Feds admit to storing full body scans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20012583-281.html
    For the last few years, federal agencies have defended body scanning by insisting that all images will be discarded as soon as they're viewed. The Transportation Security Administration claimed last summer, for instance, that "scanned images cannot be stored or recorded."

Now it turns out that some police agencies are storing the controversial images after all. The U.S. Marshals Service admitted this week that it had surreptitiously saved tens of thousands of images recorded with a millimeter wave system at the security checkpoint of a single Florida courthouse.

I wonder what will come out of this. This is a major breach of trust with the flying public. I would hope some heads roll, this type of stuff starts up high; I am not suggesting the White House. I am suggesting someone high up in the US Marshall's service needs to take a walk.

They already knew the public didn't trust them and now they reinforce the idea that that as a whole the government cannot be trusted. I still don't understand why they cannot use software to remove the human from the picture and leave everything else, something akin to what the Running Man (or was that Total Recall) security system was shown as.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We all knew this was going to happen. This should be stopped now.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'm a frequent flier and I will just say one thing.... DISGUSTING! Stop it, seriously.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- it shouldn't have. We all knew this would happen. Didn't take long for them to prove us right, did it?

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

? the government version of a box of Playboys under the bed?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

OK, so how long until nude-o-scope images of a celebrity, revealing that they have fake tits or a small dick (or both :eek:) are leaked and the TSA gets sued? I give it till the end of the year.

And bets on the celebrity? I've got 5 bucks on Lady Gaga for both. :D

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Lol

lol@ lady gag reference.

Solution.... PRIVATIZE IT!

If it were up to airlines to provide their own security checkpoints for themselves, whichever dirtbag company started keeping those scans, they would be off the market in a moments time.

But instead we are left with another gigantically useless blanket bureaucracy that is left largely unchecked and makes life harder for EVERYONE.

Useless. I used to hate flying. Then we get the TSA and they get their stupid grubby mitts all over my cameras and lenses and computers, then I started to HATE flying.

After hearing stories like this, I really just want to never fly again. Ever. Its not worth the hassle/headache. If my car can take me there, I will use my car.

I would like to see the airlines boycott the TSA. Imagine how excellent that would be? They stop servicing routes until the feds get their hands out of their business. Awesome

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This problem isn't just in airports. It's in government buildings also.

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Well

If you dont want your body scanned by the government, dont go into a government building. totally different than having your body scanned to fly on a private airliner to conduct private business.

You would think, at least...

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I'm not sure if you heard lately, but when you have to do either one, you don't really have a choice.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Great. Then we'd have to pay to have someone scan us (much like we have to pay for checked bags now) and then have them drool over the photos later. Yeah, that's the answer.

Sorry, no ********** way. This entire idea needs to go bye-bye.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

By saving the images the government can use them to identify a person simply by comparing scans.

Think about that.

14. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Your argument proves my point.

You say that The body scanners need to go, that nobody wants them.

Ok, fair enough. I am 100% behind you on this.

That is where you lose me though. I propose that we leave it up to the individual airlines to decide how to counter "terror." Private entities have accountability. I can DIRECTLY affect them by choosing whether or not to fund them. The GOV'T, however, is immune to this effect. Nobody wants body scanners, but we have them, and they are hear to stay AFAIK. How do we get rid of them? Vote for a liberal? HA. Vote conservative? HAHA. HA

One airline may employ body scanners, one airline may profile (AH THE HUMANITY :eek:), the next airline may choose to hire armed security for each airplane, whatever.

Lets say I have a problem with having my body scanned. I don't use that airline. Let's say I don't want to support an airline that profiles? Don't give them my business!
    Dollars to doughnuts the airlines that use body scanners go bye bye.

I can already see some of you guys foaming at the mouth over this libertarian viewpoint on the matter. ;)

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And what if a low cost carrier (think Spirit, who now charges for carry on luggage) does away with security alltogether to save costs? Why put everyone at risk to save a couple bucks?

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo. Sorry MattSepeta- free market is a huge fail on this one. There should be standards.

17. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

lol

Ok. Think about it.

I buy a Cadillac Escalade. SAFE vehicle. VERY SAFE. If I crash into another vehicle while I'm driving this guy, chances are, I live.

Or, I could save a few bucks and buy a KIA Rio. If I crash into another vehicle, I will get the crap end of the stick.

Free market principles in action.

Can you explain how this differs from the airline industry?

I can't imagine thinking that way.... This is HUGE FAIL for GOVT!!! This entire thread is dedicated to bitching about GOVT FAIL!

Unless you can explain to me how a federal Gov't entity invading peoples privacy directly as a result of a federal Gov't "Act" created by the federal Gov't and enforced by the federal Gov't is a "free market failure." LOL!

Oh, wait, I can see it already: Not enough Govt!!! We need a bureaucracy to oversee the TSA. Then one to oversee the overseers. Etc.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But auto manufacturers are regulated by government safety standards that they all must meet. Try again.

It is. But it can be fixed as well. And chill out. You're becoming unhinged, and it's not pretty.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes. The people in the WTC and Pentagon didn't get to decide which airline passengers on their way to LAX flew.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

A good illustration of the thought process of a Libertarian. Absolutley zero concern for whom he might crash into.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, you made me spill my drink nice going.

On a side not, dammit, it's hard for me to tell my and your posts apart.

22. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

The best way to fix something is to stop doing it.

But I AM pretty!

23. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Excuse me?

There is every concern. I am illustrating the point that I am totally free to buy a less safe car. That affects me. Not the next guy. Crashing into someone is crashing into someone.... If you crash into someone then you are probably responsible for it. Don't for a minute assume that I wouldn't. Why would you get the idea that I don't care about them?

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's odd. Although you had every concern your little illustration above didn't mention anyone but yourself. Perhaps a case of Libertarian oversight in an intoxicated free market idiom.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your Freudian slip is showing.