Federal Judge Declares Military's gay ban is unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by todd2000, Sep 9, 2010.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39089475/ns/us_news-life/

This is great news, but does a federal Judge in California even have any authority to issue an Injunction on DODT?

Will this actually change anything?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is definitely good news, but we'll have to wait and see what effect it really has.

3. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

We'll see as this goes up the judicial chain.

4. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

This is great but it's sad in 2010 that it takes a judge to rule something unconstitutional that shouldn't be in effect to begin with. I know older military people who served with other gay guys 50-60 years ago and they have no issue with it at all.

I will be so glad when people will be judged less on the gender of who they choose to love and more on their overall character. What can i say i'm idealistic :)

5. Queso macrumors G4

Another one here who simply can't understand why this is even an issue in the US military. The majority of NATO countries whose forces regularly serve alongside US servicemen have no restrictions on openly gay members in their own ranks, so it's utterly ridiculous for the US command to believe it would be an issue within their own force. Just tear down the policy and stop hounding talented gay people out of the services.

6. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I reckon it has something to do with the homoerotic things the officers say to recruits, they are worried a solider may like it :eek::eek::eek:

/joking post

But seriously the US Army is backwards regarding this.

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Well since Obama didn't do what he promised what other resort is there but the courts? Obama only needs gays when he is running for office, otherwise it appears he could care less.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're damn right about that.

9. jmor macrumors 6502

This is great, but it's 2010 it's sad it's taken this long.

10. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

This is more social engineering of the military by the liberals. Not as if we need to fight wars or anything. No let's just muck up the military because of feel-good liberalism!

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Every other army in the world seems to get by OK with homos in it. This is not "social engineering". That's just a BS term used by people like you to justify your prejudice. This is about equal treatment, nothing more.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Better add social engineering and liberalism to that growing list of things you know nothing about.

13. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

The same tired argument was used in 1948 when Truman ordered the US military to be desegregated. The response: "You can't mean those N****RS are going to be sleeping and eating with decent white people?!"

14. Queso macrumors G4

Don't you ever read anything from outside of the Fox News phrasebook? DADT harms the US military by ensuring a number of highly talented, dedicated and qualified servicemen and women are discharged for stupid petty nonsense reasons that nobody can actually justify with evidence or logic.

Basically, feel-bad conservatism is mucking up the military :rolleyes:

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And feel-bad conservatism has been steadily losing the culture war for decades... despite their best efforts.

No wonder he feels so frustrated.

I kinda feel sorry for him... not. :D

16. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I'm in the military and while I have no problem working alongside gays, I still don't think it's the right thing to do. I'm not homophobic, far from it, but I don't agree it's the same thing as being born into a certain race or culture. Being gay has slowly been accepted by our society as being the same thing, but I still don't know how much I believe that.

Less than 5% of our population is gay, and less than 1% of our population enlists in the military. So by excluding homosexuals form the military I don't think we're missing out on much. Besides, if they are highly qualified, they are always free to work as DoD Civilians and contractors.

While I am aware there are very many "normal" homosexuals out there who keep their sexual orientation private and go about their lives, there are also a lot of outspoken individuals who are using this "pro-gay" movement to further their agenda and I think that's why this whole military thing has become such a hot topic.

Who cares if they are gay? The current policy does need to be revised, do what you please sexually, just shut up about it. And i think the same could be said about everyone. Just because you like having sex with women doesn't mean you need to advertise it at work.

The military already has problems with straight couples sneaking off and hiding to do their thing, and I'm sure we'll have the same problems with homosexuals. I just think we need to be sure it doesn't become, "i'm gay first and a soldier second".

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No reason, then?
    This line seems strangely familiar.
    It is not the same thing. It is an expression of sexual orientation.

Besides being highly questionable figures, your math is ludicrous. If 5% (a very low figure) of the population is gay, then 5% of the potential military is gay.
    Why can't they do the job they want to do?

What is this famous agenda of which you speak? And in what way does this not apply to the outspoken heterosexuals furthering their own "agenda"?

You, for one, clearly.
    You do not risk being dismissed from the service for "advertising" your heterosexuality.

18. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I really do not see a problem with Gays being in the military.

They only thing I fail to understand is why many homosexual need appear to need to where the homosexuality like a flag. Isnt your sexuality really a pretty private, personal thing?

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sexuality is advertised everywhere.

20. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Why is it so uncomfortable when a homosexual does something to call attention to his sexuality, but not when a heterosexual calls attention to his sexuality? Is there a reason to be more disturbed by a gay man wearing a tight shirt and tight pants than a a heterosexual man wearing the same thing? Or a heterosexual woman showing off cleavage and wearing a short skirt?

21. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

People react to different things for different reasons. If I saw a homosexual couple out I would not be uncomfortable with their presence, but if they were doing things were not publicly appropriate i would be offended, though I would be offended if i saw a hetero couple doing the same.

I just really dont see the need to advertise your sexuality in a blatant, overt fashion, whether it be gay or straight.

I mean, I dont go out of my way to advertise my heterosexuality. I dont even brag about my female conquests to the few male friends I have.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So what are you saying?

Are all your gay buddies just going on and on about all the tail they've been banging?

And you'd rather they talk football instead?

23. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Overeact and read too much into things much?

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What else could be the explanation?

Other than you maybe making up problems that don't exist?

When was the last time a gay man bragged to you about butt-sex glocke12?

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

People should be able to talk about their families or significant others without the fear of losing their livliehood. WTF does it always come down to sex with you guys?