Federal Judge says Trump violates 1A when blocking critics on Twitter

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, May 23, 2018.

1. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

A federal judge in NY has ruled that the President violates the First Amendment rights of other users if blocking them from his official Twitter account, since it is deemed a government account. She had suggested earlier that it was acceptable to mute rather than block the accounts if he did not wish to read criticisms of his tweets.

https://apnews.com/5ace6b3bd9d4472690b920f4e7614476/Judge:-President-can't-block-critics-on-Twitter

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Really? What planet did this judge come from? Talk about a potentially precedent setting decision. Ludicrous.

What's next? Dev's have to change all these types of apps to prevent blocking? :rolleyes:

3. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

If you read the whole piece, then it's only precedent-setting for a President of the United States who has elected to deem his Twitter account an instrument of the White House. The simplest thing to do would be to have his assistant(s) go in there and unblock the accounts and change the setting to mute them.... or they could spend some taxpayer bucks and take the decision up the chain to the Supreme Court to make his base happy. First Amendment cases tend to get short shrift up top though. Many a Democrat, Republican and independent has been unhappy trying to get 1A case rulings overturned...

5. AsherN macrumors 6502

He's turned his private account into a government account. The ruling is that the government does not have the right to block people. You know, free speech and the right of the people to petition the government and all.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

how does Trump's personal twitter account that he had years before he ran for President become a Government account?

there already is a twitter account for the President @Potus

is this judge originally from Hawaii?

7. AsherN macrumors 6502

When he started to use it for government purposes. And not use @Potus. When the Press secretary said that statement on his personal account is official government policy.

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Awesome!

So does this mean Twitter usage is now protected by the 1st Amendment?

9. LizKat thread starter macrumors 601

LizKat

Try reading the piece (or the ruling). Or, here's another quote if that's so difficult. The bolding below is mine but the actions Trump has taken to make that account governmental were his... and the judge and the whole world is aware of it. When a guy tweets policy changes that only the prez can tweet, he's making government policy.

10. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Yes, when replying to government tweets, like Trump's.

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Kinda dumb but at least it’s settled. Mute them and move on.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Trump and his communications team have repeatedly, for months, declared that his Twitter is how he directly communicates to the public outside the constraints of the media. Are you calling their own pronouncements lies?

13. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Trump tweets are the 21st century version of official White House press releases. The president shouldn't be allowed to block some citizens from reading them. That said, I've never understood why Trump blocks anyone on Twitter. Is he actually trying to read his mentions?

14. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So some of it has free speech, some of it doesn't? If you always include an @ reference to a government account in your tweet, does that qualify it for 1st Amendment protection?

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

very strange ruling indeed... however, after watching Comey give Hillary a pass on destroying evidence under subpoena from Congress... anything is possible.

16. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I like when those of you who I normally disagree with find some common ground. Just wanted to say “my thoughts exactly.”

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How is it strange? The president has made it clear since election that his Twitter is his official way of communicating to the public. HIS OWN STATEMENTS declared them to be an official function of his office. There’s nothing private about it by his own admission.

18. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Sometimes I think that there are Trump-related topics that even his most ardent supporters cannot somehow tie to Hillary and every time I am wrong.

And, by the way, if Trump's twitter account is just his private account, why are taxpayers paying DOJ lawyers to defend this suit?

19. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

how is it strange? ... nobody is actually blocked from reading tweets from @RealDonaldTrump

every tweet Trump has ever made is viewable to the entire world... so big deal, he blocks some hate trolls.

maybe if his twitter was made private... but it's not, everyone can view his tweets.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I’ve never (and will never) used Twitter so I have to confess I truly don’t know the difference between blocking/private/following/etc.

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

only by making his account private would he be able to stop people from reading his tweets... as it is now, everyone in the world can read every tweet he's ever made.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hmmm. If I cared enough I’d read the ruling to figure out what this Judge’s understanding of a “block” is, but honestly this thing is just a tempest in a teapot in my view.

Thanks for the explainer, now I officially know more about using twitter than I ever hoped I would.

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I thought blocking someone prevented them from seeing your tweets?

24. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

You can see them if you're not logged in.

This wouldn't even be an issue if he wasn't such a gigantic moron in the first place.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You’re a social media Luddite too?