Federal Judge Rules NSA Bulk Phone Record Collection Unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Dec 16, 2013.

1. bradl, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

A couple of months ago, I started a thread about how the collection of your data would be made, regardless of whatever 4th Amendment rights you have.

Well, things just got interesting.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...bulk-phone-record-collection-unconstitutional

This may spur Apple, Google, Facebook, and others to be more active in protecting their user's data from any warrant-less seizing/collecting of data by the NSA.

BL.

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Expect a SCOTUS showdown.

And the people will lose because the liberal wing is all about empowering government and it won't be hard to swing one conservative based upon the ACA ruling.

I want to be wrong but the only justice I see protecting individual civil liberty on this for sure is Thomas and maybe Alito.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't entirely understand this assertion, unless you think a truly conservative administration rather than merely a GOP backed one would somehow be different.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'm not sure I'm following your retort. Do you mind rephrasing?

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Sure. You said the people would lose because the liberal wing is all about empowering government. I was trying to think of the last time any administration was differed from that stance, although I sincerely hope this is struck down.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Democrats and Republicans both want the NSA to continue what it's doing. There is no party line on this one.

But I agree. The SCOTUS ( mostly conservative ) will wind up with this and just say it's part of keeping the "homeland" secure.

7. hulugu, Dec 16, 2013

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This statement shows just how much bias can blind someone to on-the-ground facts.

EDIT: Coming back to the thread, I realized I've misread your post. You mean the liberal wing of the Supreme Court.

8. dec. Suspended

dec.

The idiotic "liberal"-bla bla backfires when you consider under which legislation the Prism Surveillance Program was established. Thanks for your attention :) .

Edit: Just to be clear, I think that the subject matter is happening too many levels above the usual, narrow minded liberal/republican-discussions for them to be of any relevance for it.

9. Technarchy, Dec 16, 2013

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I see...

In this case I wasn't referring to the White House or legislative. I was speaking about the high court itself.

Bush, Obama, Clinton,..doesn't matter. The court will side with federal power and not individual civil liberty.

Edit: Returning back to my first post.

The liberal justices will go along with federal power
    Ruth Bader Ginsberg
    Sonia Sotomayor
    Elena Kagan
    Stephen G. Breyer
    Anthony Kennedy centrist but will most likely go along with federal power.

John Roberts will join the liberal wing...just call it a tax and he's sold...

Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia will dissent.

Clarence Thomas will probably flip the hell out and dissent x 1000

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm guessing you're right and this won't stand up to an appeal. However even if it does the NSA has no accountability and there isn't any way to verify if they actually comply with the court and stop or just try to get a bit better at hiding what they are doing.