Feds sue to block Arizona illegal immigrant law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RawBert, Jul 6, 2010.

1. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Go Feds!

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I heard there were lots of really cute girls going to school at U of A. They can secede as soon as they send the hot girls back to the USA. It would be scary if Mexico was suddenly overrun with cute blondes.

Great news!

This could be another slap in the face for Obama! Remember his failed Olympic bid and how he had to return to the US in disgrace? Obama has the touch of death, many candidates don't even want his support, because we've seen how that has worked out for some.

The Feds are on the wrong side of the law on this issue and hopefully they'll lose their ridiculous lawsuit and have it thrown out of court like a piece of garbage.

If the Feds cared about the law or about American citizens, they'd be suing sanctuary cities and not Arizona, which is merely trying to get the Feds to do their damn job. Obama is a supporter of criminals and illegals and he is not on the side of the American people on this issue.

In the future, the actions undertaken by the Obama regime will be looked upon with disgust and disdain by future generations.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Do you actually think immigration law is NOT something the USA should control? Seriously, really? Please tell me that's now what you really think. LOL

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given how much the Olympics costs and how much the US doesn't have the money to host it it sounds like Obama managed to save you guys several billion dollars. Not bad for a days work!

Now if only he could come over here and do the same for us it'd be great.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If the Feds would actually enforce the law, I would agree with you.

Obama has had a ton of success in Copenhagen, I bet that he hates that city now! I also forgot about how he also had to return from the failed Copenhagen Climate Conference without having accomplished anything. The only thing those people accomplished was to burn a whole bunch of fuel and further damage the planet! The hot air coming from the mouths of those politicians and hypocritical environmentalists could be enough to power an entire mid-sized city.

9. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

So... let me get this straight...

1) The federal government has laws on the books which make undocumented immigration, ILLEGAL.
    2) The federal government refuses to enforce their own laws causing unnecessary economic strife, murder, kidnappings, etc. on the population of Arizona.
    3) Arizona passes a constitutional law aiming to simply enforce the federal statutes and to maintain the law of the land.
    4) The feds decide that instead of changing their laws on the books, that they will continue to simply not enforce the laws they have, attempt to deny a State the right to protect their own land/people, and actively fight the enforcement of any such constitutional law through meaningless threats and ridiculous litigation.

How anyone can defend the actions of the federal government in this context is absolutely beyond me. How sad that the letter of the law, national sovereignty, states rights, simple security, etc. would not matter to some in this case...

I can't wait until this ultra big-government loser of a president is long gone so that we can get a real leader in office who won't seek to subvert the constitution in order to fulfill his own warped sense of right and wrong at ever step. A leader who won't invite foreign leaders (mexico) with far more stringent immigration laws/standards/punishment to come into our congress and lecture our politicians (with the Democrats clapping and cheering him on) who are simply following the law.

Those who think that this is about racism are so ill-informed and reactionary it's barely worth even dealing with. Bottom line, we're against all types of illegal immigration. It doesn't matter if we've got Mexicans, Canadians, Russians, French, or Swiss coming across the border... illegal undocumented immigration is dangerous and illegal. Straight-up.

10. 184550 Guest

As much as it pains me to agree with Obama on this, I actually liked most of what he said last week at AU on immigration. The only part I really disagree with is letting the children of illegals stay here. I think that they should be deported with their parents.

+1

I whole heartedly agree.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

IF they were born here, they are Americans. Simple as that. Unless of course you have a problem with our constitution?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fivepoint you do realise that the Feds suing doesn't necessarily mean that they will win. They will only win if their legal case is strong enough.

The US does have (relatively) free courts...

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

With everything he said? Really? You're smarter than that.

Arizona's law will result in racial profiling, there's just no way around that. And that definitely is a problem that the fed should be involved with.

The constitution isn't perfect, that why there's something called amendments.

Two illegals illegally entering the United States should not have their child automatically become an American citizen, just because an illegal female happened to give birth to some baby while they were in this country illegally.

It should take more effort to becoming an American citizen than just any random illegal female who decides to spread their legs and out pops an American citizen, presto! That is an insult to all legal immigrants and the people who took the time and effort to become legal citizens, while also respecting the immigration laws.

15. 184550 Guest

I'm not sure where I disputed their legal status. Mind showing me where I did?

However, I do have a problem with immigrants gaming the system. I would fully support any new law or changes to current laws that closed this gap.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Precisely. He's just following law there.

17. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Reality sucks. So basically people would turn a blind eye because it offends the sensibilities of other people who are not directly affected by the problem?

The Federal Government already prosecutes businesses who hire illegals, how is the Federal Government doing that? I bet it ain't by ignoring the race of the employees.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please- I live in a major city with tons of illegals. I know what goes on.

The problem with this is that you end up harassing legal citizens. It's not OK for police to just go up to anyone who looks hispanic and ask them for their papers. It's NOT. It's against everything this country stands for.

It's pretty easy to go through employees' records without harassing or detaining them.

19. RawBert thread starter macrumors 68000

RawBert

That's where this AZ law is flawed. It's based on who looks like an illegal.

If you see this guy walking around (minus the get-up), no one's gonna say a word.
    [​IMG]

See this guy walking around - call the cops!
    [​IMG]

Which would you guess is illegal?
    Would anyone question the Canadian guy?
    Do you think that's fair?

That IS profiling.

I'm a naturalized US citizen, originally born about 200 miles south of AZ.
    Should my brown skin warrant questioning?

What about illegal Asians? Who's gonna ask them for their proof? No one.

20. 184550 Guest

The way I look at it, is that it's like a state-wide, roving license check. Except the police are checking immigration papers instead of licenses.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It doesn't matter how you spin it, it comes up wrong.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

And yet they really do not do much to control it. They do not go after hard the companies that hire illegals. They do not go after places illegals live. ICE fails at its job plan and simple.

The boarder states get screwed because people up north do not really have direct dealings with the problems. If the fed would do its job correctly laws like Arizona's would not be passed.

I do not agree with the Arizona law but it steams from the larger problem that the ICE is not doing its job and the boarder states are suffering. If anything it should send a message to the federal government that it needs to crack down HARD on illegal immigration.

Another way to make is simpler is no state will issues a DL or an ID card unless you are hear legally (as it stands it is possible to get a DL with out being here legally in some places) Make DL and ids much stronger and better. That way all you need is that idea to prove to the cops that you are hear legally.

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A few thoughts:

Bush didn't deal with this problem any better than Obama and neither will a President of any party after him--because its not possible without becoming a police state. Arizona cannot set immigration policy since its not a sovereign nation.

It would have been better if our immigration laws had been enforced from the beginning but they were not--there is little we can do about that now. Laws that encourage racial profiling will make matters worse.

The remaining option is to get more liberal about making "illegals" legal. A legal immigrant will be in a better position to demand equal pay--and that should drive up wages.

Hoards of relatively young, hard working immigrant workers who pay into the tax system will only do good for our ailing social security funding problem.

The country was hurt far worse by greedy, unregulated real estate transactions and shady banking activity in a few short years than decades of providing medical care to new citizens.

24. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

No. I think that racial profiling is not a good thing but it is sometimes needed. Absolutely nothing personal but you must realize that most that come here illegally aren't university professors. They are far from middle class too. And you know what that means. I live in a city that has quite a few people from south of the border. In fact, the whole downtown has signs in Portuguese because there are many Brazilians living here. And while some of those people are just fine to deal with, unfortunately with many I'd rather not for they're rather unpleasant. This is not to say that other nationalities (including my own) don't have their unpleasant people as well but some more than others. This is coming from somebody who immigrated from another part of the world as well.

25. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4