it to make it more palatable?

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ours has too, but it's still not good enough for people like her. Nixon was more liberal than most of our modern day Dems, and most of them would be considered quite conservative by European standards. I suspect the fact that the new guy wants out of Iraq will be enough for people like her to be saying the terrorists have won or some other such nonsense. Might be a good thing for you though. If yours can be like ours and keep the conservative economic policies while leaning socially liberal, it might work out for the best.

I have a feeling cozying up to Bush and his policies hurt Howard more than he counted on, considering how well he was doing otherwise (unlike our conservatives who didn't have a lot of good to fall back on) and here's hoping your new guy learns from the good and the bad of his predecessor.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ahhh, OK. Thanks for explaining.

I guess it makes sense that in a country that drives on the wrong side of the road, their liberals would be on the wrong side of the political spectrum :p