Feds to Texas: no women's health funding for you!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think it's amusing that Rick Perry is so upset about federal money being withdrawn. Of course, I always think it's amusing when conservatives complain about the federal government not being there for them.

Beyond that, however, I think this is a bit of a risky move. In a way, it'll punish the poorer women of Texas for something that the Texas legislature did.

On the other hand, Sebelius is probably on strong legal ground. If that's what federal policy says, and the Texas statehouse knew the consequences, then the blame ultimately falls on them.

And, given the fact that other states are planning something similar, it's probably best that Sebelius pick this fight now, before it spreads.

That noise you hear in the background is Republicans getting up their bluster. Can't wait to hear Romney, Santorum, Limbaugh, McConnell, Boehner and all the rest complaining about this. I'm sure it'll turn into a bitchfest in which Sebelius and Obama get some kind of fictitious kickback for defending Planned Parenthood. Those Republicans are so predictable.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

"We aren't going to fund planned parenthood because they perform abortions". Fed government: " Fine we are cutting off all of your women's health funding"....

Really? How about cutting some highway funding instead of ****ing over poor women? :rolleyes: Nice moves dems. Republicans don't want women taking contraception anyway remember? Leave it to Sebilius what a ****ing dim lightbulb

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Maybe the dems finally decided to grow a pair and stop reasoning with republicans. Our way or the highway, bitches. We're taking this country back all the way in 2012.
    Therefore they're intellectually inferior, what point are you trying to make here. There's a lot more to women's health than just abortion and contraception that will now be cut off, which is why Rick Perry is crying foul. So if Mr. Smallgovernmentstayoutofourlives wants his free government money, he better fund planned parenthood.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you want to call giving your opponent exactly what they want and giving them an excuse, sure I guess that's the intellectual thing to do. My idea would be to take something they actually want away but whatever. :eek:

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the past, threat of loss of highway funds has been used to encourage states to adopt more fuel-efficient speed limits and for other driving-related issues. Not sure the mechanism exists, nor that I'd want it to, whereby you can take away totally unrelated funds.

I could just see Republicans using that rationale. Your state allows gay marriage? Fine, no SCHIP (children's health insurance) funds for you.

You see how that could spiral out of control?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I know they want to make a point of it but it does seem that they are cutting off the nose to spite the face. Why make the poor suffer even more?

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The bigger issue is that the federal government will basically use blackmail to get their way.

8. Rodimus Prime, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Problem with your idea is it is not legal and the courts would over turn it.
    The punishment (aka funding cut) must be related to what the state did wrong.

He is a real kicker the GOP knew when they pasted the law cutting funding they way they did this would be the punishment from the fed. They were warned back in April or May. It was in the papers here in Houston. Rick Perry knew this was coming.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

How exactly is this blackmail? First of all texas was warned before they passed this bill. If you're receiving federal money for something, you're in no position to pass laws on how it can and cannot be used, beggars can't be choosers. What part of this is difficult to understand?

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I believe the phrase is: giving them just enough rope to hang themselves.

Quite appropriate for Texas, don'tchathink?

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I am talking in general terms. If the state does something the government doesn't agree with they cut funding untill you comply.

We don't like your speed limit laws no highway funding. Legalize pot more funding cut.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If they're funding what you don't agree with, then yes. Shouldn't the feds have a say in how THEIR money is being spent? It's not a loan, the feds are handing states money for certain uses.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And where does the money come from, the tax payers.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And Texas doesn't agree with Planned Parenthood, so they cutting access to them.

It seems to me that the feds are giving the state a taste of their own medicine.

What would you have the federal government do?

15. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The fed is perfectly within their rights. They gave the money with conditions attached. You violate the conditions, poof!, there goes the money.

BTW, Texas is certainly allowed to continue to provide women's health care using their own money. Whether they choose to do so or not is up to them, of course.

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would say its more tit for tat than blackmail.

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Your point?

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Blackmail would be making perry comply under duress of leaking his sex tape.

19. eric/ Guest

eric/

Fantastic point if I may so so myself.

The federal government using funding to blackmail states is bad because there is supposed to be a balance between states and the federal government, and in turn the federal government uses that money to enforce it's morality (IE drug laws).

That being said, obviously the whole situation in Texas is ridiculous with the abortions and everything.

I just don't agree with using coercive methods to achieve results.

----------

Well, the point is that the taxpayers in Texas have voted representatives who reflect their values, no matter how stupid they are.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Dems gave them enough rope to hang the dems and poor women at the same time. This was an idiotic decision and is exactly what repubs wanted.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

But the problem was Texas knew when they passed the law that they would loss funding. The rules for medicare funding from the feds are pretty crystal clear.

The line had to be drawn in the sand. The GOP and Rick Perry in Texas tried to call the fed bluff and lost big time.

Texas change the law and go back to funding like they should and they get the money back. Plan and simple. This is 100% GOP fault. They passed the law in Texas knowing full well this would be the result. I am glad that the fed is not giving into them. GOP way of running as been to whin and complain until they get what they want. It is long pass the point that we should stop giving into these babies.

----------

Tax payers from all over the nation. Not just Texas. So in a sense it is money from all over the country. That means the rules for using it are and should be different.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Repubs don't even want private companies covering birth control what makes people think they will care if these programs get scrapped? All they have to say is the feds cut funding.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Low-information voters might accept that.

But those knowledgable of the situation wouldn't so easily buy that line.

The Komen for the Cure Planned Parenthood debacle showed the public isn't going to tolerate this kind of restriction. While Texans may differ in how they respond, I suspect this won't go over well ... even in the Lone Star State.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The words,"in order to form a more perfect union " mean nothing to you? The government has always used the carrot and stick approach and there's nothing wrong with that if it provides equal protection.
    Speed limits seat belt laws drinking age etc.

25. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

How is this coercive? It's been very widely known that what the Fed's requirements were and Texas government refused to budge. They had more than enough time to either change their stance or prepare for the lack of funding.

Also troubling is the fact that well paid government officials seem to ignore the fact that Planned Parenthood provides a hell of a lot more than abortions and birth control.