Federal Govt Under Trump/Barr Resumes Executions after 2 Decades

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

We are, what we do, and under the Trump Administration, you can expect nothing less than marching backwards. :(
    Federal Government Set to Resume Executions
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/federal-government-set-to-resume-executions-11564066216

The federal government will resume executing death-row inmates after a 16-year hiatus, Attorney General William Barr said Thursday, countering a national trend that has seen capital punishment decline.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons scheduled the executions of five death-row inmates who were convicted of murder, undoing what essentially had been a moratorium on the federal death penalty during a Justice Department review of the drugs used to execute prisoners.

The move is a reflection of President Trump’s own support for the death penalty. Mr. Trump has long pushed the Justice Department to pursue capital punishment more often, including against drug dealers and in cases where police officers are slain.

2. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

This administration living outside of reality? Well, color me shocked.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You take a few steps forward in our society when it's deemed OK to kill a fetus up until the moment of birth, you take a few steps back when you try to put to death a serial rapist.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I am curious how they are going to go about it. Since several parts of the world is also against the death penalty, the places that were used to acquire the drugs for executions were not being sold to the United States. Which is what helped curbed the number of executions in the United States.

6. Huntn, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019

Huntn thread starter macrumors demi-god

Huntn

It did not stop some State from horribly torturing several convicts to death on the table with botched executions. It's good to know we are better than them (the convicts). :rolleyes::oops::(
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2019 ---
    That's an interesting point, who here is against abortion but for the death penalty? Anyone brave enough to admit it. :)

7. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

They're going to use Pentobarbital, the same drug they use on animals.

Let the appeals begin.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I’ll admit to having that stance. It does conflict me.

I find it interesting that you and others don’t bat an eye at the million aborted babies a year but will wail and gnash your teeth at the few dozen executions.

9. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Using pentobarbital is going to do wonders for our standing with another country we are friendly with.

10. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I like to go a little further back in the life cycle and try to find people who are against abortion and perfectly ok with their taxes going towards welfare checks for that fetus turned into full human. Crickets is the usual response.

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

You shouldn't really. Not all of us or everyone for that matter ascribe to the same belief you do about abortion. I know it's shocking, but it's true.

12. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

Saudi Arabia?

13. Crowbot, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019

Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Some people look at a fetus differently than they do a fully formed human being. It's a difference in world view. That's why I can accept a woman making a medical decision (with her doctor) and am against executions (by the State). Also, I feel that the woman's choice is paramount concerning her own body. That seems to me to be a basic human right.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just like not everyone agrees with your stance on executions.

15. LordVic macrumors 603

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I’ll admit to being less pro-execution than I have been in the past.

It is depressing that so many babies are aborted each year.

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

The original manufacturers were the ones who caused the shortage of it in the United States. They did so because the company's place of origin objected to the death penalty, and put pressure on the company to halt distribution & sales.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundbeck
    I would like to hope they would. It isn't a matter of religious philosophy for some, like abortion is.
    It's just a concern for a life that has lived, and maybe unfairly terminated because of fallible court systems, especially if you are a PoC.

It seems a bizarre recourse for some to justify executions, because of the existence of abortion.

18. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Sorry, I didn't mean to come on so strong (and edited the post after you saw it).

It is tragic about the number of abortions but people like Planned Parenthood are sincerely trying to reduce the number by counseling and providing birth control. But trying to ban them won't work and never did. And the whole "up to the moment of birth" business is medically dishonest.

19. Zenithal macrumors G3

Most unwanted children given up to adoption don't lead a happy life, I imagine. What good you hear generally tends to be rare. That said, I'm indifferent about criminal execution. I see it viable in some cases, not viable in others. I wouldn't want traitors or terrorists to be executed. I want them to live a life in solitary confinement, slowly drive them mental and reflect on what they did for the rest of their useless, piece of **** lives.

Though I've long held different opinions for years now of people like Assange or Snowden.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The difference between abortion is that it also involves the mother - nevermind the fact these backwards-thinking evangelical hypocrite states that want a teenager to carry her rapist's child to term.

Whereas the death penalty can and probably has many times before been wrongfully applied to someone convicted. Who knows how many innocent people have actually been executed, but lots of people have been proven innocent who were on death row.

21. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I believe that pro fetus people feel newborns are inherently good and good for the planet. I’d argue that society has created behavior guidelines, rules, regulations, laws, government, and higher power myths because soon after they are done being a fetus they inherently aren’t.

22. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

This is just to clear the decks and so there's some temporary space but also some precedent for not keeping political prisoners around for years on end during the Trumpian President for Life future. Waste of taxpayer dollars feeding bologna and cheese to treasonous dissidents when there are better things to spend it on like paving the road to some central Asian state's willingness to cut deals on precious minerals mining or whatever.

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Fetuses have not crossed a development threshold, so I put them in a different category and regard them differently. Historically they have never had personhood rights, and I am in agreement with that position along with the mother having dominion over her fetus. Maybe when they can remove a fetus voluntarily from the mother and give it to someone else to raise, then all of you who want to protect them can step forward to volunteer.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

25. raqball macrumors 68000

Good... Some people and their crimes are so heinous this is exactly what they deserve...

As far as the pro life comment goes, what heinous crime has the unborn baby committed to where you felt the need to include that statement in your post and relate them to being the same....